DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Cool new hybrid drive

In the December issue of Maximum PC, there is a short blurb on what sounds like a rather cool new hybrid harddrive developed by OCZ--the RevoDrive Hybrid (RVDHY-FH-1T).

According to Maximum PC, the drive combines a 1TB 5400rpm mechanical drive with a 100GB SSD drive on a PCI Express x4 riser card. The estimated price is $500--amazon and newegg have it for $485 (free shipping) and tigerdirect and compusa have it for $470.

Maximum PC is planning on reviewing it "soon" and after reading the reviews at amazon and newegg, it might be worth waiting until the Maximum PC review comes out--I'll report back when it does...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Here's a useful source of technical information on new products -- I get their emails:

Here's a link to storage devices

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...id=3&Itemid=60

Not so easy to find a particular product but since I get the emails I mostly use the link in them if it sounds interesting.

I got some good background when AMD brought out dual core CPUs and bought one that does all I need at a good price (NewEgg of course) when I built Ollie 3.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Thanks...I'll check it out...

I've always been an AMD woman...'-}}

Terrie
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< I've always been an AMD woman...'-}} >.

Ready for their 8 core CPU?

Actually I read a review of it that said it was not that great especially if it was not fully loaded.

Hugh
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Ready for their 8 core CPU?
Not hardly...doubtful it would be in the budget if I could ever afford to have a new system built...

Terrie
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

I'll chime in here with a word of warning...

I *have* a RevoDrive (i.e., freaky fast PCI-based SATA flash device). Not the mix you pointed to but one of its predecessors. They are, indeed, *really* *really* *really* fast. ...and the PCI bus will become the bus for storage soon enough. However, the "brownies are still soft" and I just learned that lesson the hard way. I was dumb enough to make my RevoDrive the boot volume. It all work wonderfully until a few weeks ago.

Now I get to start all over again (with the days of software installs, etc. that come with system re-config)...

Not because my RevoDrive failed. Rather, because my (newish and current biosed) MOBO magically forgot that the PCI bus could be used for storage devices. Window's recovery tools are just as dated when it comes to whacking you over the head with "I don't see no stink'n RevoDrive..." behavior.

With 6Gb SATA it'd prolly still be better to stick with that legacy form factor (since the throughput of devices like my RevoDrive is now matched byte for byte by the latest crop of 6Gb SATA III SSD offerings) ...generally for less $. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have ventured out on the plank I did.

At the end of the day, drives probably won't look like drives at all. They'll become DIMM-like. The MacBook Air and a few other systems is pushing that way. I'll wager it's just a matter of time...

Here's the disk I just added to my latest laptop (which btw is this nifty machine: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-TimelineX...9583233&sr=1-2 /w 8GB of RAM *and* the SSD ... $1200 delivered)

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-...9583061&sr=1-1

Works just jiffy and close enough to my RevoDrive that most folks wouldn't notice. They come in bigger sizes for those working through their government bailout bank role.

Last edited by curveto; 10-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

curveto --

I didn't know that Crucial had gone into SSD -- makes sense.

My favorite source of RAM ....

I see it's cheaper at Crucial than from Amazon!

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...le=CT256M4SSD2

$369.89

Wish I could afford one ....

Hugh
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Interesting. 'Course Amazon has gobs of vendors (I just picked one for that link .. not sure which one I grabbed).

I chose that drive for my new laptop over others for a few reasons. (I have some Intel X series SSDs and a few OCZ "sandforce" products ... plus the RevoDrive but that's for a different application) ... 1) It landed in a good place on the size vs. price curve, 2) it's one of the most stable (per warranty claims and such ... Intel sets the benchmark there), 3) it offers very good (not best not worst but closer to best than worst) performance and 4) like the Intel products (and a few others) it has a very low power usage profile (which is a feature of some SSDs that almost no one talks about ... the right choice adds an extra hour of life to your laptop, etc.).

Tom's hardware has a nice write up of a gaggle of SSDs they ran through their test bench. That's what focused my attention on Crucial (over Intel and OCZ).

FWIW: SSDs are worth every penny. I'd even go as far as recommending puling a spinner and putting it in a 2.5" external case (for storage space) and going with a cheaper, smaller SSD (for price and performance). The performance change a well thought out SSD gives is night and day vs. a spinning disk. Plus, the lack of noise, heat and the ability to not treat your computer like a spinning turntable (gingerly move it, etc.).
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'd agree with what you say especially with SSD prices dropping. Even a 64GB for $100 or so is more than enough for must "active" storage for OS and apps.

$15 will buy a very serviceable USB case from NewEgg ....

Hugh
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
curveto: Now I get to start all over again (with the days of software installs, etc. that come with system re-config)...
Oh the pain!!! Ugh!

Terrie