DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Firefox is being a hog

Lately Firefox has been bogging my Win XP Pro system down dreadfully, often to the point of being unable to shut Firefox down properly and requiring a system reboot. But I'm wondering ... is it Firefox, or is it the particular web pages I have open at any given moment? Or is it my system? With all of the ads and animations and automatic refreshes and so forth on web pages these days I'm not sure what is to blame for this, but I am really Not Happy with these frequent bouts of 100% CPU usage. I try to keep as few tabs open as possible now (where before I never even thought about it) but while this seems to help it hasn't cured the problem. When I close Firefox the problem goes away.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
BobRoosth

I can only observe that I have not seen that as a problem with FF 3.0.4. Is it possible you have bad extension? You could test that by using Safe Mode

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Same version I'm using ... and I don't have very many extensions ... but that doesn't mean that one of them isn't bad! Thanks for the lead, Bob.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Same version I'm using ... and I don't have very many extensions ... but that doesn't mean that one of them isn't bad! Thanks for the lead, Bob.
Also check your history settings - it seems to want to keep 90 days worth of history by default, which I think is excessive. The more tabs you keep open, the worse that gets! And it can make a difference to the amount of data it tries to keep in memory - once that runs out it starts to juggle with virtual memory, which in turn can take processor time.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Also check your history settings - it seems to want to keep 90 days worth of history by default, which I think is excessive. The more tabs you keep open, the worse that gets! And it can make a difference to the amount of data it tries to keep in memory - once that runs out it starts to juggle with virtual memory, which in turn can take processor time.
That seems to be what it's doing. Thanks for the history tip - it was indeed set to 90 days. I'd call that excessive also! I honestly don't think it matters to me if it keeps any history at all, but I set it to 30 days just in case I discover later that it does matter.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
iamback

I just installed Firefox portable, and found some potentially useful hints here, too (though some are specific to running it from a USB stick, others are more generally about what can make Fx slow).

Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I just installed Firefox portable, and found some potentially useful hints here, too (though some are specific to running it from a USB stick, others are more generally about what can make Fx slow).
Oh, those look promising, thank you!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
iamback

BTW, have you tried using TaskManager or Sysinternal's Process Explorer to kill a misbehaving program? much less drastic than a reboot...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Franca
Staff

I use Task Manager (apps tab, followed by process tab if needed, and with Firefox it often is) whenever I can. But unfortunately, if I kill Firefox that way then it often won't reopen properly unless I reboot anyway, and by that time other apps may have been adversely affected as well. I don't know what "Sysinternal's Process Explorer" is. ??

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Franca, have a look at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...84cb9e2f5.aspx

watch the linewrap.

AutoRuns is a real gem too.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote