DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Open Office help needed...

As my sister in ME considers me to be her personal tech support and seems to be under the mistaken impression that I know everything there is to know about every aspect of computer systems and software, she has asked me a question about Open Office that really requires having OO on my system. I really, really don't want to install it so I'm hoping someone here might have it installed and/or have greater familiarity with it to help...'-}}

According to her email, she opened OO and chose Draw from the master window and played a bit with it, closed OO. A few days later she opened OO, chose Write but she says the toolbar for Draw appeared--along with the standard "blank" page display for Write--and she can't get rid of the Draw toolbar.

After a quick look at the OO documentation (what a pita that was!), I suggested that she look in the View menu to see if there are options for the Toolbars and told her I'd see what else I could find.

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

Never used Draw, but did she save or choose 'close without saving' the document when she finished?

Can she type in the Write document? If not there might be a lock file lurking somewhere if she just exited Oo, although I have never done that without being asked what to do with an unsaved document.

Oo isn't like MS Office a collection of applications, it is one that does all of the different document types.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: Never used Draw, but did she save or choose 'close without saving' the document when she finished?
I have a feeling she just closed OO without saving anything and may have not chosen "close without saving"...

>>Can she type in the Write document?

I don't know...will ask...

After a bit more research, it appears that the View menu in OO, has a Toobar option which lists all the toolbars in OO. If a toolbar is checkmarked, then it's displayed so I've told my sister to see if the Draw toolbar is checkmarked and if so, to click on it to UNcheck it.

The larger question (for me at least) is why the Draw toolbar displayed when my sister had chosen Write from the component list window? Should she have switched to Write before closing OO--basically, the toolbars displayed are based on the last component that had been opened (or maybe if she didn't choose "close without saving")?

If she should have switched to Write from Draw before closing, how do you switch from component to component?

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

No need to switch before closing. Either select when starting the application (you get a choice of Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math or Writer) or by creating a shortcut (icon) to any of those on the desktop.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: No need to switch before closing.
I thought not but figured I ask...

>>Either select when starting the application (you get a choice of Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math or Writer) or by creating a shortcut (icon) to any of those on the desktop.

I had set it up originally to go directly to Write but then I showed her the default option with all the components listed and she said she preferred that...be less trouble if I'd just left well enough alone...'-}}

She said that she tried unchecking whatever Draw toolbar was checkmarked in View > Toolbars but that "...did that but it only takes away some aspects of the bar but not the actual bar".

Does that make any kind of sense to you? From the little bit of documentation I read, I know that toolbars can be moved around. I don't think she did that--I don't think it would occur to her to even try--so I'm not sure what she is seeing. There is no way that she can do a screen shot--she would have no idea what that is and no way to process the clipboard entry...

Ugh! What a pita this is...'-}}

Thanks for your help...

Terrie
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

After a good nights sleep I realised that it is only a matter of unchecking the draw toolbar. I guess I don't use Oo (or as in my case Libre Office) often enough to remember all the ins and outs.

View > Toolbars > Draw. As you already suggested. You might just know everything after all.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: View > Toolbars > Draw. As you already suggested. You might just know everything after all.
LOL!!!

The problem is that my sister says that UNchecking the Draw toolbar in View > Toolbars, removed some of the "aspects" (her word...maybe she means icons) but not the actual bar.

I've asked her for a bit more info--in Write is she able to type in text, save it, do whatever she needs to do in Write and it's just the the Draw toolbar (or parts of it) are on display; if other toolbars (other than the one for Write) are checkmarked in View > Tools and I asked if she remembered how she closed OO the day she was playing around with Draw...

I'll keep you posted...'-}}

Terrie
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
BobRoosth

You need remote access to her computer so you can see what she is seeing. Look into Logmein free or TeamViewer. Either can save a lot of teeth gnashing.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Just make sure it is one way access!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: Just make sure it is one way access!
LOL! Indeed!

Terrie