DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Michael Beloved

Default CS3

If anyone has a used or new CS3 which is for sale, please let me know at

axisnexus@gmail.com.

I misplaced mine. I have some files which I did in Illustrator CS3 which open in higher versions with strange masking. I need to open them in CS3 and re-save them then move them into a higher version of the software.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

You might take a browse around ebay to see what you can find. I wonder if there is an option in Illustrator--I've never used it--that is set and that's why you are seeing the strange masking?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Michael Beloved

Terrie,

I considered ebay and will use it as a last resort because those items carry a no return notice which means that if it is bad software, then it is the buyer's lost.

What happened I think is that in some of my older graphic which I did using Illus CS3, I used to store some pieces off the artboard.

Now when those files open in CS5 say, everything which is outside the artboard is masked and shows up as a skeletal box only.

What I need to do is to open it in CS3 and extend the artboard or move everything onto the artboard.

It reminds me of fossils. You can see them but they are masked so that you can't bring them back to life.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: I considered ebay and will use it as a last resort because those items carry a no return notice which means that if it is bad software, then it is the buyer's lost.
It certainly is becoming more common not to allow returns but there are sellers who do. I always use buy-it-now on ebay even though you may often pay a bit more because I find it easier and less annoying...'-}}

>>Now when those files open in CS5 say, everything which is outside the artboard is masked and shows up as a skeletal box only.

Ahhh...that must be very annoying. I take it that you can't extend the artboard in CS5 on the CS3 files so that the data is displayed/available? Is there an option in CS5 to allow you to open the file in a mode for an earlier version?

If you don't have too many of these sorts of files, maybe someone who has Illustrator CS3 could do the work so it might be worth checking out a good Illustrator list? Maybe offer to pay what would be a bit less than what it would cost you to buy CS3?

Terrie
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Michael Beloved

Terrie,

Thanks for those suggestions. I am not aware of an option in CS5. The artboard from an old file can be extended but it does not bring back in the stuff as it would have in the previous version.

O well, it is a good lesson to always be sure that everything if on the artboard since the technology moves faster than a moving target.

Believe it or not, CS3 programs are very difficult to find. One reason perhaps is that many artists upgraded instead of doing full clean installs of the newer versions, which means that they are still using their CS3 underneath as the basic program.

Just the fact that it is so hard to find this, tells a great story about the progression of the software.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: The artboard from an old file can be extended but it does not bring back in the stuff as it would have in the previous version.
Bummer!!!

Hope you can get it sorted out...

Terrie
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
John Spragens

I've hung on to my installation of CS3 (and it comes in handy). Let me know if I can help.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Michael Beloved

Thanks John!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
BobRoosth

I also still have CS3 (Windows) installed. Just upgraded to CS6...
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Michael Beloved

BobRoosth,

If you upgrade, then it means that you use CS6 even though the CS3 registry files are still in your system.

I assume this is correct, since it is not a clean (full) install of CS6, in which case you cannot use CS3.

Correct me, if this is the wrong assumption.