DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default WinXP & pagefile.sys

I know with WinXP that the Windows-based defrag will not defrag the PageFile. I have my system PageFile defined on its own partition and I also have a partition set up for Photoshop's Scratch file.

I am considering setting "No paging file" on my current PageFile, turning on the PageFile using the PS Scratch file, then defragging the original system PageFile and finally reestablishing the original system Pagefile turning off the PageFile setting for the PS Scratch file. Rebooting as necessary.

Questions:

1. Has anyone done anything like this and if so, did you have any problems?

2. When defining a PageFile, the system creates pagefile.sys. I'm not sure if the original pagefile.sys file in the original PageFile partition will be deleted by the system when I set the PS Scratch file as the PageFile--either immediately or as part of the rebooting process. If pagefile.sys in the original PageFile parition is not deleted, can I delete it, empty the Recycle Bin and then defrag the partition?

3. I know there is a free app from Microsoft that will defrag the PageFile partition as part of the boot process but I've never used it and while slightly more involved, I think I'm more comfortable with this manual approach. Has anyone used pagedrfg.exe?

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You're trying to defrag the page file?

How about this (I just did most of this in XP for giggles ... all but the defrag):

Tell Windows "No page file please". You'll have to restart and Windows will delete the existing page file. There won't be any page file in the recycle bin after the reboot.

Defrag the disk.

Tell Windows "Page file please" and specify size. Used to be you'd want to make the minimum and maximum sizes the same. That'd force Windows to pre-allocate the entire amount ahead of time. On a defragged disk, that should, I think, give you an unfragmented page file and keep the page file from becoming fragmented (it's already pre-made-big ... Windows doesn't have to go looking for other bits of space to expand it into later.)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: You're trying to defrag the page file?
No...I knew I couldn't but it's not been defrag'd since the system was built and I was doing a bit of clean up on the drive I use for my imaging work and decided to do a bit of research on defragging the PageFile. pagedfrg.exe can be used to show the fragmentation on the drives/partitions on a system and my PageFile has 16 fragments which from my reading is a lot.

>>Tell Windows "No page file please". You'll have to restart and Windows will delete the existing page file. There won't be any page file in the recycle bin after the reboot.

I know how to do it, but wasn't sure about what happened to pagefile.sys...thanks for checking because I'm very cautious (read..."coward") when it comes to doing this sort of stuff...'-}}

I was going to hedge my bets by making my PS Scratch partition, the PageFile but really, I guess I don't need to do that since (theoretically at least), this is temporary for as long as the defrag takes and I wouldn't be doing anything else. I did wonder about how Avira A/V and ZoneAlarm might use the PageFile and the fact that I've got broadband going but I guess if I don't specifically call on either of those processes, then I guess I'm ok...

>>Tell Windows "Page file please" and specify size. Used to be you'd want to make the minimum and maximum sizes the same. That'd force Windows to pre-allocate the entire amount ahead of time.

Yes...that's how I do it using the "Custom Size" option...

Just had another thought...

When you rebooted, did you do a warm boot (Restart) or a cold boot (shut down)?

Thank you!!!

Terrie
Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I know how to do it, but wasn't sure about what happened to pagefile.sys...thanks for checking because I'm very cautious (read..."coward") when it comes to doing this sort of stuff...'-}}

Me too. Virtual machines are wonderful for doing potentially fatal experiments. In this case, I figured Windows wouldn't let me "unpage" it if it weren't moderately safe, so I did the deed on a real PC. The TEST PC. Natch.

>> I was going to hedge my bets by making my PS Scratch partition, the PageFile but really, I guess I don't need to do that since (theoretically at least), this is temporary for as long as the defrag takes and I wouldn't be doing anything else. I did wonder about how Avira A/V and ZoneAlarm might use the PageFile and the fact that I've got broadband going but I guess if I don't specifically call on either of those processes, then I guess I'm ok...

If they're touching the pagefile, they deserve to have their little fingers cut off. That belongs to Windows and its memory management.

>> Just had another thought...

No, sorry. You're over your limit. ;-)

>> When you rebooted, did you do a warm boot (Restart) or a cold boot (shut down)

Restart (warm boot).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If they're touching the pagefile, they deserve to have their little fingers cut off. That belongs to Windows and its memory management.
Yes...well...they are processes that use memory so...you never know...

>>No, sorry. You're over your limit. ;-)

ROFL!!!

>>Restart (warm boot).

Oh good...much easier...will try this tomorrow and (hopefully) report back...'-}}

Thanks!

Happy Solstice!!! Spring is coming*...

Terrie

* due to regulations, this offer is not extended to the southern hemisphere...

Last edited by terrie; 12-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Sooo...that was pretty easy--set No Page File, reboot, defrag, re-set the PageFile, reboot--but according to pagedrfg.exe (you can run it just to see what the fragmentation is on each partition) the PageFile now has 7 fragments (vs. 16) and I hadn't done anything on the system...oh well...maybe I"ll try it again in a few days...

Terrie
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I guess that somewhere between defragging and rebooting, Windows must have filled up a few sectors, forcing the pagefile to fragment when you re-created it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I guess that somewhere between defragging and rebooting, Windows must have filled up a few sectors, forcing the pagefile to fragment when you re-created it.
That's what I figured...I may try rebooting after the defrag and then adding that PageFile back...but at least 7 fragments is better than 16...

Terrie
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Has anyone any real evidence that any of this makes any difference for normal users? <s>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Has anyone any real evidence that any of this makes any difference for normal users? <s>
Haven't a clue...'-}}

Terrie