DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Can 32 Bit apps run on Win 7 64 Bit?

Quote:
franca: Wow. Thanks to you and John I have a smidgeon of hope that I may be able to preserve my beloved add-on, assuming I am willing to continue to put up with the creakiness of the FF version required to run it.
ROFL! I currently have 3 versions of FF on my system--2.something with an add-on/extension that won't run on anything later, 3.20 and what was 4 but is now 6--and I still have the last Netscape install too although I haven't used it in eons. I have each of the FF's set up with a custom shortcut so I can actually start them all independently...

>>Oh ... and under the "Duh" heading, I found my own stash of old FF versions, including the version I'm using now

LOL! I have copies too because I'm tech support for Zo's barn owner and she's got the worst online connection so I never know if I will be able to successfully download via her connection so I download at home and bring it on my flash drive just in case...

>>I don't know yet whether I can run the old version of FF on Win 7

32 or 64 bit? Can 32 bit stuff run in Win7 64 bit? Is there any sort of compatibiity mode or something in Win7 64 bit?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Default Can 32 Bit apps run on Win 7 64 Bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
ROFL! I currently have 3 versions of FF on my system--2.something with an add-on/extension that won't run on anything later, 3.20 and what was 4 but is now 6--and I still have the last Netscape install too although I haven't used it in eons. I have each of the FF's set up with a custom shortcut so I can actually start them all independently...
I thought that wasn't possible! Maybe you can tell me how to do that because I'd like to run a newer version of FF as well. I need a newer browser for some sites and really don't want to have to use IE. Although I do have Chrome ... but some annoyance or other made me stop using it. Now I've forgotten what the annoyance was.

Quote:
32 or 64 bit? Can 32 bit stuff run in Win7 64 bit? Is there any sort of compatibiity mode or something in Win7 64 bit?
It will be 64-bit Win 7 when I get it. There is compatibility mode, I'm told. I could borrow one of the netbooks running Win 7 to experiment with maybe ... but it doesn't have the pro version of Win 7 installed.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Pro vs ... um. what? Amateur? Dilettante? Punter ... yes, I like that. WinPunter.

Where was I? Oh. Pro vs Punter won't matter. 32 vs 64 may, but Win7/64's able to run 32-bit stuff if it's reasonably well-written.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Where was I? Oh. Pro vs Punter won't matter. 32 vs 64 may, but Win7/64's able to run 32-bit stuff if it's reasonably well-written.
Do you have to do something different to get it to run--right click and choose an otpion?--or will double clcking on the shortcut work?

I think my sister's new laptop has Win 7 64bit Home...

My guess is that 16bit won't install and/or run on Win 7 64 bit? Yes...I have 2 of those...WinCim and Quicken 4...'-}}
Terrie
Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Generally, you don't need to do anything special for 32-bit apps.

16-bit apps (or 32-bit apps that use 16-bit installers) are liable to be problematic. I'm not sure if Win7/Home is eligible, but some versions qualify for a free copy of XP mode (which amounts to a pre-licensed copy of XP running in a virtual machine). You should be able to install pretty much anything into that. If you can get it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Looks like Home Premium qualifies.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'm not sure if Win7/Home is eligible, but some versions qualify for a free copy of XP mode (which amounts to a pre-licensed copy of XP running in a virtual machine). You should be able to install pretty much anything into that. If you can get it.
I knew about the XP option but I didn't realize it ran as a virtual machine which is interesting. I doubt this will be an issue for my sister but I was curious...

Thanks for the link...I've saved it in my growing list of things to check out when I get her new laptop...

Terrie
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
BobRoosth

Nope. Any version can run Virtual PC, but you need Professional or Ultimate for XP Mode.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bob: Nope. Any version can run Virtual PC, but you need Professional or Ultimate for XP Mode.
What's the diff between the virtual pc and xp mode?

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
BobRoosth

Virtual PC is just the VM. You have to install an OS. Could be Win95 or 98. Or 'nix. XP Mode includes a fully licensed copy of XP Pro SP3 with a hook that allows applications in the VM appear to be normal Windows 7 applications. Works geat when it works. I have one client who needed a very old program using an external US Robotics modem. She normally does not 'see' the VM. One has to launch the VM to do normal Windows XP operations, such as installing a program.

There is a perfectly serviceable free-ware VM called Virtual Box. You have to have a copy of XP to install. According to MS license terms, that means a full retail copy. There are less than Kosher workarounds.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bob: Virtual PC is just the VM. You have to install an OS. Could be Win95 or 98. Or 'nix. XP Mode includes a fully licensed copy of XP Pro SP3 with a hook that allows applications in the VM appear to be normal Windows 7 applications.
Ahhh...thanks! I don't think my sister will need this but I might if I ever get a new system...

>>a very old program using an external US Robotics modem.

Oh ick! I remember those...they were...nasty! '-}}

Terrie