DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Home Network

I have my old desktop (XP Pro) is hooked to the Internet via a router/modem. My new laptop (Win 7 Home Premium) is wireless to the same router/modem. I want to network them, and far I can access my desktop from my laptop, but not vice versa.

But before I go any further, I have one basic question. Is this a stupid thing to do. My router has been working as part of my defense against people breaking into my computer via the Internet. Am I taking too great a risk by sharing files via this router?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Assuming the router is NAT-enabled (most are these days, certainly on this side of the pond), you should be quite safe.

Both PCs need to be using the same workgroup (you can set this by right-clicking My Computer), then you run the File And Sharing Wizard to set up the Windows firewall (or your replacement software firewall) and choose which folders you want to share on each computer. You should then be able to see the two PCs in Network Neighborhood. I find Windows works best if you set a network drive letter to the other computer, then I tend to stick a shortcut to the drive on the desktop so I can get at it easily.