DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default iPod Touch

Well, since I need a phone and lust for an iPad, of course I went out and bought an iPod Touch (the new one).

It actually ends up making more sense than I expected — I need to learn how to use these new technologies, and the Touch is plenty challenging. I really miss Undo, and still don’t know how to copy/paste (but Ann says it should be there).

It is very pretty. And if I can figure out how to get to the Buy button, I may acquire an app or two.

Any cautions or suggestions for me?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Well, since I need a phone and lust for an iPad, of course I went out and bought an iPod Touch (the new one).

It actually ends up making more sense than I expected — I need to learn how to use these new technologies, and the Touch is plenty challenging. I really miss Undo, and still don’t know how to copy/paste (but Ann says it should be there).

It is very pretty. And if I can figure out how to get to the Buy button, I may acquire an app or two.

Any cautions or suggestions for me?
Don't drop it in the toilet.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Don't drop it in the toilet.
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

You remind me of my doctor when he told me I have osteoporosis and I asked what, besides medication, I could do to avoid breaking a bone. He told me to avoid falling down.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Our doctor's offered similar sage advice on a number of problems. Don't get old.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

I generally buy apps for the iPod from iTunes and they then get loaded onto the iPod next time I plug it in. I find it's much quicker and more reliable that way.

My 'must have' apps include things like complete OS maps of the UK but they probably won't be much value to you unless you're thinking of visiting and taking some walks in the countryside.

However, here's a few recommendations:

Goodreader: good for reading pdfs. It will also display pdfs as plain text which can make them easier to read. You can easily switch between formatted and plain text display as you read.

Documents To Go: Allows creation and editing of Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents

Print n Share: Allows printing to many printers including the HP 2605dn but might be redundant after release of the new iOS in November.

iBP: If you take your blood pressure regularly this is good for keeping track of readings.

Skype works well with the earphones and mic that come with the iPod if you have a WiFi signal.

Scrabble - play against someone else or the iPod (which seems to know loads of incredibly obscure words).

BBC News or World Mobile News (both free and both provide BBC news feeds).

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I generally buy apps for the iPod from iTunes and they then get loaded onto the iPod next time I plug it in. I find it's much quicker and more reliable that way.

My 'must have' apps include things like complete OS maps of the UK but they probably won't be much value to you unless you're thinking of visiting and taking some walks in the countryside.

However, here's a few recommendations:

Goodreader: good for reading pdfs. It will also display pdfs as plain text which can make them easier to read. You can easily switch between formatted and plain text display as you read.

Documents To Go: Allows creation and editing of Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents

Print n Share: Allows printing to many printers including the HP 2605dn but might be redundant after release of the new iOS in November.

iBP: If you take your blood pressure regularly this is good for keeping track of readings.

Skype works well with the earphones and mic that come with the iPod if you have a WiFi signal.

Scrabble - play against someone else or the iPod (which seems to know loads of incredibly obscure words).

BBC News or World Mobile News (both free and both provide BBC news feeds).
Thanks — that looks like a great list. In fact I just downloaded iBP — have been looking for something just like that!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

Congratulations. Your reasoning makes sense to me, too. I can't make any specific app recommendations because I'm in the Android world (because I was already a gmail user), but I have some suggestions for categories to explore.

1) A crossword app. Shortyz on the Droid is the app I use most.

2) eReader apps. I was surprised at how much I enjoy using the Droid as an eReader. I would expect the apps from the major vendors to be free for the Touch because they're free for the Droid. I've only bought two ebooks, but I've downloaded quite a few that are in the public domain.

3) An app that lets you use the camera's LED as a flashlight. The flashlight app on my Droid has come in amazingly handy on a few occasions.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thanks for the suggestions. I do the print crosswords in the Times every day and know it would be easier and faster to do them digitally. Besides, it wouldn’t tie up the paper — or leave a hole where I cut out the hard puzzles.

I searched for Shortyz but do not find it available for iPhone/Touch. There are several other crossword apps, including a couple that work with the Times puzzles, but I haven’t checked them out yet.

At first I thought an e-reader would be redundant, but while the Touch type is tiny it is really readable — more pleasant in many ways than the Kindle. So I will get one of those.

Hadn’t thought about using it as a flashlight. May do. How much of a battery drain is there when used that way, I wonder?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
I searched for Shortyz but do not find it available for iPhone/Touch. There are several other crossword apps, including a couple that work with the Times puzzles, but I haven’t checked them out yet.
I found out about Shortyz on Brendan Emmett Quigley's site. For what it's worth, right next to the link to Shortyz is a link to an iPhone crossword app from a company called Stand Alone.

Quote:
Hadn’t thought about using it as a flashlight. May do. How much of a battery drain is there when used that way, I wonder?
I'm not sure about how much power the flashlight app uses, because in those few cases where I needed to use the Droid's light, I didn't need it long. I just needed it fast.

I'm sure you will be very happy with the Touch, especially when you discover that it can do things for you that you didn't imagine when you bought it.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky View Post
1) A crossword app. Shortyz on the Droid is the app I use most.

2) eReader apps. I was surprised at how much I enjoy using the Droid as an eReader. I would expect the apps from the major vendors to be free for the Touch because they're free for the Droid. I've only bought two ebooks, but I've downloaded quite a few that are in the public domain.

3) An app that lets you use the camera's LED as a flashlight. The flashlight app on my Droid has come in amazingly handy on a few occasions.
Agree with all of the above. Used the Droid flashlight tonight. Since I am really bad about keeping traditional flashlights handy (and their batteries fresh) the flashlight on the Droid has been a life saver. Pure genius. Just like the camera, the best flashlight is the one you've got in your pocket when you need it.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote