DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Tunga has stopped displaying alpha characters - help!

I designed some logos for an organisation about 2 months ago. They wated some amendments, and now I find that the font I chose (Tunga - TTF and fairly standard with Windows XP) has stopped working properly - not just on one PC, but both. The TTF file is dated 2007 so hasn't changed, and I am wondering if a Windows update has screwed up somehow as that's the only common thing to the 2 of them? I think Tunga is mainly used for foreigh languages as it has a large Unicode glyph set - but it used to work and now it doesn't.

Looking at the Explorer font preview, all alpha characters show as rectangles, but numbers and some punctuation are OK.

Google has not been my friend in this case, so I hope someone else here can shed some light!

I know I can change the font, but I'll have to redo the lot as the font metrics are different.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Howard Allen

Lois--

FWIW, I opened WordPad on my Windows (XP) machine and tried a few fonts, and Tunga, along with a few other "foreign language" fonts (such as Gautami) don't work on mine, either.

I strongly suspect it's an installed language issue. I opened the "Regional and Language Options" control panel and on the Languages tab, there are check-box options for "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)" and "Install files for East Asian languages". Perhaps one of these will fix your problem. When I clicked the box for "Install...complex script...", I got a warning message that it would use up 10MB on my hard drive to install the files--which I didn't personally want. But here's the best clue: when I deselected the check box, I got another warning message, thus:

"If you remove the Arabic, ...etc... and Vietnamese language files, you will no longer be able to enter or display text in these languages..."

Sound familiar? I suspect, perhaps, your foreign script support got omitted or otherwise turned off during a Windows update or reinstallation. Worth a try? It'll only cost you 10MB.

Cheers,

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Thanks Howard, I'll give it a go when I can find the installation disk!

I think you may be right, as lots of other 'furrin' fonts are knackered too, like the wonderfully named Estrangelo Edessa!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'm seeing much the same thing; if I choose Tunga (Gautami, Shruti) in WordPad, it simply ignores me and leaves the text in Arial or whatever it was before.

According to the MS font properties add-in, Tunga has only glyphs for the language Kanada and is intended as a UI font. CharMap seems to agree ... there are only 6 1/2 rows of 20 characters each, a few western numbers and the rest something that looks like one of the Indian scripts (Kanada is mentioned as an Indic language).

Howard, I don't think installing files for East Asian languages will help. I have that installed on one of the PCs and I'm still seeing the same as you and Lois.

Another hypothesis: WordPad Just Says No. But suppose another program behaved differently ... when faced with a Latin character that's not encoded in the chosen font, it substituted another font? As, in fact, some applications will do. Word, for example.

So Lois, what app (and version) did you use to create this in the first place and what app/version are you using now?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Steve - this was made in Paintshop Pro (version 7), and now won't show properly in that, or versions X or X2.

The funny thing is, it used to work when I made the graphics, which was on 26th August. I have the PNG versions to prove it! But now when I open the graphic, v7 complains that Tunga isn't a font, and the others open it but with the missing glyphs.

BTW, I tried installing the eastern languages as per Howard's idea, and nothing has changed. So, I am pretty sure a Windows update has caused this. Perhaps before, substitution was occurring without asking, but now, something in the way fonts are handled has changed?

Grrrr!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tungadoesnstexist.gif
Views:	24
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1654   Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1655  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Grrr indeed.

This might help:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...aspx?FMID=1809

Notice that it claims to include Latin, Latin-1 Supplement and Kannada.

I have Tunga v 1.07 here, created in 2000, modified date 2002
Windows XP SP3

My version (and I suspect yours) has only Kannada, no Latin-anything, which'd account for the missing characters.

Fired up a Win7 vm and found that it has a later version of Tunga, which DOES seem to include the extra character sets. Interesting ... apparently you can tell Win7 whether or not to "Show" fonts (meaning make them available to applications). Tunga is not shown by default, but if you rightclick and choose Show, it appears in application font lists and appears to include the characters you'd want.

But to make your day even more joyful: the characters in your logo screenshot don't look like the Tunga that displays here (Win7, in WordPad and the font previewer). The "r" and "G" characters are the real tipoff. Whether that's because font substitution's going on at your end or mine, I don't know.

Want more frustration? These people apparently own the font:
http://www.ascenderfonts.com/font/tunga-kannada.aspx
You can type sample text into a box and see ... er ... a message saying that the font doesn't contain those characters, even though below it lists Latin as one of the encoded character sets.

BTW, "eastern" languages is actually "far eastern" languages ... Japanese, Korean, Chinese. I didn't expect it'd have any effect.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I have Tunga v 1.07 here, created in 2000, modified date 2002
Windows XP SP3
I'd never heard of this font before and didn't think I had it but looking in FontNav, I find I do have it. It's dated 2001--no version that I can find but for what it's worth, FontNav flags it as an OT font--and in FontNav is shows blanks where the sample text would be.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

MS' Font Properties Extension is a handy little thing to have for this kind of question.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...sOverview.mspx

And it's not even a .NET-bloated POS that takes half an hour to groan to life. Very unMS of it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Howard Allen

Lois--

On a hunch, I tried an experiment. I downloaded your "TMAG Town Mill Arts Guild" logo, placed it in Illustrator, then, on a new layer, typed the same characters over top in—wait for it—Arial. Guess what? Except for the letterspacing, the glyphs overlay 100%. There's no difference. It is Arial.

How's about this for a theory: Maybe your Tunga never worked! You thought you were typing the logo in Tunga, but Windows was pulling a fast one and substituting Arial, but you didn't realize it at the time. You had no way of knowing what Tunga looked like (since Windows wouldn't display it), so how would you know? Is this possible?

Bottom line is, I think you can save yourself a lot of hair-pulling and just use good ol' Arial.

Cheers,

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

I did wonder if that was happening, and an update made the program complain where it didn't before.

The funny thing is - here - by accepting the font substitution to Arial that was offered, the vector text was all over the place, which is why I had doubts.

Thanks guys for all the investigation on my behalf!