DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
gelatogal

Default Software suggestions

Hello -

I'd like to get some software suggestions for a project. We will be making labels for pint ice cream containers which are in the shape of a cylinder that is wider at the top and smaller at the bottom (I'm sure you've seen them in the grocery store).

We have Photoshop currently and need something that will allow us to warp the lable to fit the container. The print must line up with the bottom of the container without distorting). We need to have text and be able to place our photos and graphics on the label.

Could you give me suggestions for a software that won't cost an arm and a leg? Something fairly easy to use? Basically, this will be the only projects we'll be doing...
gelatogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
gelatogal: Basically, this will be the only projects we'll be doing...
Does that mean that you will only be doing this once or that you will be doing it often but only for the pint ice cream containers? If you are only going to be doing this once, then it might be more practical to talk with a local print shop about doing the work for you.

That said (and if you are going to be printing labels regularly), what labels have you tried so far? Are you working with labels that cover the entire container and if so, is it possible to use a smaller label?

I just took an Avery 6490 3.5" Diskette label to see how it fit on a Hagen Dazs container and I don't think there would be any distortion of text/images but that may be too small. I also use Avery 5263 shipping labels which are 2"x4" and again, I don't think distortion would be an issue. Note that while I've referenced Avery label numbers, I buy my labels from a 3rd party distributor but Avery is sort of a standard for sizing--at least in terms of the labels I use regularly.

I guess basically, we need more info...'-}}

Welcome to the forum...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Howard Allen

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if you've already got Photoshop, you can use it to make perspective distortions. You can create a "keystone" distortion that's wider at the top than the bottom, which I think would fit a conical container as you described. I've attached an example. You do this with Filter/Distort/Lens Correction... then fiddle with the "Vertical Perspective" control.

Welcome to the forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acme.png
Views:	16
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1735  

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Howard Allen

Thinking about this some more, it occurred to me that you might want something to wrap all the way around the carton, like this (attachment) so that when it's curled around the carton the type comes out parallel to the top and bottom. Illustrator will do the job—I used it make the example—but if you don't already have it, it unfortunately violates your "arm and a leg" rule (and also the "easy to use" rule).

If Illustrator is out of the question, then there are probably freeware or shareware (or at least cheaper) drawing programs out there that will work. Sorry, I can't suggest any. There are freeware afficionados here who can probably point you in the right direction. Basically you need to look for something with a "type on path" tool that will let you set text on a curved path.

If you're handy with trigonometry you can work out the radius of curvature you'll need to fit the carton, given the diameter of the top, the bottom, and the height of the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acme wrap.png
Views:	14
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1736  

OSX 10.10.5
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
John Spragens

Ah ... but they have Photoshop already, and Photoshop can do the same type-on-a-path tricks.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...b64-75baa.html

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Howard Allen

Huh! You're right, so it can! I learned something new today, thanks! It's implemented differently than in AI, which may be why I never saw it before. Photoshop also has a "warp text" tool that can produce much the same effect in a circular shape, but with less precision.

So there. Now all Gelatogal needs to do is work out the radius of curvature to use for her cartons.

OSX 10.10.5
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Following Howard's reference to Illustrator here's the result of a Google search on free equivalents.

FWIW

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote