DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
BobRoosth

Default Upgrade to CS 5.5?

I am still using CS 3. I don't seem to have enough paying work to justify every upgrade, or even every other one. OTOH, Adobe is pushing a 20% discount offer that is tempting. It appears I can go from 3 to 5.5 (Design Premium) for $400 instead of almost $800 (yes I know that is better than 20%). I think they cut off lower cost upgrades from 3 to 5 at some point.

Has anyone seen/heard rumors of impending CS6? I can just see them luring in new 5.5 users just before releasing 6....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
John Spragens

CS6 is on the way, but I haven't seen any dates announced yet.

CS6 will be your last chance to make the jump from CS3 at upgrade prices, according to currently announced policy. Some details in this Macworld article:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...cs4_users.html

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
BobRoosth

Thanks. I missed that. What it doesn't say is that the upgrade pricing will be the same for all previous versions. Were I a betting person, I'd say the release date for CS6 is after April 15, more than 30 after the end of this offer... and that the upgrade price from CS3 to 6 Design Prem will be well more than $400.

I suppose what I really need is more paying business that uses the suite.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Michael Beloved

At the rate at which the technology is developing, there will always be increasing advancements, so you may as well get what you can when you can and not pay attention to the issue of the next development.

It is like you are fighting a losing battle.

There is one issue though which is that I found that if everything is not on the artboard some ai files from CS3 open with missing items and even strange clipping masks in CS5.

I would advise that if you are moving up from CS3 be sure to check every ai file by opening it in CS3 and moving everything into the artboard or by increasing the size of the art board. Otherwise you might regret it when you install the upgrade or even the clean install of CS5 and then find that your files are looking clipped, covered and so on.

I went through this already and it was a sad day for some delicate time consuming vectors things which I did previously.

The other thing is that once you do that upgrade you may not be able to successfully reinstall CS3 seperately. For some reason this causes problems. Anyway let us know how this works out for you.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
The other thing is that once you do that upgrade you may not be able to successfully reinstall CS3 seperately. For some reason this causes problems. Anyway let us know how this works out for you.
Of course one could always install one or the other (or even both) in a virtual machine!

As to the graphics files: make sure you have backups of everything. (of course... but...)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
John Spragens

I've kept the CS3 suite on my machine even as I've upgraded to 5.5. Works OK on my Mac running Snow Leopard. I don't know if there are complications on Windows.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
iamback

My grandmother used to say: if you absolutely want to have the latest of something, wait till one day before you die.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
John Spragens

There's a similar dilemma if you'd like to give away all your material possessions, timing things so you always have those things you still need but give everything away before you die.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
CS6 will be your last chance to make the jump from CS3 at upgrade prices, according to currently announced policy.
Here I am, very late to the discussion but maybe someone can give me advice in time, or maybe I can talk myself into trouble (or not) all by myself.

I have CS3 Premier installed on an older iMac with problems, and have its replacement ready to set up. Seems like a good time to update CS3 Premier — but with what?

The upgrade prices expire tonight and here I am eyeing the CS Master Collection and wondering if I should jump from CS 3 Premium to CS 5.5 Master. A straight update (3 Premium to 5.5 Premium) would cost $400. The jump (3 Premium to 5.5 Master) costs another $1,000 — total of $1,399.

If this jump includes the next update, it might be a bargain (as that assumes the 6 Master would be rolled in). But it gets the jump paid for, and it isn’t obvious that I would be able to jump from 5.5 master to 6 master for free.

Any advice anyone? This helps me think anyway, but I would welcome someone else’s thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
BobRoosth

I have no idea if CS6 will be released with a free UG from 5.5 upgraded today. I rather doubt it and am going to wait for CS6. I suspect the UG will be more than $400, but less than $400 today and more in late April or May. A bit of a gamble, I know.....