DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default O woe is me!

I have to convert an A5 flyer to a 2/3 A4 page ad. No big deal. But all the text is in Souvenir. Every single character. And it's almost all words, with just three small b&w graphics to insert.

This is the second ad for this publication (32 pages, with at least two ads on every page) that uses Souvenir. The other one just had it in Demi for a heading.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. I haven't had to use Souvenir for many years; not since one of my clients changed their logo back in the late nineties.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Anne:

But all the text is in Souvenir

What's wrong with an Edwardian look? Perhaps they're advertising corsets, sit-up-and beg bicycles, or something.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Anne:

But all the text is in Souvenir

What's wrong with an Edwardian look? Perhaps they're advertising corsets, sit-up-and beg bicycles, or something.
I loathe Souvenir with a deep and abiding loathing. The client I had that used Souvenir in their logo also insisted on using it as a text face in their publications.

Edwardian is fine, and suitable in this case. But Souvenir is not.

Ann

Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Anne:

Edwardian is fine, and suitable in this case. But Souvenir is not.

I've got Souvenir BT, and perhaps your client had nothing quite like it too: perhaps, since the client clearly wanted that sort of thing (why, I cannot imagine), you might have suggested a typeface that was more suitable in your opinion.

Personally, I can't stand that sort that looks as if it is bowed under a great weight, but no doubt in Benton's day it was regarded as modern.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I've got Souvenir BT, and perhaps your client had nothing quite like it too: perhaps, since the client clearly wanted that sort of thing (why, I cannot imagine), you might have suggested a typeface that was more suitable in your opinion.

Personally, I can't stand that sort that looks as if it is bowed under a great weight, but no doubt in Benton's day it was regarded as modern.
This is a newsletter, and I rarely get to talk to the advertisers. I just get the copy from the publisher (my client), who tells me to 'set it'. There's really no case in this instance for me to object to his client's taste in typefaces. ;-)

Ann

Old 05-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Franca
Staff

Souvenir? You poor dear! (Just seizing the opportunity to combine sympathy with rhyme.)

OK, I"ll admit it now because this was back in 1980 when I was young and didn't know any better - I set my first business card in Souvenir. I was breeding and showing Abyssinian cats at the time and compared to what some of the other folks used on their business cards mine was the epitome of good taste. I always felt like a bit of an oddball at the shows because I refused to buy into the kitschy cuteness and elaborate excess. I mean, you're supposed to want people to look at the cats, right?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Souvenir? You poor dear! (Just seizing the opportunity to combine sympathy with rhyme.)

OK, I"ll admit it now because this was back in 1980 when I was young and didn't know any better - I set my first business card in Souvenir. I was breeding and showing Abyssinian cats at the time and compared to what some of the other folks used on their business cards mine was the epitome of good taste. I always felt like a bit of an oddball at the shows because I refused to buy into the kitschy cuteness and elaborate excess. I mean, you're supposed to want people to look at the cats, right?
Oh, you're forgiven. And there wouldn't have been much text anyway, on a business card.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
djb

Haven't you heard? Souvenir is the new Helvetica!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
Haven't you heard? Souvenir is the new Helvetica!
The only thing I have against Helvetica is its ubiquitousness. If you're not having a lend of me, then I think I'll hibernate until the fad passes.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
djb

Default A lend of me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
If you're not having a lend of me
I don't know the phrase... Is it something like "Go on, pull the other one. It's got bells on"... ?

If so, then yes... I'm having a lend of you.

;-*
djb is offline   Reply With Quote