DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Wireless Printer?

I bought a new wireless router recently, to be able to use my new Sony laptop elsewhere in the house, and not just with the Ethernet cable to the new router. I could not figure out how to reset the password on the old router, and for $29 I overcame that problem, and besides, the new router is supposedly faster than the one from five years ago.

Now BestBuy comes along, knowing I bought the router, and suggests that I buy a wireless printer. I have been thinking about a new inkjet printer anyway, because the one that came with my wife's new computer years ago is a Canon MP 140. It has worked fine until recently, and now it is giving me paper feed troubles. If I leave paper in the feed for days, it then sometimes begins to not feed. New paper works fine. My bigger objection is the price of the ink jet cartridges.

So, any suggestions on a wireless inkjet printer which has inexpensive cartridges? A new printer would overcome the expensive cartridge, bad paper feed problems with the printer, and let me print with the new laptop anywhere in the house.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

There's an HP All in One with Wireless (and wired ethernet I think) which is on sale and claims B&W for half the cost per page of laser prints.

Before anyone dismisses this I've had this confirmed by someone who deals with printers on the techical side ....

Here's the link to it on the HP website for full technical details

HP Officejet Pro 8000 Printer

It's on sale at Office Depot for $90 .....

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-_-NA#firstTab

and it includes autoduplexing which I consider an essential.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
dthomsen8

HP has excellent printers, but it is well known for its very high printer cartridge prices.

My HP 4 Plus is cheap for B&W printouts, and fairly fast, too. I am concerned with color prints, not the B&W ones. Price of the printer is a secondary consideration, compared with price of the ink.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
HP has excellent printers, but it is well known for its very high printer cartridge prices.

My HP 4 Plus is cheap for B&W printouts, and fairly fast, too. I am concerned with color prints, not the B&W ones. Price of the printer is a secondary consideration, compared with price of the ink.
All generalizations are false .... including this one ....

If you want some uptodate information on print costs from a reliable source check out Lee Kreider in the PCHardware forum on Compuserve.

He works with a wide range of printers with a large store on the technical side and is completely trustworthy on what he says based on his own and many customers' experiences.

If you choose the right model of HP inkjet Printer you can get per page costs on B&W and/or on color that match much more expensive laser printers and you have to know the range since for obvious reasons the inkjet printers that sell for $49 need to make all their profit on ink.

The one I mentioned is a $180 printer normally.

I believe the cheapest per page printer is the HP OJ 8500 but check that out with Lee.

Hugh
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Howard Allen

My biggest beef with inkjet printers is the use-it-or-lose-it syndrome. Pay $50 or $60 for ink cartridges, print off two pages, works great. Then leave the printer sitting idle for a few weeks or months. Next time you try to print something off, the ink has dried up in the cartridges/print head and you're off to the store again. Works out to about $25-$30 per page, not including the paper.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You are still largely in the past judging by my experience since I never had that with my old DJ722 10 - 15 years ago since it carefully parked the heads before shutting down so they did not dry out .... although you could defeat that if you shut down by cutting the power off with an external switch like a power strip.

None of my color printers ever get heavy useage and it can be weeks between prints since I use a B&W Laser for most stuff.

And now my HP Photosmart 8250 that I've had for several years and used equally intermittently has never had this problem because it has a very clever system of ink tanks that are statiionary linked to the moving print heads and any ink at the end of a print job is recirculated through filters and back into the ink tanks.

When you turn it on first time for a job it takes a little while on maintenance while it cleans and circulates ink again.

The only problem I very occasionally run into is that this model has an expiry date for ink cartridges built in and once when I bought an extra large cartridge I ran up against the expiry date and it stopped printing -- you can override for a while so you aren't left in mid job. Actually extra large cartridges are not necessarily a good buy with the rebate system some stores have since you only get one rebate against two if you buy two smaller cartridges and the price saving is less than the rebate.

One other extraordinary feature (to me anyway) is if you do run out of ink in the middle of printing say a color photograph it will stop printing and after you replace the cartridge it picks up where it left off and you cannot see a sign of this!

This PS 8250 has 6 cartridges - 1 black and 5 colored.

It's no longer in production but I believe the system lives on in other models using the O2 ink cartridges.

Hugh
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I've had similar luck with the two bottom-of-line Canon inkjets we have here. Intermittent use on both of them ... weeks may go by w/o use, but no wasted carts.

An early HP inkjet (we're talking paleolithic era) was murderously expensive, mostly because I had an employee that was mad for magenta, printed lots of iterations of his designs, and the printer didn't use individual carts for each color. That last became a "Never again" criterion for future printer purchases, you can bet. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
There's an HP All in One with Wireless (and wired ethernet I think) which is on sale and claims B&W for half the cost per page of laser prints.

Before anyone dismisses this I've had this confirmed by someone who deals with printers on the techical side ....

Here's the link to it on the HP website for full technical details

HP Officejet Pro 8000 Printer

It's on sale at Office Depot for $90 .....

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-_-NA#firstTab

and it includes autoduplexing which I consider an essential.
Remanufactured cartridges for this printer are available online for about $11, which sounds cheap, except that there are four, not two.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I really don't believe in using remanufactured cartridges on inkjets in general and on HP in particular.

I pay less than $10 (before a $3 store rebate on next buy) for new genuine HP O2 cartridges for my PS8250 at my local Staples ...... There are 6 of them but the distribution of usage is skewed and there are light and dark versions of majenta and of cyan.

Hugh
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Is an inkjet necessary? Or necessary for most of your printing? If b/w is adequate, consider a small laser printer. HP has some nice small laser printers for (what strikes me as) incredibly low prices.

For example, Staples has this for $299:
http://www.staples.com/HP-LaserJet-P...uct_762124_HC2

Network printing and duplexing (print double-sided, cut your paper costs in half).

We've got a couple low-end Canon ink-spritzers for photos and misc other color printing. For the little we use them, ink cost is pretty much a non-issue.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote