DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default Office 2007 SP2 released

Office 2007 users might like to know that MS has released Service Pack 2 for Office 2007.
(Office 2007 non-users, Office non-users, Office-haters ... why are you *reading* this?)

I've added some links to it here:

Office 2007 Service Packs
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00914.htm

My main interest in Office is PowerPoint; this SP offers several welcome fixes.

It's probably worth watching the Office forums/newsgroups for a while to see if it's a good fit for you or not.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:
This was forecast for the end of April in Office Watch, but it's not clear to me that this is being in the monthly Windows/Office/etc. fix.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:
This was forecast for the end of April in Office Watch, but it's not clear to me that this is being in the monthly Windows/Office/etc. fix.
Michael,

I don't quite follow that.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:
Quote:
I don't quite follow that
That's probably because I left out the word 'included': it's not clear to me that this is being included in the monthly Windows/Office/etc. fix. As I gather you are not a fan of automatic updates, you may also not be aware that Microsoft sends them out on the second Tuesday of every calendar month, though it's usually Thursday when I get them—perhaps I'll get SP2 tomorrow: but the elderly are so impatient.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:
That's probably because I left out the word 'included': it's not clear to me that this is being included in the monthly Windows/Office/etc. fix. As I gather you are not a fan of automatic updates, you may also not be aware that Microsoft sends them out on the second Tuesday of every calendar month, though it's usually Thursday when I get them—perhaps I'll get SP2 tomorrow: but the elderly are so impatient.
Ah, now I see. Thanks.

If I understand it correctly, MS does a kind of "rolling rollout" of updates. Rather than try to push them out to everyone on the planet on a given date, they spread it out a bit (which'd account for your not seeing them until a day or three later.)

The semi-elderly and wounded have their impatient moments too. SP1 dinged me rather badly. It fixed several serious problems with the original release of Office 2007 but introduced what was, to me, an even worse one, a bug that crippled several of my add-ins. My customers have been remarkably patient about it but I'm VERY happy to see that SP2 resolves the problem.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:
Quote:
fixed several serious problems with the original release of Office 2007 but introduced what was, to me, an even worse one, a bug that crippled several of my add-ins
I've heard that the last SP for Office 2003 solved several potentially unsafe, but useful, applications by just removing them; of course only the people that used those facilities noticed, and Microsoft saved a lot of money.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:
I've heard that the last SP for Office 2003 solved several potentially unsafe, but useful, applications by just removing them; of course only the people that used those facilities noticed, and Microsoft saved a lot of money.
Michael,

I know it disabled older versions of some of the file formats it supported. I hadn't heard that it actually removed applications. Do you know which, offhand?

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:
Quote:
I know SP3 disabled older versions of some of the file formats it supported
Perhaps I got it wrong: read the Office Watch article—

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.asp...=657&zoneid=12

I notice there's a bit about add-ins that SP3 doesn't like any more . . .

There's a lot about Office 2007 SP2 too in the current Office Watch news, but you'd best see for yourself.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:
Perhaps I got it wrong: read the Office Watch article—

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.asp...=657&zoneid=12

I notice there's a bit about add-ins that SP3 doesn't like any more . . .

There's a lot about Office 2007 SP2 too in the current Office Watch news, but you'd best see for yourself.
Michael,

Thanks for the link. Most of the things that MS has disabled/removed, including support for most of the older file formats, seem to be reversible (via registry changes).

Fast Saves is *finally* dead. My only complaint abut that is "Took you long enough, didn't it?" It should've died in a service pack to Office 97. It wouldn't have been such a bad idea in Office 4 but by the time it was implemented, hardware had already solved the original problem and the feature added new problems of its own.

The note about add-ins is interesting though.

"ActiveX controls, and COM add-ins are checked by SP3 when they load up - if SP3 believes them to be security risks they'll be disabled. That's somewhat reasonable but it means that an add-in that worked fine in Office 2003 will stop unceremoniously once you install SP3."

It's not clear exactly what "checked" means or what criteria are used to separate Good from Evil.

Or for that matter, what exactly happens when the supposedly "Evil" add-in or control is disabled? Is the user given a warning or does it just stop functioning, perhaps appearing on the obscure "Disabled items" dialog?

Off to follow some of the other links to see if there are answers to be had.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:
Quote:
Off to follow some of the other links to see if there are answers to be had
I've had a look at some of them, but it's all very complicated; I think I'll wait until Microsoft offers me some updates (which is what Office Watch recommends. Did you notice about getting updates for Language Packs?

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simpler MS Office 2007 menus Michael Rowley Software 9 03-25-2009 12:00 PM
REALbasic 2007 (Mac/Win/Linux) ktinkel Software 0 06-12-2007 12:33 PM
Mac OS Update 2007-004 released ktinkel General Publishing Topics 1 04-22-2007 12:58 AM
Notes on MacWorld 2007 ktinkel General Publishing Topics 3 01-10-2007 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.