DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Expensive tools...-}}

Quote:
kt: Got up at 6 a.m. to be there at 8, without my coffee. Grump.
Indeed! I'd be very grumpy with no coffee...'-}}

Plumber arrived and it turns out that I had indeed fixed the garbage disposal myself--I had considered cancelling the appointment but wasn't sure that the fix I'd done was ok--and it only cost me $80 to find that out...

The plumber did give me the allen wrench one is supposed to use for this sort of thing (I had used another tool that fit) so I've decided to view it as a very expensive allen wrench and I've placed in my tool box in a reverential way...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 06-09-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fix typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
The plumber did give me the allen wrench one is supposed to use for this sort of thing (I had used another tool that fit) so I've decided to view it as a very expensive allen wrench and I've placed in my tool box in a reverential way...'-}}
At eighty bucks, I’d make a royal purple velvet pillow for it!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: At eighty bucks, I’d make a royal purple velvet pillow for it!
ROFL!!! Good idea...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Or this as a suitable storage place

www.pptools.com
and stuff

Last edited by terrie; 06-09-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: fix the link
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Image didn't come up...just the Tripod logo...given the image name, I can just begin to visualize it...'-}}

Later: I figured out a way to get the link and mod'd your post to fix the link..

It's perfection!!! And it's in my fav color too...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 06-09-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
sky4forums

Quote:
I've decided to view it as a very expensive allen wrenchand I've placed in my tool box in a reverential way...'-}}
Most people will tell you to keep that tool handy to the disposal. Like taping it to the disposal, keeping it under the sink or in the kitchen junk door. That way is right there when you need it and not in the bottom of the tool box in the garage (and unlabeled so you can not remember which allen wrench to use). Of course most people may not be as organized as you. -grin-

Last edited by sky4forums; 06-09-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: left out a word
sky4forums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
sky: Most people will tell you to keep that tool handy to the disposal. Like taping it to the disposal, keeping it under the sink or in the kitchen junk door.
While I knew about the reset button, I had never known that there was a hole at the bottom of the disposal so that using the allen wrench you could free up whatever it is that was the problem.

I discovered this online and I didn't have the right size allen wrench but I found that one of the bits in a set I have for my drill fit properly--used it with a screw driver that takes bits but the allen wrench is better.

The problem was that because of my hearing loss, I wasn't sure if the disposal was working properly--perhaps I wasn't hearing bad things as it ran--so I figured that the plumber would know if the sound was "correct" and he said it was.

>> That way is right there when you need it and not in the bottom of the tool box in the garage (and unlabeled so you can not remember which allen wrench to use). Of course most people may not be as organized as you. -grin-

LOL!!! The other allen wrench I have is quite small in comparison to the one the plumber gave me and I've put it in the top removable tray in my tool box which resides in the kitchen since I don't have a garage...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
LoisWakeman
Staff

All this talk of rubbish disposal seems slightly alien to me. All the food waste goes on the compost heap or the bird table or into the pony, or if it's bones, onto the bonfire ; and when we get our rescue battery hens*, some will no doubt find its way into their little beaks!

* My son and I were thinking of names last weekend. We thought of Ever-Ready, Duracell, Hitachi, Panasonic, and Black and Decker
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
lois: All this talk of rubbish disposal seems slightly alien to me. All the food waste goes on the compost heap or the bird table or into the pony, or if it's bones, onto the bonfire ; and when we get our rescue battery hens*, some will no doubt find its way into their little beaks!
Sort of hard to have any of those in a condo complex...'-}}

>>My son and I were thinking of names last weekend. We thought of Ever-Ready, Duracell, Hitachi, Panasonic, and Black and Decker

Great!!! names...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
* My son and I were thinking of names last weekend. We thought of Ever-Ready, Duracell, Hitachi, Panasonic, and Black and Decker
Shouldn't you ask them what they would like to be called?

Not being very bright, all our chickens opted to have the name Henrietta. That meant that if one of them forgot her name she could always ask a friend.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote