DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Oddities of old data hardware...

While I was getting my "new" free laptop (a money sink if there ever were one as I've now spent just shy of $200 on it) set up, I needed to install a very old version of Quicken on the laptop. Since the laptop does not have a floppy reader, I decided to copy the floppies to my desktop harddrive and then use my flash drive to copy the files to the new laptop.

Desktop floppy drive would not read the floppies. It was really weird because I'd installed the same software from the floppies when I had this system built a few years ago. Rooted around online with the error message and found that it was pretty common particularly as the floppies were for 16-bit software--yeah...yeah...yeah...I know but hey! software still works just fine...'-}}

Then I remembered that the even older laptop I had been using as a backup system (an old Dell) had a removable floppy drive which I dug out from the closet. I fired up the old laptop, plugged in the floppy drive (into the laptop's parallel port), copied the floppies' files to the old laptop's harddrive, plugged in the flash drive (only one port on this old laptop), copied the files from the flash drive to the new backup laptop and installed Quicken--with difficulty! as it didn't want to work if the software were nested into a subdir so I had to install it at C:\.

Then I started rummaging around for all my old software floppies, used the old laptop's floppy reader to copy all the files to the old laptop, copied from the old laptop's drive to the flash drive, flash drive to my desktop harddrive and then burned CDs...

Sooo...if you've got old software or data floppies out there that read properly a few years ago, don't think they will be able to be read now...'-}}

Working with the old Dell laptop forced me into final clean up mode on it and it has been given away to someone who is taking a computer maintenance/hardware class and she's going to use it as a training tool...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
donmcc

This reminds me. I really need to get on that chore of throwing away all my old 5 1/4 floppies. Especially the Kaypro CPM ones.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In case you want to check them first, I think my old Kaypro 10 now lives in a technology museum of some sort in (IIRC) Toronto. Who knows ... it may still be running!

And at one point, I'd swear I had a program (no doubt with a name like CP/eMulator) that let you run CP/Mware on an IBM PC. This could be the start of something beauti .... well ... ugly.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
donmcc

If I recall correctly, when the IBM PC first came out, you had the option of ordering it with either DOS or CPM. Except the geniuses at Digital Research didn't think the thing was going to fly, so they didn't bust butts to get it ready for the launch date like Microsoft did. As a result, if you wanted CPM you had to wait ??? months for it ... and by then DOS ruled.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I recall that you could get CP/M for the PC. And that maybe four people wanted to.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
donmcc: I really need to get on that chore of throwing away all my old 5 1/4 floppies.
LOL!!! I have some of those...'-}}

They all files of my mom's writing done on an old Epson Equity I (maybe the II) and I'd transferred them to 3.5" floppies and then a couple of years ago, I did some editing on them and burned the original and edited files to CD but I can't bring myself to throw the originals away...

Terrie
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
donmcc

> I can't bring myself to throw the originals away...

You probably can. I don't think you are going to need them.

Although at my college, when a colleague finally decided to throw out three old laser disks (the old 12 inch ones from the 90s) on the mere grounds that there was no longer a machine to run them I scooped them up.

They look like oversized cds, and I have them hanging on my office wall, where I proudly refer to them as my Grammies. They evoke a lot of interesting conversations with visitors.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
donmcc: They look like oversized cds, and I have them hanging on my office wall, where I proudly refer to them as my Grammies.
LOL!!! I love it...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Howard Allen

O.M.G. The last version of Quicken I ever used also came on floppies--and it wasn't Y2K compliant, which is why I quit using it. Are you sure something that old is going to be usable?

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
howard: Are you sure something that old is going to be usable?
I use it every month to print the checks for my bills and it works just fine for that...'-}}

I was never interested in any of the bells and whistles Intuit added to their newer versions but I will admit that I do need to go take a browse at ebay to see if I can find a Quicken version that is just a wee bit more current--the version I'm using is 4...'-}}

By the way...I was a bit concerned that I'd have problems when Y2K hit but the date function worked just fine clicking over from 1999 to 2000 with absolutely no problem...'-}}

Terrie