DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Got my iPad 2. Now what?

Half in joking, but I have been plodding along with this gadget without having any aha! moments or epiphanies of any other sort. It is beautiful, easy to read (beats the Kindle in many ways for text), and there are many features, some of them useful.

Did sign up for digital editions of my main print publications (New Yorker, New York mag, New York Times, and a couple of others. Interesting to see how they vary in usefulness and pleasure. It took something like 20 minutes to download next week’s New Yorker, for example — not sure I would bother (or remember) to do that every week just to get a few days’ jump on the new issue. The New Yorker is particularly attractive, by the way. All (that I chose) were free for print subscribers; and most of the apps were fairly young — maybe a little time will rub off the rough edges.

Synching is also tedious for many apps (or learning the best method of doing it is). I have been recording my blood pressures in the iPod Touch. I would like to transfer the records to the iPad, but it turns out to be tricky; if I had used a different app, it appears it would be easy (and I think I can transfer the data to that, and then continue). But it is a lot of effort for just one tiny item.

Printing is also difficult. Some H-P printers are “air print” compatible, but not the one I have (I think of it as a new printer, but it is evidently too old for this new technology). I can send pages to myself via e-mail and read/print from there, but that is not an elegant solution. There are utility apps for printing; have to look into those (all seem to have lots of defects).

I would really like to use the iPad for calendar and contact information, synched back to my Mac. But I loathe the Apple programs and I do not see anything much better among the Apps. I got an iPad app for good old iData, so will try to do that. At least I know I can understand how it works. May be some printing issues with that.

Anyway, it arrived only Tuesday morning, just as we were setting off for the day, so I have only just begun. Sure is a pretty thing. And heavy, btw.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Sounds like it's pretty nifty...

My sister's little inkjet printer died yesterday (4-5 years old) and a friend told me that Office Depot (which I normally loathe) always had sale printers so we went looking last night and found a rather cute (very small footprint) Brother all-in-one (my sister has been wanting an all-in-one) for...$60!

Last night I went to the Brother website to check for current drivers and take a browse at the manuals and there is an app available for the printer to print(? do something) with mobile devices which I'm thinking is probably what you are talking about with the HP and the iPad so if you've not checked HP's site, you might do that and see if they have an app available...

I installed the printer today and it's really quite nice--I'm not a fan of all-in-ones but this MCF-J410W is, particularly for that price, a nice little machine...

The best part of this is that my sister has a set of inkcarts she bought at Staples for the old printer and the credit she will get when we return the cart-pack will pay for the new printer with $10 left over...'-}}

I figure even if this thing only lasts a year, it was worth the price...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Any cash recovery from ink carts is a great boon — congrats.

I have a toner (color) printer; hopeless. They ship them the day after they declare them obsolete!

Ah, well.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Any cash recovery from ink carts is a great boon — congrats.
This was a true return as the ink carts had never been opened/used and Staples took them back giving her a full refund--she also returns used carts to them getting a couple of bucks here and there in credit in her Staples account. Turned out that she'd paid a bit less than she remembered for the carts at $66 (she thought she'd paid $70) but the printer was still paid for so she's quite happy...

She almost bought a set of ink carts along with the printer at Office Depot last night but I stopped her when I realized that they wanted $55 for the black plus CMY carts--special packaging. Amazon had the ink carts at a very good price charging about $40 for 2 black carts and one each of CMY with free shipping and of course no tax. So for just about $100 she's got a nice printer/fax/scanner/photoprinter with enough ink carts to last her for a bit...

>>I have a toner (color) printer; hopeless. They ship them the day after they declare them obsolete!

Ugh! I love my laser printer--HP2200D, monochrome--and I tried to convince my sister that it would be "better" but she really wanted color. In thinking about it, I realized that for me "color" is for artwork and when I'm printing text, it's the content that is important to me and that color is distracting so I guess it's just a different strokes sort of thing...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

For a different calendar, have a look at Calvetica. I use it instead of the Apple one.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
For a different calendar, have a look at Calvetica. I use it instead of the Apple one.
Thanks. I think I saw that at some point and dismissed it out of hand because it, like iCal, uses Helvetica. I find it hard to read on screens, and wish I understood why it is forced on me.

But Calvetica does have other features I like, especially the minimalist interface, so think I will give it a try.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

I looked at Calvetica, and found that it wasn’t designed for the iPad. However it does work with the iPod Touch, so I downloaded the free Calvetica Narrow for that.

Thanks for the heads up. It does look better than the dratted Apple calendar.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I looked at Calvetica, and found that it wasn’t designed for the iPad. However it does work with the iPod Touch, so I downloaded the free Calvetica Narrow for that.

Thanks for the heads up. It does look better than the dratted Apple calendar.
Oh sorry about that. I don't use my iPad for calendar stuff because the iPhone is always with me.

It's certainly a lot better than the Apple version. I recently solved a problem that had been with me for quite a long time; some daily calendar events that had come across from Entourage persistently failed to work, in spite of looking as if they should. When I looked at them in Calvetica, they all had a weird date and time in the past for the next reminder time. Fixed and now working as they should.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Oh sorry about that. I don't use my iPad for calendar stuff because the iPhone is always with me.

It's certainly a lot better than the Apple version. I recently solved a problem that had been with me for quite a long time; some daily calendar events that had come across from Entourage persistently failed to work, in spite of looking as if they should. When I looked at them in Calvetica, they all had a weird date and time in the past for the next reminder time. Fixed and now working as they should.
I downloaded the free (slender) version and will see how it goes. If I want more functions, I can move up to the paid (non-slender) one.

I do love the idea of a “delicious” agenda view!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I downloaded the free (slender) version and will see how it goes. If I want more functions, I can move up to the paid (non-slender) one.

I do love the idea of a “delicious” agenda view!
I haven't come across that one!

Another app I use all the time is Timer+ It allows multiple timers (each with its own beep sound), shows them all on the screen, and the basic beep never gives up, so you can't ignore it. Franca and I had a discussion here a few years ago about our ability to ignore or not even hear a timer if we were busy concentrating on work. This one is a solution to that problem. The free one has all the functions of the paid one, but with ads at the bottom of the screen. I ended up paying, not much, and the one payment works for iPhone and iPad. Nice people.