DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default PDF character errors

I have a PDF file that I downloaded from the Internet. It seems be indicating errors by displaying black triangles with question marks in them. This is in Acrobat 8 Professional running in Windows XP.

So I copied the problem text into WordPad to check the font of these problems. It was Arial Unicode MS. So I installed that and rebooted. I still get the diamond error messages in Acrobat.

What's the next step.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I have a PDF file that I downloaded from the Internet. It seems be indicating errors by displaying black triangles with question marks in them. This is in Acrobat 8 Professional running in Windows XP.

So I copied the problem text into WordPad to check the font of these problems. It was Arial Unicode MS. So I installed that and rebooted. I still get the diamond error messages in Acrobat.

What's the next step.
Have you tried opening the entire PDF in a text editor and then one that works in the same text editor and looked at differences in the encoding?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Michael Beloved

Usually those black triangle are Acrobat's way of saying that it does not read certain letters or that it detect a hidden object. Some text will reproduce like that when using Acrobat. I had the experience. It seems that some feature of the original text is detected by Acrobat and Acrobat reacts in that way.

If you want to edit that text, then you may import it into another OCR program like ABBY or IRIS.

I would be willing to try that for you if you do not have an OCR program and if the literature is not that confidential.

Last edited by Michael Beloved; 02-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

That is generally an encoding error. Mac users see them at many web sites, especially those using Latin-9 encoding and no entity coding.

As a creator, I declare UTF-8 (unicode) encoding and/or use entity codes instead of typed characters. I don’t know how to fix them as a reader — I think you would need the source document that was used to make the PDF.

But someone here may know better.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I just tried opening it in Draw and got an error. I've reached the point where the labor is greater than the benefit of fixing this. I'm going to use my backup plan.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One last trick in case you need it. Open it in AcroReaderBat, print to PS, import the result into Draw using the PS Interpreted filter.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote