DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Cat5/5e = Cat6?

My bits and pieces for my attempt at powerline networking have arrived and the supplied ethernet cables are Cat5 and are too short (3') so I'm going to buy at least one longer cable.

The closest place to me locally is Best Buy and in searching their website, they only list Cat6 cables which from browsing around wikipedia, it appears that Cat6 is compatible with Cat5/5e.

Are Cat6 cables ok to use when the supplied cables are Cat5?

Is there any sort of limitation on cable length? I think that a 7' cable will be long enough...

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

I have 20 metre run of Cat5 which works just fine. Cat6 apparently is backwards compatible & is able to support gigabit connections.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kelvyn: I have 20 metre run of Cat5 which works just fine. Cat6 apparently is backwards compatible & is able to support gigabit connections.
Thanks! I'll let you know if I have problems with the Cat6 cable.

I had posted at dslreports.com with questions about setting my dsl modem to bridge mode so I could use a router and happened to mention that I was only doing this because I needed an extra port (for my new special phone) and someone said that all I really needed was an ethernet switch.

I was able to find one for just under US$12 (shipping included) and it arrived yesterday. I installed it today and it's working just fine so far. I'm going to let it run overnight to make sure I don't have any problems with it and then install my new phone tomorrow.

If that works ok, then I will be trying to see if the powerline networking will work in my condo--we have metal wall studs rather than wood so I'm not sure if this will work--and I need a longer cable to use the phone in my living room...

Terrie
Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> If that works ok, then I will be trying to see if the powerline networking will work in my condo--we have metal wall studs rather than wood so I'm not sure if this will work--and I need a longer cable to use the phone in my living room...

It's POWERLINE networking. The powerlines go through holes in the studs and don't much care what the holes are drilled in; the powerline networking goes through the wiring and doesnt' care a fig about the holes the wiring runs through.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: It's POWERLINE networking. The powerlines go through holes in the studs and don't much care what the holes are drilled in; the powerline networking goes through the wiring and doesnt' care a fig about the holes the wiring runs through.
Well...I didn't know if the metal wall studs might interfere (somehow automagically...'-}}) with the networking process.

I can report (see my new thread) that it works a treat--as long as you don't plug the ethernet cable into the port right next to the port used by the modem on an ethernet switch...'-}}

I am probably going to pick up 2 Cat6 cables--I need at least one longer cable--to use with the powerline networking units but at this point, the system worked properly with the 2 Cat5 cables...

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Well...I didn't know if the metal wall studs might interfere (somehow automagically...'-}}) with the networking process.

I can report (see my new thread) that it works a treat--as long as you don't plug the ethernet cable into the port right next to the port used by the modem on an ethernet switch...'-}}

I am probably going to pick up 2 Cat6 cables--I need at least one longer cable--to use with the powerline networking units but at this point, the system worked properly with the 2 Cat5 cables...

Thanks...

Terrie
Just saw the other thread. I'd doublecheck that the cable isn't a crossover one (but if moving it to another port solves the problem, that seems unlikely).

And I don't know that I'd bother with Cat6 just yet. You know you're not going to get gigabit performance out of the cable/FiOS modem or the powerline network segment so there's no real use to putting in a much bigger pipe (the cable) to handle the (relative) trickle of data that Cat5 should be able to handle w/o straining.

If you're connecting two gigabit network card equipped PCs through a gigabit switch and sharing data between them ... that's probably worth bumping to Cat6.

I just bought a few new Cat6-ers for just this reason. My longer cables are old Cat5s and it seems that the PCs that use them can't trade data with the server as fast as other PCs that are on shorter/newer cables (probably Cat6, reminder to self: check that).

Ask me in a day or so how it went: I got a couple of 25ft jobs from Cables Unlimited (found them on Amazon). Cat6, 9 bucks each.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'd doublecheck that the cable isn't a crossover one (but if moving it to another port solves the problem, that seems unlikely).
I don't think it is because this was the cable that came with the PNU and it says Cat5 on it--would a cross-over cable have that printed on it?

>>And I don't know that I'd bother with Cat6 just yet.

When I first went online looking for cables at local places, Cat6 cable was the only type available which led me to investigate what Cat6 was. When I checked Staples online, I found that my local store has both Cat5 and Cat6 in stock and they are pretty much the same price. Cat6 is supposed to be better at blocking interference so I thought since I need a longer cable for the living room that I'd just get the Cat6 but I'll see what's what when I go to Staples tomorrow...

>>If you're connecting two gigabit network card equipped PCs through a gigabit switch and sharing data between them ... that's probably worth bumping to Cat6.

Got it...

>>Ask me in a day or so how it went: I got a couple of 25ft jobs from Cables Unlimited (found them on Amazon). Cat6, 9 bucks each.

Good price! Is that just the cabling or do they have the connectors too? Maybe I should just order some online rather than buying them locally...hmmm...I guess I'll see what Staples has and then decide...

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If Cat6 costs no more than Cat5, I can't think of any reason to go with Cat5.

>>Ask me in a day or so how it went: I got a couple of 25ft jobs from Cables Unlimited (found them on Amazon). Cat6, 9 bucks each.

>> Good price! Is that just the cabling or do they have the connectors too? Maybe I should just order some online rather than buying them locally...hmmm...I guess I'll see what Staples has and then decide...

That's a fully made-up 25ft cable, ready to plug 'n pray. And the prayers worked ... I plugged a few hours ago and all seems well. I hate to think what Staples is gonna gouge .... er ... charge you for something like that. If you come back muttering about "Raples" we'll know, I guess.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: That's a fully made-up 25ft cable, ready to plug 'n pray. And the prayers worked ... I plugged a few hours ago and all seems well.
YAY!!!

>>I hate to think what Staples is gonna gouge .... er ... charge you for something like that. If you come back muttering about "Raples" we'll know, I guess.

ROFL!!! After you mentioned the price for the 25footer, I went online and browsed around and ordered 2 CAT6 cables (3' and 10') from newegg for just under $12 so even with newegg's ridiculous shipping charge of $8-ish, it was still cheaper than Staples (~$20 for one cable) so thanks for mentioning it. I tried amazon.com but their search process was sooooo annoying that I gave up on ordering from them...

I prefer Staples over Office Depot after the fiasco with trying to buy an adjustable height table from Office Depot--I refuse to buy anything from them ever again...'-}}

Terrie

PS...I am soooo dumb!!! I have just discovered that I should have ordered the 14' cable not the 10' cable because I already have a 10' cable! Duh!!! Oh well...it is long enough but just...they really shouldn't let me out without a keeper...'-}}

Last edited by terrie; 10-19-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

New Egg = Good Eggs. I like them too.

www.pptools.com
and stuff