DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Win 7 Temp Internet Files

I recently noticed that I cannot navigate to Temporary Internet Files folder, even though I have Windows Explorer set to show hidden folders. I can't use the Win7 search feature to search it by searching the branch to which it belongs. But I can use a third part search utility to find files in it by searching a folder above it, and telling the search utility to check subfolders. Once it finds files there, I can tell the search utility to open Explorer on that level. And then Windows Explorer displays the contents of the folder. It displays the path down to it on the left navigation panel, and in the breadcrumb at the top. But if a click any folder above it, it disappears.

This is an odd way for this to work.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Temporary Internet Files folder is manipulated by IE and IE stores stuff there--I don't believe any other browser uses it, Firefox doesn't. Have you tried opening IE > Tools > Internet Options > General tab and look in the "Browsing History" section, click on the "Settings" button and then in the next window, click on the "View Files" button.

It drives me nuts having to look in all the various places for temp files so I created a folder on my C:\ drive--Temp--and set Win7 (did this in WinXP too) to use that folder:

1. As noted, create a new folder wherever you'd like to have the temp files go--I created C:\Temp

2. Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > click on the "Environment" button--bottom right of the window

3. In "User Variables for win7userid", highlight "Temp", click on the "Edit" button and in the "Variable Value" field, enter your new temp location--in my case, I entered "C:\Temp" (no quotes)

4. In "User Variables for win7userid", highlight "Tmp", click on the "Edit" button and in the "Variable Value" field, enter your new temp location--I again entered "C:\Temp" (no quotes)

5. In the "System Variables" section, scroll down to the "Temp" entry and highlight it, click on the "Edit" button and in the "Variable Value" field, enter your new temp location--again, I entered "C:\Temp" (no quotes)

6. In the "System Variables" section, scroll down to the "Tmp" entry and highlight it, click on the Edit button and in the "Variable Value" field, enter your new temp location--again, I entered "C:\Temp" (no quotes)

7. OK out

8. I rebooted at this point--not sure if you need to

9. All existing temp/tmp files are automatically moved to the new location

Once you've done this, then it's very easy to check to see what temp files you have because they are all in the same master folder (in my case C:\Temp). The "Temporary Internet Files" folder is also in the new location and you can open it and check it and delete stuff there although it can sometimes be easier to just use IE's Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > Browsing History section > Settings > View Files and/or Delete approach...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> 8. I rebooted at this point--not sure if you need to
>> 9. All existing temp/tmp files are automatically moved to the new location

I think the reboot's necessary to get rid of any temp files that are in the old location but not to get the system to begin using the new location. Just did it here w/o the reboot and found files in the old Windows\Temp location (deleted 'em manually though).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I think the reboot's necessary to get rid of any temp files that are in the old location but not to get the system to begin using the new location.
Yes...I think you are correct. I tend to reboot just as a matter of course after any sort of change like that...

Terrie
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Terrie. I'll take a look into this if I keep using IE.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Thanks, Terrie. I'll take a look into this if I keep using IE.
You're welcome...there are other things that can use IE sort of in the background--MailWasher for example does--and so you can get things in Temporary Internet Files even if you don't use IE directly although there usually aren't too many entries in there if you don't use IE directly. I usually take a browse once a month or so to see what might be there using the IE's Tools > Options approach.

Oh! Almost forgot...Windows Update will put stuff in there too so if you have it set to download and install updates automatically, you will find entries in there for that...

Terrie
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I'll keep an eye on it to see what's going on. Even if I don't move it, I can get to the folder using the method I mentioned. Interestingly, the only reason this came up is I wanted to download some photos, and didn't want to right click on them. So I searched AppData to see if I could get some hits in the Opera cache. I could not find them. Then I viewed them in Firefox searched AppData. Nothing. But after one viewing with IE, there were the photos, complete with correct files names.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

Weird that they were there if you'd originally viewed them in Opera but I don't know how Opera works so maybe it uses that file too...Firefox doesn't seem to use it at all...

Terrie
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

They were not there because of Opera. What I did is view them in IE and then search for them. I guess I should not have left that out of my explanation.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I guess I should not have left that out of my explanation.
Oh well...no big deal although it makes more sense now...'-}}

Terrie