DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Kindling

Not for the fireplace.

My DH has given me a Kindle for my birthday. (He had to leave on a trip so we celebrated early.)

I believe that in another thread Steve recommended downloading book purchases to a computer and then transfering via USB cable to the Kindle so as to have a backup. Potentially dumb question: Is it possible to go the other way -- to download the book to the Kindle over Whispernet and transfer a backup to the computer, or is it only a one-way street? Using Whispernet allows me to read seamlessly on computer, Kindle, and Droid and I'm not sure if that will still work if I use the Transfer via Computer option when I purchase books. (?)

Any other tips/advice for this newbie from you veteran Kindle users out there?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Not for the fireplace.

My DH has given me a Kindle for my birthday. (He had to leave on a trip so we celebrated early.)

I believe that in another thread Steve recommended downloading book purchases to a computer and then transfering via USB cable to the Kindle so as to have a backup. Potentially dumb question: Is it possible to go the other way -- to download the book to the Kindle over Whispernet and transfer a backup to the computer, or is it only a one-way street? Using Whispernet allows me to read seamlessly on computer, Kindle, and Droid and I'm not sure if that will still work if I use the Transfer via Computer option when I purchase books. (?)

Any other tips/advice for this newbie from you veteran Kindle users out there?
Either way is fine. When you hook up the Kindle to the PC via USB, it appears as another drive. I forget exactly what directory the books appear in but it's fairly obvious once you go poking around. Transfer books from there to the PC or vice versa. You just won't be able to transfer books from one Kindle to another unless it's on your "registered" list.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Excellent -- thanks, Steve! I will be starting with The Hobbit which I've been meaning to reread for decades but at some point I'll want to get some books I haven't already read.

Posting this from the Droid, which is a tad laborious but seems to be working, including the italics and Preview Post. Ah, technology.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Amazing, isn't it? You look just the same through the Droid as you do through the computer!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Congratulations!

Besides what Steve said, my suggestion is to turn off the network (from the Menu) except when you want to use it. That gives you much more useful time between rechargings.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Second that. And then when you turn the network back on, don't panic when it doesn't download your new books right away. It seems to take a while to wake up and connect. YMMV.

In fact, that raises a question ... does anyone know offhand whose cel network Whispernet runs on? The coverage in my house pretty much matches the ATT/Cincinnati Bell wireless coverage: spotty to miserable with intermittent sleet and cursing.

That might explain things.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Yes, I turn the wireless off when unplugged unless I'm actively downloading or want to make sure I'm synchronized with the Droid. It's very cool that I can pick up where I left off from either device. Or my computer, for that matter, though the idea of reading there is unappealing.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

I, too, am curious who the wireless provider is. The Kindle typically has one or two more bars than my Droid.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I, too, am curious who the wireless provider is. The Kindle typically has one or two more bars than my Droid.
Sprint. Amazon calls it Whispernet or something like that, but it is Sprint.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Sprint. It is good here, but you — more than most of us, probably — know how these things go.