DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default At the end of my tether...

Since the scanner on my trusty HP OfficeJet G85 gave up I have looked for a replacement for it, and when I spotted a HP Photosmart C410b at Staples in town, thinking that it was a good price I got myself one.

Omitting most of the details (and language used) in my efforts to get the thing working the fact is that it is still not co-operating.

Having downloaded the most recent version of the software and installed, un-installed and re-installed on both my laptop (Vista), desktop (XP and Kubuntu) to the point where I have lost track of how many times I have done it, it only works on Kubuntu, and that is without installing anything - it just works.

To me it seems like very poorly written software is the root cause, and the screenshot attached kind of confirms this. Since when should I have to disable screensavers and antivirus applications to scan something!

Oh, well - I feel better after getting that of my chest. Sorry guys. I am going to get in touch with Hp's "award winning" customer service department, I'll let you know what transpires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP Guided Solutions_2011-12-06_10-57-50.png
Views:	48
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1730  

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 12-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Bo, I would say "unbelievable" - but alas, it isn't. Lots of "hardware software" is crap in my experience. At least your error message isn't in pidgin English...
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Dosent wanna make me complay.

The latest is that I can finally scan images and print from both laptop and desktop.

OCR can be done on the Kubuntu OS when I need to (which in all fairness won't be too often).

Still an application that seems to have been written by a student and available for free works better than what HP can muster. Unfortunately that isn't unbelievable either.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Ubuntu is really very good: it's amazing how peripherals just work without the user having to install drivers. Hope you manage to get the thing working properly in Windows.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Oh, I agree! Even my Skypephone S2 works as a wireless broadband connection, just like that (to quote Mr Cooper)!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And this is the same HP that until recently was bent on getting out of the hardware business and into the software/services biz?

Sounds like a *very* good bet that they got rid of Apocalypser. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Before you installed the new C401B, what did you do to remove whatever came from having the G45? How is the C401B connected to the PCs? USB? Ethernet? WiFi?

If USB did you install the software before you connected the USB cable to the PC?

Which of your two PCs is it connected to -- the laptop or the desktop?

I do support on HP stuff on compuserve so I have a fair amount of experience having been on their Team HP when they had a forum; at least I tend to be able to find things!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

Hi Hugh

It is a C410b, not whatever I typed. The G85 only had the drivers installed, and they are still there as I intend to keep printing on it as that works just fine.

The new device is connected via USB to the dual boot desktop PC, we use Dropbox to transfer files that needs printing to it from our laptops.

The main reason I installed HP Solution Center is that I wanted to access the bundled OCR application through it. Even though I can use an application on the Kubuntu machine for that it would be neat to have the option on the Windows machines too.

I followed the instructions on how to install everything to a tee. Downloaded the latest version of the software and drivers, and installed the critical update as well (something about hardware and software not communicating with each other).

I have had a few error messages as well, ranging from 4 and 8 (whatever that means) to an issue with SoftThinks not being compatible with "this version of Windows" - on both XP and Vista.

The scan dialogue does open and I can select what I want to do and scanning images works fine, but scan to .rtf or .txt files using the OCR application is causing the application to freeze and the only way to close it is to force it (Alt+F4).

A visit to the HP forums shows me I am not alone in having these problems either.

Would be great if you could shed any light on how to resolve this annoyance.

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 12-06-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You seem to have done everything right although if you still have the G85 installed and working and have the C410B installed I don't know whether/how the HP Solution Center software is able to handle two scanners .

So it's actually only the OCR that is not functioning correctly?

I'll do some searching and see if I find anything that you don't know about already!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

The Solution Center can't see the G85 at all, which is fine by me.

When trying to scan to OCR the "HP Scan" application freezes and nothing actually happens.

Two more things happens though, both of which are more serious: I get a runtime error - BLService.exe is terminated "in an unusual way" (probably by the application that is ceasing up), this is a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library I'm supposing this device is using and MFC STServices stops working.

Haven't had much time to muck about today, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.