DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default How can I crop pdf pages?

I need to crop some pdf pages before placing them into inDesign.

Using the crop facility in Acrobat doesn't seem to actually delete the cropped area which becomes visible again once the file is placed into inDesign so I need to find a way of actually deleting the cropped material.

The problem arises because I have three novels that are to be republished as a single volume. Each of the novels is only available as a pdf but the running heads are inconsistent and are, of course numbered within each novel. So I need to remove the original crop marks, running heads and page numbers before placing them in inDesign.

Once in inDesign I'll be adding new running heads and other material.

One minor point - the whole lot is supposed to go to press next week so any advice will be very welcome.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

AFAIK, the cropped area is set by a postscript statement that defines a cropbox - so it looks as if InDesign is ignoring that. You'd need to find a way of locating and deleting the unwanted headers etc - which sounds like a complex programming task.

This page may help you see what's going on:
http://indesignsecrets.com/pdf-place...n-expected.php

If not -
Is there a way to get ID to put the new material in another layer over the unwanted stuff? (With a white background to hide it)? I have never used it, so this may be a silly idea.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
Shane Stanley
Staff

When you crop in Acrobat, you get the choice of cropping the crop box, art box, bleed box or trim box, or changing the page size (aka media box). Whichever you choose, make sure you choose the same when placing in InDesign.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

Thanks for the help. I did try a number of things with varying degrees of success. In the end I took this roundabout route:

1. Crop the pages in Acrobat using the margin controls which allowed a precise preview of the cropping parameters. Trying to change the page size in Acrobat seemed rather hit-and-miss.
2. Save the Acrobat file.
3. Open the Acrobat file in Preview selected the appropriate page size and printed to Postscript.
4. Used Distiller on the ps file to generate new pdf
5. Imported the new pdf into inDesign

Bit of a long-winded route but I now have a 1104-page inDesign book with all the pages nicely arranged. Phew!

www.welshframing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Benwiggy

In InDesign, you can click on "Show Import Options" in the Place file dialog, and if you choose a PDF, it gives you options to crop to the Trim, ArtBox, Crop Box or Bounding Box.
As has been said, you can crop the apropriate box in Acrobat.

Selecting the TrimBox is very useful for removing trim and bleed in PDFs that are going on a larger page.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
In InDesign, you can click on "Show Import Options" in the Place file dialog, and if you choose a PDF, it gives you options to crop to the Trim, ArtBox, Crop Box or Bounding Box.
As has been said, you can crop the apropriate box in Acrobat.
You are correct but using the standard inDesign import options wasn't really an option with the need to place about 1000+ pdf pages that had to be placed accurately.

The script I ended up using might have offered that option but a few trial runs suggested that is was unlikely I could get the result I wanted.

Unfortunately it was one of those jobs where the deadline dictated doing it today and spending time working out how best to do it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, though.

www.welshframing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Whew! Roundabout indeed. Congratulations!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default PDF to InDesign conversion utility

I know you solved your PDF-to-ID problem, but I just saw a mention of PDF2ID from Recosoft, and wonder if that might have let you do the job more smoothly.

Here is the blurb:
PDF2ID recreates the intended construction and layout of the document by forming paragraphs; applying styles; regrouping independent graphic elements; extracting images; creating tables; recovering annotations and other elements automatically. PDF2ID converts every page in a PDF file to an equivalent page in the resulting InDesign document.

PDF2ID also provides options for converting or extracting data from a range of pages in a PDF document. You can extract text or images, or convert the entire document to the InDesign format.

PDF2ID enables recovery and reuse of the contents stored in PDF documents making them available for use by anyone. Since PDF2ID is a plug-in for Adobe InDesign it is not necessary to acquire and install additional PDF editing software and tools, resulting in huge cost savings in both time and expense.

It doesn’t process embedded fonts, which could be a problem in some cases.

Not cheap ($300 for standard, $400 for pro version), but might pay if you had to do a really big conversion.

The company also has a converter from PDF to Word, PowerPoint, HTML, and Appleworks; and one for PDF to Word.

Anyone ever seen this?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Thanks for that. I did try the demo copy and it looked good.

Unfortunately it wasn't any good for my purposes as I didn't want the content of the pdf flowed into ID, I needed the pages placed as the publisher wasn't going to pay me for resetting the books. Added to that was the problem that one of the three books was purely a graphic - we assumed it had been scanned into Acrobat from a printed copy.

At least the job is now done and delivered.

The reason for the rush is that it's soon to be on TV. I don't think I'll be watching it, however. I've not read the books but did spot this review of one of them on Amazon:

Quote:
When it comes to crime fiction, I like it bleak, nasty and nihilistic (makes my own problems seem less overwhelming somehow) but nothing could have prepared me for 'Nineteen Seventy Four' by David Peace. A bleaker, nastier and more nihilistic novel you'd be hard-pressed to find. This book is disturbing to the point of insanity, sickening to the point of physical nausea. Not just because of the harrowing plot and relentlessly graphic detail, either - but because somebody actually dreamed it up in the first place!
The reviewer, by the way, gave it four stars.

www.welshframing.com
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Maybe I will look at that video later, but the reviewer did not make me feel like rushing out to buy the book! I don’t mind nihilism, but prefer it not run to too much physical detail.