DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Labeling CDs

>>cristen: I think it will be the 2400. It doesn't print on disks, I gather.

I don't think so...can't remember reading that at any rate....

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Or you can pick up one of the inexpensive Epson printers that do print on CDs/DVDs. I did that. Still have to hook up that little printer, but it's sitting here ready to go.
I didn't know that. Last I looked (a LONG time ago) the CD/DVD printers were for professionals making half a million copies<G> I'll have to go see how inexpensive you think inexpensive is. ;>)

Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
I didn't know that. Last I looked (a LONG time ago) the CD/DVD printers were for professionals making half a million copies<G> I'll have to go see how inexpensive you think inexpensive is. ;>)
Under $100 cheap enough for ya?

Try looking at the Epson R200 that I got. There's also the R300 for about $50 more. R200 will be fine for me, but your mileage may vary. :-)

Old 05-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Under $100 cheap enough for ya?

Try looking at the Epson R200 that I got. There's also the R300 for about $50 more. R200 will be fine for me, but your mileage may vary. :-)
I did take a look, and at the others that say they do it. The cheapest does seem to be the R200, which is more than enough. I was thinking for just printing CDs, $45 sounded about right. ;>)

But if the printer lasts for 3 years or so, that's not a bad price to pay for a little more peace of mind. Right now, I seem to have recently gotten a bit frantic to find something, popping CDs right and left into the drive, and now they're mixed up. I HATE stopping what I'm doing and looking for anything. So I reckon I'll buy the R200 pretty soon now. Thanks for directing me.

Sheesh! Computers are costing me too much, in time, effort *and* money. In for a penny, in for a pound is becoming awfully literal.<BG>

Old 05-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
Right now, I seem to have recently gotten a bit frantic to find something, popping CDs right and left into the drive, and now they're mixed up. I HATE stopping what I'm doing and looking for anything. So I reckon I'll buy the R200 pretty soon now. Thanks for directing me.
I label CDs with a nice fat Sharpie marker. It is not elegant, but it is fast.

Is that too tacky for you?

Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I label CDs with a nice fat Sharpie marker. It is not elegant, but it is fast.

Is that too tacky for you?
Too scary. See this MacInTouch report on CD-R failures. I have the CD printer now and will set it up soon, but have been using the CD-approved markers ever since reading about CD-R failure issues at MacInTouch last year. The markers I use I can get at Best Buy and are made by Memorex. Hm...looking them up at the Memorex site, I see they've improved them with dual tips and interesting colors.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Too scary. See this MacInTouch report on CD-R failures. I have the CD printer now and will set it up soon, but have been using the CD-approved markers ever since reading about CD-R failure issues at MacInTouch last year. The markers I use I can get at Best Buy and are made by Memorex. Hm...looking them up at the Memorex site, I see they've improved them with dual tips and interesting colors.
Interesting. I devoted about one brain cell awhile back to wondering if there was anything besides the infamous ballpoint pen that could have a negative effect on the data if used on a CD. Of course I never followed up on that thought. Hmmmmm....

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Interesting.

I have been writing serial numbers, date of purchase, etc., on CDs ever since I started gettting them (a decade ago?), and I have never had a problem with any of them. Not that they get used all that often, once an upgrade arrives.

But maybe it’s not a great idea to put anything on — or next to — the top surface of any CD if you really care about its contents.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Interesting.

I have been writing serial numbers, date of purchase, etc., on CDs ever since I started gettting them (a decade ago?), and I have never had a problem with any of them. Not that they get used all that often, once an upgrade arrives.

But maybe it’s not a great idea to put anything on — or next to — the top surface of any CD if you really care about its contents.
That'd surely be the safest way, but I understand that printing atop inkjet-prepared disk surface should be safe, given that inkjet inks are not solvent-based and there's no adhesive to eat into the surface.

I have one very specific family project I need that CD printer for. Five years ago for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary celebration we took all the record albums (78s!) they'd recorded during the 40s and early 50s and had them transferred to CD. I took that CD and burned copies for all my sisters and all their kids (who subsequently ordered some copies for some of their children), creating a very special label for them that everyone loves. Wellllllll, now that we know that labels are not a wise thing on anything meant to be preserved for posterity, I'm going to have to re-burn all those CDs and print them with that label. (Hopefully I can find that Photoshop file around here somewhere!)

Hm...guess I need to figure out which are the best quality, inkjet-printable CD blanks to get. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening...

Old 05-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
That'd surely be the safest way, but I understand that printing atop inkjet-prepared disk surface should be safe, given that inkjet inks are not solvent-based and there's no adhesive to eat into the surface.
Hm...guess I need to figure out which are the best quality, inkjet-printable CD blanks to get. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening...
I guess. But if we talking about chemistry here, with plastics (which are usually emitting something), I am not so certain that even water-soluble inks would necessarily be hazard-free.

I did not read all the linked articles on Macintouch, but it would be helpful to hear from chemists — especially on how high the risk is — before adopting some different chemical environment. Maybe I’ll unleash Jack on the Macintouch links.