DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Order your Apple iPad now

Apple has announced that the wi-fi versions of its new iPad will appear in U.S. stores on April 3 (the models with 3G/wireless will ship in late April). All the models will be available in Europe, U.K., and Australia at the end of the month).

Americans can pre-order either type of iPad from the on-line store now.

U.S. costs begin at $500 (for the wi-fi 16GB) and go up with capacity, topping out at $830 for the version with 3G and 64GB. International costs will be announced sometime in April.

For details, including information on functions, apps, battery life, and much, much more at the link above.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Benwiggy

As with all Apple products, never by 1st generation.

I really think that the iPad has massive potential, but if I were to buy one, it would be in a year or two's time.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
As with all Apple products, never by 1st generation.

I really think that the iPad has massive potential, but if I were to buy one, it would be in a year or two's time.
I generally follow the same rule, and when I haven’t, I do sometimes regret it. But then there was the first 128K Mac — no regrets there.

As for the potential of the iPad, I’m not sure. As Mike points out, it is an awkward in-between size; still not quite page-size, but too big to stick in any sort of pocket. In fact, how do you store it? Oh, I suppose there will be legions of clever envelope-makers.

If it had appeared before the Kindle, I might have been tempted, but at this point? Guess we will wait and see.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Looks like the market will soon be flooded with tablet type devices. Sounds like a lot were being touted at CeBIT. Although not quite the real thing yet, this $95 tablet looks to be just about pocket sized.

Here in the UK we still wait to see what price premium will be applied to iPad. I have heard that entry level will be around £395 (roughly) $600 but with 3G it will be much closer to £500. Add in a £15/month 3G contract and it starts to look somewhat expensive!

I'll not be buying one this year...

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
Benwiggy

Considering the power of potential of most laptops these days, most people who surf the web, send a few emails and type up a few text documents are using massively over-powered machines.

I can see the iPad being ideal for students or researchers: use online resources, refer to PDF documentation; type up reports of your findings; email them in.
Omni Products is making iPad versions of its software, which include OmniGraffle (a bit like MS Visio) and OmniOutliner for hierarchical text organisation. Apple are making versions of iWork (Word processor, spreadsheet, slide-maker).
This isn't just a passive e-reader.

I'm not sure I'd want a phone contract on it either, but if it's got WiFi, then that's fine.

The initial iPhone got lots of stick when it first came out for lacking features, but the subsequent models have got better and better, and they're selling like hotcakes.

There's a famous review of the iPod, when it first came out in 2001:
"No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame."
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

I'm getting really enthusiastic about my iPod Touch. It's filling up with audio books that I can listen to on long car journeys and eBooks that I can read in bed. I can use it to listen to the radio, watch TV, download newspapers and sort out email wherever I can find a WiFi connection.

It will probably do other things as well but I've only had it for a few days so far.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
donmcc

Why? Have you been having some problems with your Newton lately?
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Well, having read the reviews of the iPad I've just bought an iPod Touch. Seems to me that the iPad is rather like an iPod that's grown too big to fit in the pocket.

I may change my mind in time to come but it seems to me that the iPad has neither the pocketable convenience of an iPod nor the power of a laptop. At present I can't really see why I want one.

However, maybe when everyone else is using one I'll see the error of my ways...

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
However, maybe when everyone else is using one I'll see the error of my ways...
Makes sense to me — only without regret.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
BobRoosth

It seems to me to be large enough to be awkward to hold in one hand and very easy to drop.... As for using it as an eReader, I suppose that will depend largely on the quality of the display. Somehow I doubt it has enough PPI for really good text rendering. OTOH, if one is happy reading text on an iPod/iTocuh, it will be a major step up.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote