Old 11-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default MS advises True Type attack vulnerability

Just came across a reference to this in the Norton Forums:

=====================

Microsoft Security Advisory (2639658)

Vulnerability in TrueType Font Parsing Could Allow Elevation of Privilege

Executive Summary

Microsoft is investigating a vulnerability in a Microsoft Windows component, the Win32k TrueType font parsing engine. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code in kernel mode. The attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. We are aware of targeted attacks that try to use the reported vulnerability; overall, we see low customer impact at this time. This vulnerability is related to the Duqu malware.

Upon completion of this investigation, Microsoft will take the appropriate action to help protect our customers. This may include providing a security update through our monthly release process or providing an out-of-cycle security update, depending on customer needs.

[ ... ]

Mitigating Factors
  • The vulnerability cannot be exploited automatically through e-mail. For an attack to be successful, a user must open an attachment that is sent in an e-mail message.
=================================

One of my Norton colleagues added this comment:

Quote:
This zero-day vulnerability is associated with the Duqu worm which targets industial operations and is spread in email attachments. Norton currently protects against Duqu itself, and according to this Microsoft TechNet blog all security vendors should have signatures to block exploitation of the vulnerability within hours

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Hugh ... wow. Ugly. Thanks for posting that.

I've found a few MS links that include one of their FixIt thingies and a command line workaround. Both disable the system's ability to use embedded fonts, which should make it safe to open received Word, PowerPoint etc. files.

Posted them here:

MS warns of TrueType attack vulnerability
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01135_MS_wa...nerability.htm

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I gather from Norton that the attack is directed at business users rather than they home type and so most of us need not worry -- especially if they do as they always should and not open attactments unless they are from someone they know and expected.

Hugh
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If people did as they always should, we'd have very few malware/virus problems.

My rule of thumb is that attachments hit the trash, or at least remain unopened unless the sender's known AND the body of the email contains an explanation of what the file is and why I might want to open it and the explanation is in a voice that sounds as though it matches the sender's.

If the explat sounds like Chinese googlemangled into English and I haven't asked the person for a file, it gets binned, no questions asked. Life's too short and cleaning up computers is too long.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I find looking at Properties / View Source of the message is often very informative ...

Hugh
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I find looking at Properties / View Source of the message is often very informative ...

Likewise. But when offering advice to the general computing public, I like to apply the "Would my mom understand how to do this?" test.

Mom doesn't want to hear about reading raw email headers, but she understands "Do I know this person? No? DEL" ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> [ ... ]

Mom doesn't want to hear about reading raw email headers, but she understands "Do I know this person? No? DEL" ;-)
But the danger is when the incoming From is spoofed and she does know the name ....

My wife has adopted "if it has an attachment I don't open it PERIOD I ask Hugh"

Hugh
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> But the danger is when the incoming From is spoofed and she does know the name ....

That's why I'd insist that the body of the email offer an explanation of the attachment (or for that matter, any links in the email) and that it sound as though the alleged sender actually wrote it.

"Hey, this is funny, check it out" gets binned, no questions, no remorse.

Even the headers are no protection, really. It might really have come from the friend it purports to. Or at least from their computer. The one infested with malware that sends copies of itself out via "This is funny" messages with links to drive-by web sites.

>> My wife has adopted "if it has an attachment I don't open it PERIOD I ask Hugh"

Smart of you to have married such a wise woman. That makes two of us. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff