DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Oh those techie challenges...'-}}

A little background first...

As many of you know, I have a special captioned telephone called a CapTel. In November/December 2009, I decided I was going to get FiOS for broadband access and phone and because my old CapTel phone model wouldn't work with FiOS, I bought a fairly newly released CapTel phone--the 800i--which uses a broadband connection to supply the speech-to-text captions that appear on the CapTel screen. After the FiOS install everything seemed to be working well until I discovered that the 800i wasn't displaying and storing the CallerID info. CapTel was unable to fix the problem at that time so they sent me a separate CallerID box--rather a fancy-schmancy one at that--which I then placed here in my den and it was great to see who might be calling without having to run into the living where I have my 800i--since then, the CallerId problem on the 800i has been fixed but I still use the CallerID box in my den.

Got all that???

Today, for some bizarro reason, the little red light on CallerID box here in the den kept blinking indicating that someone had called but pressing the usual button to turn off the blinking didn't work. I tried unplugging the box and then plugging it in again and that still didn't turn off the little red blinking light which is right in my line of sight and was beginning to drive me nuts.

I checked my 800i in the living room and discovered that I had knocked the handset off the phone base probably when I retrieved a message off my phone answering machine while waiting for the AAA guy to come and replace the battery in my truck--fun day today! I thought ah-ha! that must be why the little red light on the CallerID box was blinking and isn't that clever!

That wasn't it...the little red light kept blinking and blinking and blinking and driving me nuts and then it hit me...

It must mean that there was a message waiting in my Verizon voicemail box which I have never, ever used in the almost 2 years I've had FiOS phone because I have a separate phone answering machine. The problem was, where, exactly, did I stash the instructions for accessing FiOS voicemail that the very nice FiOS installer had written out for me? It took a bit to find the instructions but I did finally find them and girding up my loins with lots and lots of bravery, I tackled setting up my voicemail. This was not a fun process.

Using voicemail menus is always a pita but combine that with my hearing loss, the lag in the speech-to-text conversion (the Communication Assistant isn't clairvoyant so s/he needs to wait until words are actually spoken to begin repeating what is being spoken so that the captions can appear on my 800i screen) and my lack of familiarity with voicemail (it's been eons since I've used a voicemail system) and it's just a real aggravation.

I was however, successful as I was able to I set my new passcode (took 4 tries, with 4 separate phone calls starting the process over again each time I called), recorded a greeting, declined to record a greeting for a busy signal and declined at least one other thing I can't remember but decided I'd never use and finally, I changed the number of rings for pickup to 5--my answering machine picks up in 3.

Fill out this matchbook cover and you, too, can become a techologist...'-}}

After doing all of this, I finally got around to retrieving the voicemail message that had started all this crapola. It was a message from Verizon telling me that my voicemail messages will only be kept for 30 days and then deleted.

Like I care...'-}}

I then began to wonder why the message had gone to voicemail rather than my answering machine recording the message. The only thing I can figure is that after I knocked the handset off the base, a call came in and got a busy signal which kicked the call over to voicemail which started the little red light on my CallerID box blinking and blinking and blinking and blinking...

Fill out this matchbook cover and you, too, can become a techologist...'-}}

Oh...and the little red light on my CallerID box is no longer blinking...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Oh...and the little red light on my CallerID box is no longer blinking...'-}}

Terrie
Whew! But I am glad that you got it all sorted out! (I love the message that screwed everything up! Typical telco communications.)

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Whew! But I am glad that you got it all sorted out!
Me too! What a pita and a half...but...at least now I know why the little red light was blinking on the CallerID box here in the den and couldn't be shut off. I have another small CallerID box I bought on ebay after I received the fancy one for free--this was when the 800i's CallerID was still not working--and I have it next to the 800i in my living room. It had a green light blinking and I think that's why it finally occurred to me that it might be a voicemail message as the living room CallerID box blinks red when a phone call has been recorded.

>>(I love the message that screwed everything up! Typical telco communications.)

Indeed....the thing that's annoying is that the CallerID for the Verizon call is "unavailable"! You'd think that Verizon would id their own phone numbers?!

Terrie
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Could you explain that again. <gd&r>

Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Could you explain that again. <gd&r>
LOL!!! You are very bad...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>> It was a message from Verizon telling me that my voicemail messages will only be kept for 30 days and then deleted.

ROFL! After all that! But at least now the truck's working, so if you decide to put the CID box on the street and drive over it, you're good to go.

Of course, if you did that, how'd you ever know that you'd missed an important call. From somebody offering to sell you siding, for example.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: ROFL! After all that!
Exactly what I thought...'-}}

>>But at least now the truck's working, so if you decide to put the CID box on the street and drive over it, you're good to go.

Nah...I never had CallerID before I got FiOS and I've come to really like having it. The extra fancy-schmanzy CallerID box I got for free is useful in the den and...of course...today I discovered that it will blink maniacally to let me know the is a voicemail message--the CapTel 800i has no indicator for that except the special sound the phone makes when you pick up the handset which...of course...for someone like me is...rather a dumb design approach...'-}}

Now if I could just figure out why the battery in my truck only lasts 1.5 years instead of closer to the 3 years it's supposed to...it couldn't be that AAA is selling cheapo batteries for lots of money could it? Heaven forbid...'-}}

>>Of course, if you did that, how'd you ever know that you'd missed an important call. From somebody offering to sell you siding, for example.

Oh! I do soooo hate to miss those calls...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> the CapTel 800i has no indicator for that except the special sound the phone makes when you pick up the handset

You really wonder what goes through their minds sometimes. And why they let people who're out of them design products.

Hm. I was at a conference in Atlanta when the battery on the van conked out on me. I was sure glad to hear the AAA guy say that he could replace it on the spot. Kinda hard to drive to Pep Boys to pick up a new battery for a car that won't start IN the car that won't start. I figure any premium I paid them for the battery was probably way less than the cabfare and hassle would've been otherwise.

That'll be two years ago in the fall ... um ... so about 1.5 years. Uh-oh. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: You really wonder what goes through their minds sometimes. And why they let people who're out of them design products.
Exactly my thought...there is a little indicator on the screen that does flash but it's not all the visible or useful which is why I like using my answering machine because the little red light (another one!) blinks when there's a message on the machine...

>>Hm. I was at a conference in Atlanta when the battery on the van conked out on me. I was sure glad to hear the AAA guy say that he could replace it on the spot. Kinda hard to drive to Pep Boys to pick up a new battery for a car that won't start IN the car that won't start. I figure any premium I paid them for the battery was probably way less than the cabfare and hassle would've been otherwise.

Exactly! I had absolutely NO warning that there was a problem with the battery which is very annoying...

>>That'll be two years ago in the fall ... um ... so about 1.5 years. Uh-oh. ;-)

LOL!! I've been wondering if the short time I'm getting is because I don't drive all that much...I will be going to the car shop tomorrow to get an oil change and will ask the guys whether they think the AAA batteries are not very good and/or if my lack of driving is the culprit...

What pissed me off was that AAA replaced the battery in July 2007, then in Nov 2009 they replaced it again--brand new battery--which was covered under the 3 year warrranty so I didn't pay. I had to pay yesterday because a new warranty period didn't start in 2009 when they put a brand new battery in. I could sort of argue this either way but it seems to me that since a new battery was installed in 2009, then a new warranty period should start at that point. We shall see what AAA has to say but my guess is that I'm SOL...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I had absolutely NO warning that there was a problem with the battery which is very annoying...

That's typical of the sealed batteries we get nowadays. They'll fire the car up like nobody's business on a cold morning, get you to work, sit all day in an indoor garage, then be too dead to make the starter solenoid click when you're ready to go home.

Lack of driving could well be a problem. Suppose you've got something that's draining ever so little electricity but shouldn't be. Normally, no matter. It drains the battery from 100% to 90%, you drive every day and the battery gets topped back up. But if you don't drive for a month or two, your battery's gone.

But on the warranty, I think that they're being fair. You paid for a battery guaranteed for three years. If the original had gone the full three years then died, you'd have been miffed but you wouldn't have felt cheated, right? But instead you've gotten almost four years for the same money. You owe THEM!!! ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff