DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Mushky

Default Enterprise/Business laptop

I am currently researching inexpensive business grade laptops. I have a primary desktop that takes care of most of my work. I need a laptop for a programming course and therefore need a enterprise grade laptop. It needs to be a Windows machine, and anyway I am not really into most Apple products.
Mushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'd add a few more specifics about what you want ... screen size, memory, HDD capacity and so on.

I'm not really sure what enterprise-grade means. I've seen secretaries iall but crippled by the pathetic computers they were given, and I've seen well-dressed executives on airplanes with very expensive, high-end computers ... playing solitaire. All enterprise-grade computers in that they were all members of some enterprise or other. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Kayza

I'm guessing that what she means is sturdy, good build quality, decent support & warranty.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Mushky

Well basically it needs to be able run either SQL Server Express 2008, SQL Server 2012 Express RTM, or Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2. Memory requirements are 1 gig ram (32-bit) or 2 gig (64-bit). I would prefer a 15 inch because I do not want something small, but do not want something too big so can take it with me on the train on a weekly basis.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
I need a laptop for a programming course
Do they not give any guidance on what is needed to handle what you have to do?

In general Lenovo (former IBM) and HP have a good range of business models that you can customize so that for example you get the Professional or Enterprise version of Windows 7.

Do you need to avoid 64 bit Windows for any reason connected with the programming course?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Mushky

They give the system requirements for the laptop, which from my understanding is pretty basic for today. I will use it mainly for programming. It needs to run SQL Server Express 2008, SQL Server 2012 Express RTM, or Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2.
My desktop right now is an HP and I am not so happy with it and the customer service was not a pleasant experience. So therefore I am looking at other companies.
Windows 64 bit is not really an issue, we can use it if we want.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I can't help on what running that stuff might need.

Check out Lenovo. Both Lenovo and HP have first class support documentation on their website. Lenovo probably somewhat better and even includes field replacement service manuals with illustrations and even video on how to replace components that don't require factory treatment.

They even have a sale on although you'd probably want to check the internet and local stores. I don't know where you are located but in the USA I like Office Depot (who do handle Lenovo I believe) for their good return policy if you don't like what you bought!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'll second Hugh's Lenovo recommendation. I've had HP printers since forever but never any of their computers, so can't comment, but have bought nothing but Lenovos for the past ten years or so; I've been pleased with the support the few times I've needed it, and with the quality of the products.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Also take a look at the Dell laptops--click on the "Small & Medium Business" link at the top of their homepage. I have spec'd a number of them over the years for friends and family and they have been pleased. Also check the Dell Outlet--scroll to the bottom of the homepage for the link--because often you can get a nice system for less.

Last year, my sister wanted a small laptop/netbook and after researching--Dell had squat really--I looked at HP's based on Hugh's recommendation. I found a really nice small HP laptop (more power and better options than a netbook) which my sister ordered. I did the setup work for her and I was rather impressed with it which surprised me because when I think of HP, I think of printers--I have always used HP laserjets.

Let us know what you end up with...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushky View Post
I am currently researching inexpensive business grade laptops. I have a primary desktop that takes care of most of my work. I need a laptop for a programming course and therefore need a enterprise grade laptop. It needs to be a Windows machine, and anyway I am not really into most Apple products.
I've worked for a large local government organisation that used both HP and Dell laptops. I used and supported both and can't recommend either, although the Dell were better than the HP. All were 'business grade' in that they were specified to run the Microsoft suite. The laptops I used myself were always expected to run lots of extra applications, some of them very processor intensive, but we still had lots of failures with laptops running the basic suite. Maybe top of the line laptops would manage better. The help desk guys did say they liked the support from Dell. But then we had a lot of them, so probably got special treatment.