DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Mac Time Capsule advice

My Time Machine got very slow, and is right now out of service (mainly because my system was in a mess, and I took it off). I am thinking of taking Ann’s advice and moving on to a Time Capsule.

I have getting poor Airport reception recently. My phone often lacks sufficient signal, for example. This is since I set up a new Airport Extreme a couple of months ago (in the same place as my old plain Airport). Before that, the phone usually worked.

Reception wasn’t perfect before; I think moving it to a more central location would be a good idea.

Am using an older iMac (late 2006) but have a newer 2007 model read to be set up any minute now. Both can run Snow Leopard 10.7.4 but I gather the new TC will not allow that?

Obviously could use advice.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
My Time Machine got very slow, and is right now out of service (mainly because my system was in a mess, and I took it off). I am thinking of taking Ann’s advice and moving on to a Time Capsule.

I have getting poor Airport reception recently. My phone often lacks sufficient signal, for example. This is since I set up a new Airport Extreme a couple of months ago (in the same place as my old plain Airport). Before that, the phone usually worked.

Reception wasn’t perfect before; I think moving it to a more central location would be a good idea.

Am using an older iMac (late 2006) but have a newer 2007 model read to be set up any minute now. Both can run Snow Leopard 10.7.4 but I gather the new TC will not allow that?

Obviously could use advice.

Thanks.
Snow Leopard is 10.6. The latest TC will work with Leopard (10.5) and newer, so that's no problem. I can't offer any advice as to the phone situation.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Snow Leopard is 10.6. The latest TC will work with Leopard (10.5) and newer, so that's no problem. I can't offer any advice as to the phone situation.
Okay — I am running Lion 10.7.4 on the late 2006 iMac right now, and it is up to date on the OS (needs Safari and other odds and ends).

And of course you are correct: The 27-inch arrived last summer, and is a 2011 model. (Have to move it to read the details, and will, soon.)

Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Just had another thought, although it might not be relevant. I'm on ADSL and I think you're on cable, right? But recently my internet connection was dropping out up to 6 times an hour, then being fine for nearly a day. I recently changed my phone over to my ISP, so I rang them and they put in a call to the wholesaler, who happens to be my previous phone provider. It turns out that there was a line fault, fortunately outside my property line, so it got fixed at no cost to me. I was having lots of phone interference. Are you getting that?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Just had another thought, although it might not be relevant. I'm on ADSL and I think you're on cable, right? But recently my internet connection was dropping out up to 6 times an hour, then being fine for nearly a day. I recently changed my phone over to my ISP, so I rang them and they put in a call to the wholesaler, who happens to be my previous phone provider. It turns out that there was a line fault, fortunately outside my property line, so it got fixed at no cost to me. I was having lots of phone interference. Are you getting that?
No. In fact, I have no complaints at all about the cable service (after years of agony with DSL). We just had the first major problem (and it did cause me to waste a day trying to fix it — I was no unused to having the cable fail!) and that is in 12 years.

Now if they would just fix their cable service, but I am getting the idea that idiotic cable broadcasts are the new norm.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
sky4forums

First 10.7.4 is Lion and while not the latest, Mountain Lion just came out, using a Time Capsule should not be a problem. It sounds like the Airport Extreme and the phone are interfering with each other. Can you change channels for the phone or the Airport Extreme?
Why or how is your "system is in a mess"? What does this mean?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
It sounds like the Airport Extreme and the phone are interfering with each other. Can you change channels for the phone or the Airport Extreme?
Probably could figure that out. But does it make sense that simply replacing my old Airport with the Airport Extreme would cause that sort of interference? Seemed odd to me.

However, I just bought a new phone system, about the same as the old one but a couple of years newer. Maybe it would make sense to set that up to see what it does to my phones (and Airport).

Phones have never been my best skill!

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
sky4forums

Quote:
But does it make sense that simply replacing my old Airport with the Airport Extreme would cause that sort of interference?
It might. The Airport Extreme may generate a stronger signal and use more radio bands. I was going on the fact that things got worse when you did the replacement. When something goes bad always look for what just changed.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: but have a newer 2007 model read to be set up any minute now.
Promises...promises...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote