DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
qcards

Default software for printing flash cards

Hello,

I need to format vocabulary flash cards to send to a printer and would like advice about what software to purchase. The project needs to be submitted as a 10 by 10 array on a page (100 cards per), separate for card front and back, which will then be dye cut and collated. It's mostly text, except for one image on the side of each card front (Greek column). It's a relatively simple project and I do not want to purchase expensive software if a less costly one will do. I'm a novice and want something that's relatively user friendly. Most printers I've contacted prefer PDF files. Any suggestions are welcome.

Mike
qcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Hi Mike...

Welcome to the forum...

A few questions...

1. Which software platforme--pc, mac, linux?

2. Do you currently own layout software--InDesign, Quark, etc.?

3. What sort of wordprocessing software do you have?

4. When you say "page" what size were you thinking of?

There are lots of options for creating pdfs so give us an idea of what what sort of system and software you have and we should be able to give you some suggestions...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
qcards

Hi Terrie,

I had this done professionally the first time using Quark. I now want to do it myself but I do not do IT work or publishing as a profession and own only Wordperfect 10 and Microsoft Word. The page is approximately 25" by 35" when printed (cards are 2.5 X 3.5 ", which the printer then cuts and collates. I have a pc but when I submit it, it will be open on a Mac version of the software. My understanding is that this should not be a problem as long as I use the correct fonts.

Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I don't know if I'm offering the best way, but in a word processor you could use its label feature, set up the size of the page, and the labels on the page, leaving whatever extra room is needed around the edges of the page for the printer. Then you would enter the text for each card, probably centered on the "label." Then save this to PDF. And perhaps you could make one of these to print the image on the other side.

But you would have to ask the printer if he/she can work from this. Maybe send a sample there and ask.

Hmmm. Are these new cards? If not, couldn't you use the Quark files.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
qcards

Actually, it's a new format for cards I've been selling since 1998. They were originially submitted in Wordperfect and then reformatted in 2004 using Quark. I'll give the label feature a try - will call the printer on Monday. Thank you very much for your ideas.

Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: own only Wordperfect 10 and Microsoft Word. The page is approximately 25" by 35" when printed (cards are 2.5 X 3.5 ", which the printer then cuts and collates.
Ok...hmmm...I wonder--as Andrew suggests--if you might be able to create a custom label page.

I lean towards WordPerfect myself (version 8) and I just tried to create a custom page size of 25"x35" and it didn't like that 35" cutting to 27.306" but I think that's a limitation on my particular system--WinXP/SP2 with an HP 2200D printer set as my default printer.

Is the paper size fixed--could you go with a smaller sheet size?

In any case, you'd need to figure out your margins--I've attached a screen shot of the edit screen for a label in WordPerfect8 so you can see if WP10 has the same sort of options for creating/modifying the label settings. My guess is that you'd have to start from scratch with the label settings because most of them are based on a standard letter size page.

Your current card size is almost standard business card size--2 x 3.5". Do the cards have to be 2.5 x 3.5" because I'm thinking that if you used a more standard size--unless this is standard for flash cards?--that there might be more options available?

>>I have a pc but when I submit it, it will be open on a Mac version of the software. My understanding is that this should not be a problem as long as I use the correct fonts.

Life will become much easier if you create a pdf of your final data. I do this myself from WordPerfect by printing to my Distllier printer instance and doing a printe to file--my version of Distiller is old and came with Pagemaker6.5 so you'd need to get Acrobat or one of the other pdf creation applications that are available.

I think the first thing you need to do is to see if WordPerfect 10 will allow you to create a custom page the size you need. If it doesn't, then you need to find out if your printer can do this using a smaller sheet/page size.

Terrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp8label.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1526  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
qcards

The cards are 2.5 X 3.5 because that's poker card size, which most of the printers I've contacted are set up for. A smaller size puts too much of a squeeze on the text and poker card size is cheapest to print. It sounds like what I should do first is play with WP10 for a bit before looking to other software.. Thanks for your advice.

MIke
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
qcards: I'll give the label feature a try - will call the printer on Monday. Thank you very much for your ideas.
You're welcome...I hope that it proves to be a useful approach...

>>The cards are 2.5 X 3.5 because that's poker card size, which most of the printers I've contacted are set up for. A smaller size puts too much of a squeeze on the text and poker card size is cheapest to print.

Ahhhh...ok...I understand now...makes sense--easier to hold 'em (and fold 'em)...'-}}

>>It sounds like what I should do first is play with WP10 for a bit before looking to other software..

Yes...I was thinking about this last night and I was wondering if you might be able to create a new label definition in WP for letter size sheets and then use something to gang them up on the 25x35" paper size (or whatever sheet size the printer would use) and create a pdf of the larger sheet? I took a quick look in WP8 at the predefined labels that are currently listed (Format menu > Labels) and I figured last night that you could get 6 3.5 x 2.5" lables on a letter sized sheet so I went looking in WP8's label list and I found the following:

Avery 5383, 5390 and 5391 - Name Tag: 3.5 x 2.17"
Avery C7-10C - Name Badge: 3.75 x2.5"

I figured you could edit one of these definitions to match your 3.5 x 2.5" size because these all have 6 labels per letter size sheet. I did this myself once of a 3rd party label that was close in size to Avery's 6490 editing the original to suit my 3rd party label size and then saving it with a new name and it works perfectly. You might ask the printer you are using too because perhaps they'd have some suggestions for you...

>>Thanks for your advice.

You're welcome...keep us posted on how it's going...I'm very curious.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Minor epiphany ...

If you give the printer a PDF with each page sized to your card size, they can probably gang them up to print together on a single sheet. There's software that'll do this automatically; they probably have it already.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If you give the printer a PDF with each page sized to your card size, they can probably gang them up to print together on a single sheet. There's software that'll do this automatically; they probably have it already.
What a good idea! I remembering having that flit through my mind but got sidetracked by making it more complicated than it needed to be...'-}}

Terrie