DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default The bizarre reality that is Asus tech support...

I had hoped that my initial experience with Asus tech support was an aberration but it appears that it's the reality. My latest go-round was to ask about the power consumption of my new Asus PA248Q monitor. I thought I had asked my questions clearly:

"The specifications on the PA248Q monitor state a power consumption of 75W with a note that this does not include the use of the 4 port USB3 hub. I want to use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) with the PA248Q.

What would be the appropriate UPS device power rating if using the MONITOR ONLY (usb port NOT in plugged in/cabled)?

What would be the appropriate UPS device power rating if using BOTH the MONITOR and the USB3 hub?"

The first response I received--4 days later--was that my question couldn't be answered because apparently the entire Asus world organization was on holiday (for...and I quote: "for the Mid-autumn festival and Chinese National Day") and I would have to wait an additional 5 days for any sort of answer--that would have been Oct. 7th and it is now Oct. 11th...

This evening I recieved the following email from Asus tech support--please re-read my initial query above and then read the following:

"For the issue" What would be the appropriate UPS device power rating if using the MONITOR ONLY (usb port NOT in plugged in/cabled)?", would you help to confirm the question below? In this case ,do you remove the power board ,only use the UPS supply power?"

It's like an alternate bizarre universe and sadly, the above is actually one of the clearer communications I've had with Asus tech support. It's not the language difference because I can deal with that, it's the totality of oddness that makes it weirder than weird. I guess the only thing to do is to take it for its entertainment value because otherwise, it's just really, really frustrating...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Um ... what??? LOL! I have had some bizarre tech support experiences lately but fortunately nothing as odd as yours.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
terrie
Staff

Glad it made you laugh...'-}}

I had a 6-7 email exchange with Asus tech support about how to set up and use the display port cable on the PA248Q monitor that was, while not as weird, was equally frustrating. The thing is that this is supposed to be tech support and not just general customer service so one would, I think, legitimately expect that there was some basic understanding of Asus products on a technical level. The questions I have asked have not been on an arcane level. They are basic questions that produce bizarre responses.

The idea that I would dismantle the monitor somehow removing the power connections so that I could somehow (magically???) connect the monitor to a UPS indicates to me that this poor person has no damned clue of what a UPS is and no idea of how the monitor works--in my reply I stated:

"The PA248Q monitor would be plugged into the Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) device using the PA248Q monitor's power cable supplied by Asus with one end of the power cable plugged into the appropriate connector on the PA248Q monitor and the other end plugged into an appropriate connector on the UPS device and the UPS device would be plugged into a wall electrical socket"

to make is perfectly clear how the connections worked.

What does that say about Asus training of their employees?

Terrie
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

Quote:
What does that say about Asus training of their employees?
Nothing good.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Exactly...

Terrie
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Terrie

Perhaps I'm missing something, apart from the delays and the language, but surely the answer to your first question is already there -- 75W -- and the answer to your second question depends on what you have plugged into the USB hub especially if the devices draw power from the hub and not from a powerbrick ....

Isn't the second question a "How long is a piece of string?"

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: and the answer to your second question depends on what you have plugged into the USB hub especially if the devices draw power from the hub and not from a powerbrick
Yes...that may indeed to true but the problem is that there is no information provided by Asus in their (skimpy) documentation about the USB3 hub so why not ask the source for more information?

Your observation does miss the point though...

The information I was requesting was not complicated, not arcane and there is no reason why I should not have had an intelligible answer--even something as simple as "it depends on what devices are plugged into the USB3 ports"--rather than the bizarre question and...of course, this is my 2nd go-round with Asus attempting to get additional (basic) information so perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to what appears to be the total inability of Asus technical support to answer basic, simple, technical questions about their own products.

Terrie