DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Favorite freebies?

Thanks to Steve Rindsberg's recommendation I have downloaded ImgBurn, a free "lightweight" CD/DVD burning app that he says has been very reliable. I have been wanting to dump Roxio for some time now and this looks like just the ticket.

Any other favorite free software downloads?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: Any other favorite free software downloads?
Yes...RevoUninstaller...very nifty free (Windows-based) uninstaller tool which will in addition to uninstalling the obvious bits and pieces of software, will also clean out the Registry of associated bits and pieces--this is controled via an option when doing the uninstall and user choice (based on a display of the Registry keys)...

And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is antispyware software. In addition to it allow for both deep and quick scans, what I particularly like about it is that when you click on the Update tab and chose to update the antispyware files, if the software has been updated, it will download and install the software update--this makes it particularly useful for people who find software installs difficult...'-}}

I've been using both for a number of months and I'm quite pleased with them...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
BobRoosth

Agreed on Malwarebytes. I only use it on systems that seem to have a problem, but it is invaluable there. Ditto for SuperAntiSpyware (which is not as cheesy as the name implies). One other that helped recently: Avast anti-malware. It does a boot-time scan that found and killed some rootkits that evaded other scanners.

For relatively small backup: Mozy.com/home. Two gb for free.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
CWM480

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Yes...RevoUninstaller...very nifty free (Windows-based) uninstaller tool which will in addition to uninstalling the obvious bits and pieces of software, will also clean out the Registry of associated bits and pieces--this is controled via an option when doing the uninstall and user choice (based on a display of the Registry keys)...

And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is antispyware software. In addition to it allow for both deep and quick scans, what I particularly like about it is that when you click on the Update tab and chose to update the antispyware files, if the software has been updated, it will download and install the software update--this makes it particularly useful for people who find software installs difficult...'-}}

I've been using both for a number of months and I'm quite pleased with them...

Terrie

HI ALL, I am new here

I dont know TERRIE... I heard that using such devices to " CLEAN YOUR REGISTRY OUT" after removing programs can be Dangerous. I use to run REGSCRUBXP and I know I use to format all the time and then I was told that just letting manage it because it somewhat manages the registry on its own...

BTW.. Is this TERRIE from CS Classic that uses Eudora... It sure sounds like her if so * WAVES* ^_^ ??????

--- Christopher
CWM480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
christopher: I heard that using such devices to " CLEAN YOUR REGISTRY OUT" after removing programs can be Dangerous.
Anything that mucks with the Registry can be dangerous and should always be used with a great deal of caution.

That said, RevoUninstaller allows the user to set their level of expertise and while I choose "advanced" because I'm comfortable with working with the Registry, I would not recommend that level for for everyone. RevoUninstaller is very good at marking the specific Registry entries that are associated with the particular software being uninstalled displaying the entries and allowing you, the user, to choose which ones you want to delete.

>>BTW.. Is this TERRIE from CS Classic that uses Eudora...

Yes...it is...welcome to the forum...

Terrie
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
CWM480

Quote:
>>BTW.. Is this TERRIE from CS Classic that uses Eudora...

Yes...it is...welcome to the forum...

Terrie
* Waves * Thanks

Hmm Interesting... sounds very appealing I am just scared to try it lol I dont want to MUCK my computer up haha

Btw, very weird I never got a response at my email address that someone has replied to my message. I just so happen to stop by and saw I had new replies.. Hmm.. Wonder what AOL is doing... I am subscribed so if anyone replies to me I should get it but I haven't

MY BLOG

Last edited by Franca; 12-09-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Fixed a broken quote. :)
CWM480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Any other favorite free software downloads?
Sure. My whole operating system! (VectorLinux 6) The system comes with loads of free software. K3B is my favorite app for burning CDs/DVDs. It would be worth booting into Linux just to use it. Of course, with me it's the opposite--I use Linux most of the time and would have to boot into Windows if K3B were a Windows app.

In the Windows world, Irfanview is hard to beat. My life would be poorer without Opera. I also like Picasa for organizing photos and light editing. The new face recognition feature works a treat, to my surprise. I realize none of these are secrets, but they are favorite free downloads.

In Linux, Irfanview works well under Wine, the Windows compatibility application, as does Picasa. Opera has a native Linux version.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

IrfanView is probably my all-time favorite freebie.

I imagine there are many other good free text editors but Super NoteTab Light is the one I settled on years ago and it still suits my needs. It handles large text files very well and has some nifty goodies in its Clipbook libraries, along with many other features most of which I've never gotten around to exploring.

I also still use UK's Kalendar program every day.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Another freebie that I use and have been very pleased with is Avira Antivirus because I got tired of paying year after year for a/v software. Avira does not attach any ads to your email--unlike other free a/v software--but will display an ad on your desktop once a day--I have the software set to automatically download the a/v signature files in the middle of the night (I leave my system on all the time) so that when I clear my screen saver in the morning, the ad is displayed on my screen and I just "ok" it away...no other ads display each day...

And of course, I use the free version of ZoneAlarm for my firewall--the link is to the cnet download page...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-19-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fix ZA link to point to the free version
Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

I guess I wasn't aware that there still was a free version of ZoneAlarm. I ditched the paid version when it became far too invasive and started doing some scary things to our systems. Am now just using the Windows firewall. Hope it's sufficient.... It has stomped on only one online app so far that I know of. I haven't bothered to look into how to fix that because it's an app I can live without. Perhaps the free version of ZA is sleeker and more well-behaved than the Pro version, but as a loyal ZA customer from when it first appeared, I felt abused by what it became and don't plan on giving it another chance, at least not on my desktop. Might reconsider on the laptops one day but would sure prefer to use something else.