DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Kindle power cable: -1; Amazon customer service: +1

Between the last time I charged my Kindle 2 and yesterday, the power cord seems to have succumbed to a particularly virulent form of cable cancer. The insulation on the cable's gone brittle and is flaking off in pieces, exposing the wiring beneath. At 3 volts or whatever USB runs on, I doubt this presents any real hazard, but still ....

Apparently this is a common problem and Amazon has a solution. You call customer service, describe the problem, they give you an immediate "promo" credit for the amount a new cable will cost and even tell you how to search for the correct item and order it.

Start of call to finished order took under five minutes just now.

Only hitch: Shipping is going to cost me $7, this on a $10 item. And it's currently out of stock. There must be some kind of cablecancer epidemic going on.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Cable cancer, how very weird! I'll have to watch my cable(s) carefully. Fortunately we are a 2-Kindle, 2-cable household.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Only hitch: Shipping is going to cost me $7, this on a $10 item. And it's currently out of stock. There must be some kind of cablecancer epidemic going on.
If Amazon customer service were really on the ball, they should credit you for not only the item but the shipping too. Perhaps calling them back to point this out and also the fact that it's not in stock might be worth the effort?

I take it the cable is proprietary?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It's not a proprietary cable, near as I can tell ... just one of those really dinky plugs at one end, standard USB at the other.

We'll see if they credit the shipping too ... someone else on their forum mentioned that they had done this.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: It's not a proprietary cable, near as I can tell ... just one of those really dinky plugs at one end, standard USB at the other.
MicroCenter carries a lot of different cables and plugs...I was able to find the power connector for my slide scanner there when I couldn't find the one I had--discovered it 6 months later under something else...'-}}

>>We'll see if they credit the shipping too ... someone else on their forum mentioned that they had done this.

I think they should ship it for free...

Terrie
Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I think they should ship it for free...

It'd be nice if they did, and as I say, they may well yet do so. OTOH, considering the time it takes to get to Microcenter or any place like it, it's worth the seven bucks not to have to go there just for this.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: OTOH, considering the time it takes to get to Microcenter or any place like it, it's worth the seven bucks not to have to go there just for this.
I can understand that...the MicroCenter in our area is not so far away as to make the trip an adventure...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I can understand that...the MicroCenter in our area is not so far away as to make the trip an adventure...'-}}

Terrie
There's a Japanese grocery store on the way, so at least I don't have to pack provisions.

Helen's drum group used to rehearse even further north, so it was a pretty handy deal ... she'd throw me overboard at MicroC and pick me up on her way home. That gave me enough time for a leisurely geekstroll but not enough time to run up serious bills.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: That gave me enough time for a leisurely geekstroll but not enough time to run up serious bills.
LOL!!! I could run up some serious bills at MC in about a 1/2 hour...'-}}

As to Amazon Prime...I have been offered the trial membership a number of times (maybe 3-5?) over the last few of years and took the trial about a year or so ago and then cancelled just before my month's trial was up. I was offered the trial again early this month and took them up on the trial and I plan to cancel again. They make it easy to cancel--or at least did the last time--so I wasn't concerned about being hooked into it against my will.

I tend to save up my amazon orders so that I can get free shipping. There is a distribution depot somewhere close (maybe PA?) so that it really doesn't take any longer with free shipping than it would with their regular shipping...

Terrie
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

A friend of mine recommended Amazon Prime, but I have had no trouble at all saving up my amazon orders to get free shipping on virtually every eligible order. Orders always arrive speedily anyway so it's just the wait of a day or two to collect the minimum order in my shopping cart if necessary. It helps not to be in a big hurry; I have items in my cart right now sufficient for free shipping on two orders.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote