DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
marleycarl

Default need software help

hi i'm looking at starting a small local classified paper.i'm looking for a fairly inexpensive software to help design and layout the pages.ive done a little research on the equipment but finding the right software seems difficult.any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you.
marleycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
johnnyboy

I have just bought Serif PagePlusX3 because of its modest price. I certainly didn't buy it to produce a newspaper but it has certainly done what I needed it for. They have a very good forum also which I have found very helpful.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleycarl View Post
hi i'm looking at starting a small local classified paper.i'm looking for a fairly inexpensive software to help design and layout the pages.ive done a little research on the equipment but finding the right software seems difficult.any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you.
I assume you work in Windows. Serif PagePlus is the only capable but inexpensive layout software I know of.

Besides that, you should probably get a basic guide to help you with layout and type aspects. The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook (with CD-ROM) by Tim Harrower is highly regarded (I don’t have a copy). The link is to some used copies (it is expensive new). You may be able to find a copy in your local library.

Now please don’t take this amiss: But you will have to learn to leave spaces between sentences if you will be setting type on the computer. The spaces are what enable the software to adjust the lines.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Benwiggy

Scribus is free, open source DTP software for most platforms. It's quite capable.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
marleycarl

thank you for your help. I purchased Serif PagePluss, ( notice the spaces ) lol. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I assume you work in Windows. Serif PagePlus is the only capable but inexpensive layout software I know of.

Besides that, you should probably get a basic guide to help you with layout and type aspects. The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook (with CD-ROM) by Tim Harrower is highly regarded (I don’t have a copy). The link is to some used copies (it is expensive new). You may be able to find a copy in your local library.

Now please don’t take this amiss: But you will have to learn to leave spaces between sentences if you will be setting type on the computer. The spaces are what enable the software to adjust the lines.
marleycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marleycarl: thank you for your help. I purchased Serif PagePlus
Hope that it works well for you...I've never used it but have heard good things about it...

>>( notice the spaces ) lol. Thanks again

ROFL!!! Made it much easier to read your post...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
thank you for your help. I purchased Serif PagePluss, ( notice the spaces ) lol. Thanks again
Thank you!

Good luck with your newspaper. Let us know how it goes (or ask your questions — many of us know about newspaper design; and a few of us know about PagePlus.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Richard Hunt

The Serif user forums are now at http://forums.serif.com if you need help from other users.
Richard Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Richard Hunt

Quote:
Serif's PagePlus X3 will do the job.
The web site is at http://www.serif.com
One of the regulars in the support forums there, Mike Koewler, uses it to produce a weekly tabloid paper.

Richard Hunt
Richard Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote