DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Ignoramus

Default Why doesn't edges show print?

Hello All,
Let me first explain that I am à teacher, not à professional dtp:er.
I am trying to make flash cards using Swift Publisher ( I like the program and it's affordable).
However, when I printed the background, it didn't print all the way to the edge. Does it have to do with the printer or Swift?
Another question: I want to print with white print on orange paper. However, if I write in white type I won't see what I've written. What do you do, write against coloured background that you then remove before print?

Sorry about the accent over the à:s, writing on à Swedish iPad.
Ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
donmcc

First, very few printers can print to the edges of the page. Most printers use at least one side to handle the paper through the machine, and most have all four sides with a border to cover poor alignment problems. Only a few photo machines will have full "bleed" (the term used in North America to mean printing to the edge of the paper.

As for printing white, again almost no home printers can do this. They don't have white type. You can get white on a colored background by printing to white paper with the ink on the background parts. But if you want to print to colored paper, there is no way to get white.

Finally, an iPad trick. Here if you want to get an accent, you type the letter and hold your finger down on a key, and a little window pops up to allow you to choose the character with an accent. You might be able to do the same to get no accent. (Not that it was hard for us to read with the accents. We are good at ignoring them here.)
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Ignoramus

Thank you for replying. I realise I'll have to opt your solution and print the background.
I'll no doubt have lots of more q's.
I'll have a go at the accent trick
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ignoramus: Another question: I want to print with white print on orange paper. However, if I write in white type I won't see what I've written. What do you do, write against coloured background that you then remove before print?
First...welcome to the forum...'-}}

I'm not sure if you can do this with Swift Publisher but one way to approach this is in the imaging/dtp software you are using, create an image with an orange background, then create your text in white and then print on white paper because as Don noted, only specialized printers (very pricey!) have white ink available.

In terms of borderless printing, if your printer does not support it, then print on a larger sheet of paper than your flash card and trim output to size. Some printers do offer borderless printing but they are usually restricted to specific (standard) sizes like 5x7", 8x10", etc. so if your flash card is the "wrong" size, it's easier to print on larger paper and trim to size.

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Ignoramus

Thanks for the welcome.
Since I don't know the technical terminology for dtp, I didn't know I could let something "bleed". While working in Swift I discovered that I can let a document "bleed". Hmmm, looks more and more promising. At least for the layman.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ignoramus: While working in Swift I discovered that I can let a document "bleed". Hmmm, looks more and more promising. At least for the layman.
LOL!!! Hope that it works for you...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
LOL!!! Hope that it works for you...'-}}

Terrie
Now why doesn't that sound as if it will work......
Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ignoramus: Now why doesn't that sound as if it will work......
LOL! I may well work...

A lot of it depends not only on the imaging/dtp software but also on the printer you are using so it's a matter of experimenting to see if it will work the way the documentation says it's supposed to...

Terrie
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

Hi and welcome! As Terrie said, whether or not a bleed will work depends on both the software and the hardware. Your software may support bleeds but if your printer doesn't then the software can say "bleed" all it wants but the printer will ignore it. However, Terrie's idea of printing to a larger piece of paper and trimming it down to flash card size should work. Make that bleed larger than flash card size all the way around to give you some leeway when you cut the paper. Good luck!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote