DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Kayza

Default Cell phones & pockets

That bad? The vibrate on my phone is loud enough for me to hear if it's on my desk, but not so much that everyone else is being disturbed. I guess I'm lucky.

What about keeping the phone in your pocket or on a belt clip? I know it's probably not optimal, and you shouldn't need to worry about it. On the other hand, if you can't avoid the problem...
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayza View Post
That bad? The vibrate on my phone is loud enough for me to hear if it's on my desk, but not so much that everyone else is being disturbed. I guess I'm lucky.

What about keeping the phone in your pocket or on a belt clip? I know it's probably not optimal, and you shouldn't need to worry about it. On the other hand, if you can't avoid the problem...
My work phone lives in a clip on my work trousers, and it's a real pain. Getting it out in time is difficult without losing the call, even though I've tried about six different types of clip. And my work trousers don't have pockets, unfortunately. My iPhone lives in a sock on my handbag handle. Fortunately my supervisor is sympathetic and the staff around me don't mind hearing Pavarotti singing 'Nessun Dorma' occasionally. Just have to hope it never rings when the director is making one of his rare appearances to check up on all the staff. :-)

Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

The vibrate on my phone is pretty disruptive when it's anywhere but in my pocket. But it's annoyingly easy to miss when it is in a pocket, especially if I'm wearing something thick like denim jeans. I've taken to putting it in my shirt pocket when I can, as ugly as that is. But I only put it in shirt pockets that will button or snap over it because I don't want it falling out, and not many of my shirts qualify. And of course I wouldn't do it in a business setting. Men can put phones in shirt pockets at work but not women.

I don't buy any trousers without pockets any more. Ever. I have a couple of pairs of workout pants without pockets that I bought when I was desperate for something to exercise in and I hate them. They taught me that I truly cannot live without pockets -- how do you stand it? I even feel handicapped with only two front pockets ... two in front and one back pocket is acceptable but I prefer to have four pockets. My advice to you is to buy new work trousers.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I don't buy any trousers without pockets any more. Ever.
Me, neither. And I do not buy anything represented as a jacket without pockets, either. Without, it is just a stiffish shirt!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Me, neither. And I do not buy anything represented as a jacket without pockets, either. Without, it is just a stiffish shirt!
Indeed, jackets must have pockets and my sweatshirts must have pockets and a hood. Fussy, aren't I?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Like "I want my car to have brakes" fussy?

Sure. Fussy. Uh-huh.

;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Indeed, jackets must have pockets and my sweatshirts must have pockets and a hood. Fussy, aren't I?
I think you make perfect sense! Well, maybe except for the hood — I have trouble with them. They tug on my hair and, worse, dangle over my eyes.

But pockets, indeed.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Franca
Staff

Hm. I dimly recall tugging being a problem on occasion in the past. My current sweatshirt-type thingies are all made of polar fleece which doesn't seem to tug, and I guess the hoods aren't of a size or shape to interfere with my vision. I have a couple of jackets with hoods large enough to obscure my vision if I allow such behavior, but thankfully they don't tug, and I don't have to wear them very often. I still prefer the hood to having to carry an umbrella or wear any sort of rain hat -- for some reason hats seem to funnel the water to places I don't want it to go. The only time I prefer a hat to a hood in the rain is when I'm working around horses, and I've got an Aussie outback hat that does a decent job. It's an oilskin canvas job with a basic "cowboy hat" shape that I can bend pretty much any way I want.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
The only time I prefer a hat to a hood in the rain is when I'm working around horses, and I've got an Aussie outback hat that does a decent job. It's an oilskin canvas job with a basic "cowboy hat" shape that I can bend pretty much any way I want.
And as an Australian, I wear a rabbit fur Akubra around horses, rain or shine. :-)

Umbrellas and horses don't mix. Ever.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

I hate hats — they slither around and threaten to fall off, and rarely keep me dry or cool or whatever it is they are supposed to do.

I love fleece, though, and given your endorsement will try a fleece jacket with a hood next time I see one. I have been avoiding them, figuring they would drive me crazy like the other kinds of hooded jackets.