DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Skype on Android

I'm considering moving my studio phone from BT to Skype, but I don't know how Skype works on an Android smartphone.

Does the phone ring as normal, though with the Skype tone, can you just answer it as you would with a normnal call, listening through the earpiece and talking through the microphone, or do you have to use a headset and external mic?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Franca
Staff

Wish I could tell you but I've no idea. I initially assumed you'd answer it like any other phone call but then I realized I had no basis for that assumption. I bet the info is available online. When I first got my Droid I thought about getting the Skype app to try it out but abandoned the idea when I found out that it would only work over Verizon's 3G and not with WiFi. Huh?!?! The whole point of Skype is to be able to make phone calls with it from anywhere to anywhere without being tied to a specific phone service. Don't know if the Android app has since changed but it was a deal-breaker at the time.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

FWIW (not much, probably), I installed Skype on my iPod Touch. Played with it a bit, made a call or two to the nice Skype Call Testing Service lady, closed it, forgot about it and went to bed.

Next morning, I awoke to the sound of a phone ringing. Through the morning haze, I gradually realized that it was coming from the iPod. One of our kids in Japan had been using Skype, seen me online and decided to ring me up. We had a lovely 30 minute chat. A few minutes into it, my wife heard me talking, seemingly to the walls, and came up to determine whether I was talking in my sleep of just barking mad, but I was able to route the conversation to the speaker on the iPod, so we could both talk. Very nice.

So in the case of the iPod, no need for a headset/ext. mic. Just the device.

Your mileage (or kilometrage) may vary.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thanks. I’ve been wondering how hard it would be.

So people can just pluck you out of the ether? That’s interesting.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Thanks. I’ve been wondering how hard it would be.

So people can just pluck you out of the ether? That’s interesting.
Well, yes and no. I only allow calls from people on my list, and only they can see whether I'm online or not.

I mostly got Skype for the Pod so I could use it as a phone abroad when I have a wireless connection. If you buy minutes from Skype, you can use it to call landline phones/cel phones as well as other Skype users. Inexpensively!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I've been testing this for amost a week now, and found it wanting. Seriously wanting - at least, here in Blightly and using a gorgeous Samsung I9100 running the latest version of Android with Orange as the mobile provider.

Skype calls made from my Android phone to a landline are OK (though rather muffled), and to a mobile are just about OK (more muffled), but when people call my Skype online number and I answer it on Skype for Android the service really stinks: typically I can hear the other party clear as a bell, but they just hear broken bits of words. There are so many things than can - and do - throw a wobbly, and the tech support is almost non-existent unless (ha!) you pay more and sign up to Skype Premium just so you can get chat support.

Last edited by Robin Springall; 10-13-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Clarification
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Well, I guess it's good to know I made the right decision. Maybe one day the Android app will catch up to the iApp, but sounds like it's not there yet. :-p

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

Clef and I sometimes use Skype on our mobiles and the muffledness you are experiencing seem to be the norm. Using it on a computer seems to work a bit better but not as convenient.

It seemed like a good idea when we got the phones though.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

You came to the same conclusion I did. I slowly started migrating away from "Skype Out everywhere" for various reasons (not the least of which is that the rest of the world just isn't ready for that. They'd rather pay $60/m ad nausea (in US) for functionality that they used to get for $0.25. Maybe Microsoft will change things but for now...

BTW - Just brought a Mac Mini back up from a 2 year sleep (long story) and tried in vane to get Skype to just use a few ports to make it's connections. Never thought much about it before (other than knowing Skype is *really* *really* good at "getting out" of any LAN). Was a real eye opener. Skype better be, err... remain secure from within (something I doubt with it's fairly easy to use API) because it literally RIPs your network wide open (to the joy of Trojan builders worldwide, I'm sure).

Eeek,
JR

PS - I've migrated to a stance where Skype is (hard) OFF unless I need it as a result. <-- that pretty much defeats the purpose of Skype Out though.
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You can get some more user experience if you check on the Gadgets & Gear Forum over on Compuserve since there's a lot there on Skype and on the new phones and tablets.

There's a current thread in which I've seen references to the muffledness with Skype -- some experience it some don't .... There is one user Earle that some oldtimers may have run into who is France based but also has family in the USA so he sees both sides of the Atlantic.

Gadgets & Gear Community if you are interested.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote