DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
BobRoosth
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 933
Default Upgrade to CS 5.5?

I am still using CS 3. I don't seem to have enough paying work to justify every upgrade, or even every other one. OTOH, Adobe is pushing a 20% discount offer that is tempting. It appears I can go from 3 to 5.5 (Design Premium) for $400 instead of almost $800 (yes I know that is better than 20%). I think they cut off lower cost upgrades from 3 to 5 at some point.

Has anyone seen/heard rumors of impending CS6? I can just see them luring in new 5.5 users just before releasing 6....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
John Spragens
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 437
Default

CS6 is on the way, but I haven't seen any dates announced yet.

CS6 will be your last chance to make the jump from CS3 at upgrade prices, according to currently announced policy. Some details in this Macworld article:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...cs4_users.html

   
__________________

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
BobRoosth
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 933
Default

Thanks. I missed that. What it doesn't say is that the upgrade pricing will be the same for all previous versions. Were I a betting person, I'd say the release date for CS6 is after April 15, more than 30 after the end of this offer... and that the upgrade price from CS3 to 6 Design Prem will be well more than $400.

I suppose what I really need is more paying business that uses the suite.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Michael Beloved
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 141
Default

At the rate at which the technology is developing, there will always be increasing advancements, so you may as well get what you can when you can and not pay attention to the issue of the next development.

It is like you are fighting a losing battle.

There is one issue though which is that I found that if everything is not on the artboard some ai files from CS3 open with missing items and even strange clipping masks in CS5.

I would advise that if you are moving up from CS3 be sure to check every ai file by opening it in CS3 and moving everything into the artboard or by increasing the size of the art board. Otherwise you might regret it when you install the upgrade or even the clean install of CS5 and then find that your files are looking clipped, covered and so on.

I went through this already and it was a sad day for some delicate time consuming vectors things which I did previously.

The other thing is that once you do that upgrade you may not be able to successfully reinstall CS3 seperately. For some reason this causes problems. Anyway let us know how this works out for you.

   
__________________
michael beloved
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
The other thing is that once you do that upgrade you may not be able to successfully reinstall CS3 seperately. For some reason this causes problems. Anyway let us know how this works out for you.
Of course one could always install one or the other (or even both) in a virtual machine!

As to the graphics files: make sure you have backups of everything. (of course... but...)

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
John Spragens
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 437
Default

I've kept the CS3 suite on my machine even as I've upgraded to 5.5. Works OK on my Mac running Snow Leopard. I don't know if there are complications on Windows.

   
__________________

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

My grandmother used to say: if you absolutely want to have the latest of something, wait till one day before you die.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
John Spragens
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 437
Default

There's a similar dilemma if you'd like to give away all your material possessions, timing things so you always have those things you still need but give everything away before you die.

   
__________________

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
CS6 will be your last chance to make the jump from CS3 at upgrade prices, according to currently announced policy.
Here I am, very late to the discussion but maybe someone can give me advice in time, or maybe I can talk myself into trouble (or not) all by myself.

I have CS3 Premier installed on an older iMac with problems, and have its replacement ready to set up. Seems like a good time to update CS3 Premier — but with what?

The upgrade prices expire tonight and here I am eyeing the CS Master Collection and wondering if I should jump from CS 3 Premium to CS 5.5 Master. A straight update (3 Premium to 5.5 Premium) would cost $400. The jump (3 Premium to 5.5 Master) costs another $1,000 — total of $1,399.

If this jump includes the next update, it might be a bargain (as that assumes the 6 Master would be rolled in). But it gets the jump paid for, and it isn’t obvious that I would be able to jump from 5.5 master to 6 master for free.

Any advice anyone? This helps me think anyway, but I would welcome someone else’s thoughts.

Thanks.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
BobRoosth
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 933
Default

I have no idea if CS6 will be released with a free UG from 5.5 upgraded today. I rather doubt it and am going to wait for CS6. I suspect the UG will be more than $400, but less than $400 today and more in late April or May. A bit of a gamble, I know.....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logo upgrade? ktinkel Print Design 25 09-11-2008 10:49 AM
Upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question! Bo Aakerstrom Software 4 09-15-2007 08:33 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.