DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default dBase, anyone

Anyone still using dBase. I'm on the mailing list, but never post announcements.

But for those who are feeling nostalgic, you can take advantage of dBase at sale prices: http://store.databi.com/default.asp

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Last time I bought dBase was, IIRC, dBase IV. It was foolishly expensive, came in this huge package full of lots of manuals. The package fell over and landed on my thumb. Rather like dropping a brick on it from five feet up. It was a bad turn for what had been up to then a beautiful relationship.

Then it turned out that dBase IV ran like a tranquilized tree sloth with three missing legs. I bought FoxPro instead and sold dBase to a riverboat company. They're always in need of heavy, otherwise useless matter for boat anchors.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

So, you didn't like it much then?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I got a lot of use from dBase IV. My favorite feature was I didn't have to worry about the indexes. Then I used whatever the last version was of dBase Windows, because I could have windows open for both sides of a relationship. I used dBase instead of Access because it was so quick to work from the command line, and because dbf had become a universal format. Access knew how to set joins to DBF files, so I could integrate it with Access.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

By the time Access was any sort of force to reckon with, I was pretty much done using database software regularly, and certainly wasn't doing any development work with it. In fact, I never got into the Windows version of either dBase or Foxpro.

Bo: I could have lived with it, I suppose, but a vendor friend wanted to see how compatible FoxPro was with the SBC accounting software he sold at the time, so I got a copy of it for next to nothing, and with a money-back guarantee at that. IIRC, the same guy set me up with my first network hardware at cost, same deal. "You test it, let me come and play with it from time to time, and I can be comfortable recommending it to my other customers." Guess he figured if I could set it up, any idiot could. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I use Alpha 4 - it's dBase with an easy front end. Runs under DOS, so not a proper GUI, but it does the trick for me.

For simple non-relationship databases (eg details of my residents' association's members) I use MS Works database - sadly no longer made.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
I use Alpha 4 - it's dBase with an easy front end. Runs under DOS, so not a proper GUI, but it does the trick for me.
I remember hearing good things about Alpha 4.

I actually used Paradox for one project, because dBase had a bug in its report writer. Later I began using R&R Report Writer to generate reports from dBase. It's actually still around. I had tried to use Crystal reports, but they broke easily. Interesting, considering the name of the software.

When I added Access to my list of tools I was surprised at how well it worked. I didn't think Microsoft was capable of making anything that worked well. But it did.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> When I added Access to my list of tools I was surprised at how well it worked. I didn't think Microsoft was capable of making anything that worked well. But it did.

So long as you hold out for version 3 and avoid the versions that introduce major changes, you're generally good to go.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Sandy

Alpha 4 may be cool, but Alpha 5 is prettier, more capable, and truly GUI. Moving from the DOS version to Windows was a bit traumatic, but the data survived. I update about every five years and had to rewrite one index since about '95.
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

I have heard good things about Libre Office Base. Don't do much database stuff these days, so I don't know how it compares.