DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Headset for for Win XP Pro.

I can use a USB headset with microphone with my Win XP Pro computer, but I cannot figure out how to switch to an inexpensive listening only headset. Any advice?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Rightclick the volume control at the right of the taskbar and choose Adjust Audio Properties OR Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.

In the resulting d'log box, go to the Audio tab.

Under Sound Playback, you should see any active audio devices in the dropdown. One should be your USB headset if it's still plugged in, another will be the computer's sound card. That's what feeds the audio in/out jacks on the computer so you want to select it.

You'll probably want to do the same on the Voice tab.

Then click Volume on either tab and make sure that the master volume's up, along with the volume for any audio devices you plan to listen to and that none of them are muted.

That, in theory, should do it. In practice? Over to you ...

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Realtek Audio input/output

When I right click on the volume and go to the Audio tab, I see RealTek audio input and RealTek audio output. When I boot, I do get the WinXP sounds, but nothing when trying CNN.com videos with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.11. Same thing with Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Rightclick the volume control at the right of the taskbar and choose Adjust Audio Properties OR Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.

In the resulting d'log box, go to the Audio tab.

Under Sound Playback, you should see any active audio devices in the dropdown. One should be your USB headset if it's still plugged in, another will be the computer's sound card. That's what feeds the audio in/out jacks on the computer so you want to select it.

You'll probably want to do the same on the Voice tab.

Then click Volume on either tab and make sure that the master volume's up, along with the volume for any audio devices you plan to listen to and that none of them are muted.

That, in theory, should do it. In practice? Over to you ...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Is this with the USB headset unplugged? If not, try it that way. And does the headset have any special drivers? I've never run into any that do, but if so, the driver might be interfering with your choice of output device.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Is this with the USB headset unplugged? If not, try it that way. And does the headset have any special drivers? I've never run into any that do, but if so, the driver might be interfering with your choice of output device.
Same thing happens with the USB headset unplugged. The Realtek software is the driver for the sound card. Currently, I cannot seem to get sound with either the USB headset or the sound card headphone with browsers, but I do hear the WinXP Pro sounds that I still have turned on.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Assuming you've done the obvious ... checked that the volume's up on the task bar and that it's not muted ... I'm stumped, I'm afraid.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
When I right click on the volume and go to the Audio tab, I see RealTek audio input and RealTek audio output. When I boot, I do get the WinXP sounds, but nothing when trying CNN.com videos with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.11. Same thing with Opera.
Assuming Flash is involved, is the volume on in the Flash screen? If so, can you make it louder with the Flash volume control?
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Flash Involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVegVT View Post
Assuming Flash is involved, is the volume on in the Flash screen? If so, can you make it louder with the Flash volume control?
--Judy M.
Is Flash involved when I go to CNN and look at a video? I can see the video, but not hear it. Right now, I have not figured out how to hear it with USB headphones, which I was once able to do.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Is flash involved? Almost certainly. I just checked one of the videos on the front page at CNN and it's flash. Nearly everything on the web is, unless it's specifically directed at Mac users and nobody else.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

Have you adjusted the Flash player's volume? If you hover over the red progress bar it will expand and the loudspeaker icon is where the volume control is located.

The other thing you might want to try is to play a music CD to check if you can hear that.