DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Happy [20th] birthday to us!

December 12, 2009 marks our 20th anniversary. Thom Hartmann, Brad Walrod, and another bunch of us launched the forum on CompuServe in 1989. I am pretty sure we were the first on-line DTP group.

We are trying to find old members and persuade them to drop by so we can reminisce about old days like a bunch of old codgers.

The “wars”: PageMaker v Quark (which morphed into Quark v InDesign); Adobe PostScript fonts v Apple/Microsoft TrueType; fonts in general; Mac v Windows, especially after Windows 3 and its bundled TT fonts. There were tussles involving Ready, Set, Go! and Ventura Publisher (both of them good software hampered by lousy karma).

Fontographer and other font editors, leading up to FontLab, then scads of font-modification tools. Font formats: Type 3 (rather quickly dispatched), Type 1; TrueType; now OpenType; with web fonts looming.

We also noted (lived through) the development of desktop scanners (remember when scanning in color required three passes, with filters)? The ascendancy of Adobe in general, and Photoshop in particular? The confusing genesis of Acrobat (which began life as Carousel, until Kodak objected, in defense of its slide holder). And much more.

Through it all we had fantastic members and generally very good times. We (and much of CompuServe) were the preserve of high-tech knowledge, no matter how rapidly it evolved.

What’s your DTP Forum story?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I signed up for Compuserve in ummm...I think it was about 1991 or so when I got my first modem which took me an entire weekend to get working. I signed up for both AOL and Compuserve and after stumbling across the Compuserve Horses forum and comparing the Compuserve's forum software to AOL's forum software, it was no contest and I dropped my AOL subscription.

It was through a discussion on the Horses forum on the dearth of good equine clipart that a friend of mine and I drew our own equine clipart which I postal mailed to a friend on the Horses forum who lived in Texas. She scanned our drawings and then she postal mailed me a disk with the scans--I didn't own a scanner at the time. Somewhere along the line I had acquired Corel Draw 3 and I used it--not really having a clue about what I was doing--to tweak the scanned images into two clipart packages which we sold to other horse people.

Wanting to know more about imaging, I wandered unknowingly into the Corel and Adobe forums and later into the DTP forum where I found incredibly helpful people and started on that classic slippery slope of upgrading from Win3.1 to Win95 (kicking and screaming all the way...'-}}), acquiring Photoshop 4, my first scanner, my first graphics tablet, my first Epson inkjet and of course newer and more powerful computer systems, hardware and software along the way.

It wouldn't have been possible without the help and friendship of people like Bruce Fraser (so generous with his time and expertise), Jim Eaves (who could make you laugh more than Jim?), Kathleen and Ann who have taught me much about layout and design and all the others who have shared not only their knowledge but their friendship--all without ever meeting face to face...

Happy Birthday!!! to us...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
JVegVT

I joined in early 1993 (March, I think) when I got my first modem--2400 bps, I think. Nearly everything I know about type, design, scanning, photo editing, etc., etc., I learned on this forum.

I'm pretty much retired now but I still have my personal projects and am continuing to learn. Now that I use Linux most of the time, I have a whole new learning curve with the Gimp, Scribus, and Inkscape. I'm using Inkscape to create our 2009 holiday cards and really loving it. I like it more than other vector graphics programs I've used, such as CorelDraw, FreeHand, and a couple of minor players. Inkscape has a Windows version, too, possibly a Mac version. I installed the Windows version on my Windows 7 computer but I haven't used it much. My experience is with the Linux version.

The people on this forum have always been great and I hope some of the old-timers will show up and join again. I have learned so much from them and our present members. Moving from CompuServe was a good move, I think, because now that Time-Warner has ditched AOL, the future of CompuServe (and AOL) is cloudy. Well, the future of CompuServe has been cloudy for a long time and it's still here, so who knows? But with this forum being independent, maybe we have a better chance of surviving. So here's a big thanks to KT, Ann, and others who set this forum up and are keeping it going.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.

Someone I knew well from another online place has been very active in DTP for a long time. I admired that person's work, so I joined the forum. Not being active in the field, I only checked in when (1) I had a problem to solve and I thought the folks in the forum might be able to help, or (2) someone alerted me to an interesting thread.

Separately, I managed CompuServe's Internet Publishing Forum. When CompuServe (AOL, actually) had one of its consolidation phases and eliminated the forum, many of its regulars moved over to DTP, where many are regular participants today.

These days, other pursuits take a lot of my time, but I always will have a special place in my heart for DTP.
mksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
What’s your DTP Forum story?
I wouldn't be artworking today if it weren't for the patience and friendliness of the DTP forum members when I found them on Compuserve.

I knew nothing at all about DTP then, so when a client bought me CorelDraw so I could fix his artwork and get it in a form that the printers wanted (bleed - what's that?) I didn't know where to start. After I found the forum though, I was happy to sit up for hours night after night learning the tools of the trade -- and found I really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much, Kathleen -- you and the others xx

Last edited by Robin Springall; 12-14-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
nick

Kathleen,

Time sure flys... not ever big on DTP, but youse guys made it seem easy. Personally I stilll like a cast iron lightbox and a good scalpel in my hands! But reality calls and Quark, PhotoShop and my new toy InkScape call and Blogger seems to be my home away from home.

Congrats on a great joint!
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Aaah: the days of black and red biros* taped together to correct galleys, the heady smell of Cow Gum** on one's plastic spreader for real cut and paste, and computers were for real - huge orange and grey cabinets with flashing lights on the front, whirring tape drives, and blissfully cool air-conditioning - no wonder the operators were so popular in hot weather!

* or green and black in the case of a colour-blind colleague

** which another colleague wouldn't use "because he was a vegetarian"!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Aaah: the days of black and red biros* taped together to correct galleys, the heady smell of Cow Gum** on one's plastic spreader for real cut and paste, and computers were for real - huge orange and grey cabinets with flashing lights on the front, whirring tape drives, and blissfully cool air-conditioning - no wonder the operators were so popular in hot weather!

* or green and black in the case of a colour-blind colleague

** which another colleague wouldn't use "because he was a vegetarian"!
Lois,

Remember the divisions? Typesetters, Film, Quality Control (and billing) and of course, the Typositor guy and one cast iron lightbox to rule them all. I still have my scalpel. <g>

And that A/C was no lie. I used to look out over 47th St (off Mad) and watch people sweat.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
… the Typositor guy?
I was the Typositor, well, gal, for a year or so. I loved that thing. Even made my own 2-inch filmstrips of historic flowers on my stat machine, and felt SO high-tech about that.

Yeah, right.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I was the Typositor, well, gal, for a year or so. I loved that thing. Even made my own 2-inch filmstrips of historic flowers on my stat machine, and felt SO high-tech about that.

Yeah, right.
Kathleen,

High-Tech? Well my typositor guy was named Herb, probably named after his favorite high-ah-tech flower

<g>

One of the best in the biz and oh so mellow! <g>