DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default microsoft email clients

Any of you gone from using Qualcomm (not Mozilla) Eudora to one of the Microsoft email clients? Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I used to use Eudora, my wife still does; I switched to Pegasus and more recently to Outlook. Other than it, MS has a history of introducing new clients and ditching others every so often, so I wouldn't waste my time on any of the toys-of-the-moment.

Outlook's ok; as an email client it has a few advantages over Pegasus/Eudora; Pegasus has advantages over Outlook. The calendar in Outlook is so so, not really as good as I was used to with Ecco, but it synchs over a USB cable with my phone, which is the main reason I'm using it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I use Eudora (the old version--7whatever) for my cserve addy and my domain addy--works fine in Win7/64bit--and I use Thunderbird primarily for my mail.com addy (via IMAP) although I do have cserve and my verizon email also defined for backup although I don't use my verizon account at all. I've never used any Microsoft email software and have absolutely no plans to...

Oh...and I have 2 gmail accounts but I don't use them really at all--one was when I worked for google and I had to use it and I created the other one for reasons I don't remember now. I do check them every now and again...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I use Eudora (the old version--7whatever) for my cserve addy and my domain addy--works fine in Win7/64bit--and I use Thunderbird primarily for my mail.com addy (via IMAP) although I do have cserve and my verizon email also defined for backup although I don't use my verizon account at all. I've never used any Microsoft email software and have absolutely no plans to...

Oh...and I have 2 gmail accounts but I don't use them really at all--one was when I worked for google and I had to use it and I created the other one for reasons I don't remember now. I do check them every now and again...

Terrie

STEVE / TERRIE:

wow... EUDORA 7 is still supported? I just made a post about looking for a mail client and I would never figure out how to set my AOL mail up as IMAP in Eudora 7 been ages since I used EU (( VBG ))

-- Christopher
CMAR606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'm not sure of the versions ... IIRC Eudora 7 was the last version. With my impeccable sense of timing, I bought a copy for my wife *just* before they set it loose, gave it away for free. Ah well. It was cheap and she's happy. WinWin.

IIRC, they chopped her up and fed the bits to Mozilla.

If you like the way Eudora works but want something with more power, Pegasus is still being supported.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I'm not sure of the versions ... IIRC Eudora 7 was the last version. With my impeccable sense of timing, I bought a copy for my wife *just* before they set it loose, gave it away for free. Ah well. It was cheap and she's happy. WinWin.

IIRC, they chopped her up and fed the bits to Mozilla.

If you like the way Eudora works but want something with more power, Pegasus is still being supported.

wow was just looking at screenshots of PEG looks complicated :X

yep they did feed her to MOZILLA ugh
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> wow was just looking at screenshots of PEG looks complicated

It's not that difficult (and it's far easier to figure out how to DO stuff in Peg than in Outlook; Peg comes with good help. Outlook ... well. Good luck.)

I switched from a very old copy of Eudora to Peg with very little trouble.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Qualcomm Eudora is no longer supported by Qualcomm. Mozilla is/was making a Eudora-like version of Thunderbird, but I don't know what's going on now. I am still using the final version of Qualcomm Eudora in 64bit Win7.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Qualcomm Eudora is no longer supported by Qualcomm. Mozilla is/was making a Eudora-like version of Thunderbird, but I don't know what's going on now. I am still using the final version of Qualcomm Eudora in 64bit Win7.
Yeah, I just installed Eudora 7 and I cant get my AOL IMAP account to work it shows me the folders but when I click on INBOX nothing happens... I followed the aol.com directions to a T.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cmar606: Yeah, I just installed Eudora 7 and I cant get my AOL IMAP account to work it shows me the folders but when I click on INBOX nothing happens... I followed the aol.com directions to a T.
It sounds like you may be clicking on the incorrect icon. To retrieve mail in Eudora, you need to click on the "Check Mail" icon or File > Check Mail or ctrl-m...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote