DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
klok

Default Repeat last session

Again I'm thinking of saving some time.
Sometimes I have to create about 30 pdf-s per day for clients to see the layout of documents that will be put on films from InDesign. It is a delightfull procedure of opening files / printing them to PDF-s everytime with same settings. But every time I must check all posible settings, to make sure to get the right ones.
So, my questione is:
Is there a way to create a PDF with same settings as previus one had(qestionmark! / still having some problems with english keybord )
klok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

What are you using to create the PDFs? If you are using InDesign you can save the settings via File > PDF Export Presets > Define which will allow you to set up your options and then save it with whatever name you'd like. Then, to use one of your predefined set of settings File > PDF Export Presets and select whichever one you might want by name...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

If you're using Distiller you can create a drop folder - just print to that folder and Distiller automatically converts the file to pdf. The settings are a property of the drop folder so it's possible to have different drop folders for different types of job.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
klok

Terrie, your version works. Thank you werry much!

Mike, about distiller... I use distiller to converte my postcript files to pdf-s. I really don't no nothing else obout this program excepte that it makes different qualitie pdf-s by double clicking on postcrips.
klok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
klok: Terrie, your version works. Thank you werry much!
Oh yay!!! I'm so glad that was useful...

I have a very old version of Distiller (version 5) that came with Pagemaker (version 7 I think) which could be installed independently so I have it installed even though I don't have Pagemaker installed. I use it to create pdf's from other software (like my wordprocessing software WordPerfect version 8) by "printing" to the Distiller printer instance using the "print to file" option (I enter a filename with a ".ps"...for example: mypdffile.ps) and then open the Distiller software directing it to the location of my .ps file and it creates the pdf. The Distiller software allows me to select saved job options and/or create new ones as needed.

This is separate from the pdf creation done from within InDesign and I believe that InDesign is using it's own (internal) distiller when you create pdfs using InDesign.

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 09-18-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add more info
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote