DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
wexfordpress

Default Open Source publishing software

It is possible to run an entire publishing operation using only Open source software. I do just that. My Operating System is Linux Slackware. My prime text layout software is TeX, specifically the pdftex variant. For image manipulation I have Gimp. To translate material from format to format I use Ghostscript utilities, PSutils, and most recently IMageMagick. For cover creation I find Scribus a very able tool. I have others avialable such as Inkscape (like Illustrator) but haven't had time to learn them. I do indexing using a combination of tools centered around the Makeindex program included with the Tex suite. I edit text files, including TeX native files, with the powerful editor Vim, descendent of the orginal VI.

The only paid for publishing software I use is Mup, a shareware music typesetting program.

Many don't realize that Unix, the grandfather of Linux, was heavily developed as a Desktop Publishing System in its earliest days. The secret of *nix DTP is the use of a plain text file for all programs. The venerable text processing tools of Unix can still rival its comercial rivals for flexibility and ease of use.

I never pay an upgrade fee, or worry about a license key.

John Culleton
Wexford Press
wexfordpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexfordpress View Post
It is possible to run an entire publishing operation using only Open source software. I do just that.
Thanks for posting that - great story!

Do you have a more detailed write-up on a website or blog? I'd be interested, and I'm sure many others would be.

Quote:
Many don't realize that Unix, the grandfather of Linux, was heavily developed as a Desktop Publishing System in its earliest days. The secret of *nix DTP is the use of a plain text file for all programs.
Actually, the "secret" of *nix is plain text files for all programs and - especially - for program-to-program communication. And everything is a file.

I have never used TeX, but have recently started using Inkscape, and I love it. It's powerful (in my not-so-professional eyes, anyway), and easy to learn and use. And of course it keeps getting better.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
imatt

I tried Scribus a couple of times. Actually one was as part of a university project looking at DTP and cmparing the different DTP progs available. I am sorry to say I founf Scribus hard work. Too used to InDesign I guess....
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
wexfordpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatt View Post
I tried Scribus a couple of times. Actually one was as part of a university project looking at DTP and cmparing the different DTP progs available. I am sorry to say I founf Scribus hard work. Too used to InDesign I guess....
Scribus is excellent at some things and poor at others. I use it for book covers
where it is very efficient. I don't use it for text heavy book interiors where it lags behind TeX badly. What kinds of applications did you use Scribus on?

John Culleton
wexfordpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
imatt

I used it along with INDesign, Quark, PM, Publisher etc to create a simple test peice. A flyer with a photo, txt, graphic and so on. Don't get me wrong, Scribus produced the test piece okay. It was just difficult for me to get to grips with in some areas.

Perhaps if I had the time and inclination to really test it over a few of weeks, I'd change my mind....
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexfordpress View Post
The only paid for publishing software I use is Mup, a shareware music typesetting program.
Computer Music engraving is about the hardest graphical task there is. The leading exponent of notation algorithms, Donald Byrd, has demonstrated that fully automated music notation is generally impossible, without human-level artificial intelligence.

I use Finale, which is for Mac or Windows - though some have got it to run using WINE on Linux. It's the professional level engraving program, akin to InDesign. Sibelius, the other contender, is considered by some to be the "Word" of music notation. It's far easier to use, does a lot for you without asking, but does not have the flexibility or control of Finale.

I'm surprised you paid for Mup. There is a free Unix notation package called Lilypond, (also another called abc..?). It does have problems with some aspects of notation, and elements cannot be adjusted - though I imagine Mup would be no better nor worse.

Like the setting of moveable type, "old school" music engraving was a highly skilled craft, with 9 years' apprenticeship! A great deal of that knowledge and skill set has been lost, as people assume that the computer will do it all for them. Some of the scores coming from OUP now would make an old engraver apoplectic!

Slightly more on track, my father typesets books using only his own PostScript algorithms in a text editor. Hyphenation, headers, pagination, footnotes, and placed images are all made with no DTP software at all!
http://www.cappella.demon.co.uk/psfiles/pracpost.html
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
… my father typesets books using only his own PostScript algorithms in a text editor. Hyphenation, headers, pagination, footnotes, and placed images are all made with no DTP software at all!
A long-time forum member sets type in PostScript — mostly directories rather than books.

His business card from 1986 or so (which I still have somewhere) was set purely in PostScript, and had some features then impossible to achieve with PageMaker, which was the popular layout app of the time (not that it took much to outshine PM 1).

Very interesting comments about digital music engraving — thanks.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for the link ... I've just had a quick look at pracpost.pdf and have put it aside for when I've time to give it the time it deserves. Very nice work.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote