DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default My new old iMac blueberry

Someone has given me an ancient iMac blueberry, which I primarily will be using to retrieve old Mac files from CDs and DVDs.

I had a lot of trouble copying the files from the CDs and DVDs to my PC, possibly because of forbidden characters in the filenames, or maybe there are just errors on the disks -- whatever. In any case, I hooked up the iMac to an external DVD drive and was able to painlessly copy the files from one of the problematic CDs to the iMac HD. So now I can double-check filenames, change 'em if necessary, and sling 'em back to the PC.

So now I've got Mac questions. OS is 9.2 -- I see that on the splash screen. How do I find out how much RAM it has, and the HD capacity (can't be much, because there's not much on the drive, and it's got less than 4 GB free!).

How do I delete programs?

Is it still possible to buy a version of Stuffit that'll run on 9.2? (I anticipate needing to Stuff files and sneakernet them for now using thumb drives.)

Is there software in the OS for burning CDs, or do these old iMacs have read-only CD drives?

Anyone know where I can find a user manual online? I did a little googling but didn't find one.

Will I be able to network this thing with my PC? FWIW, I network through my FiOS router. There's a port on the iMac that looks to be a Cat-5 port (with an inscrutable icon I can't interpret). Does that mean the iMac has a NIC?

If I buy an external drive for it, do I need to get one that's specifically for Macs?

I think this might be an iMac 350, which would probably answer some of my own questions. I think it's got a 6 GB HD. 64 MB of RAM. No FW. CD drive is read-only, so there wouldn't be any SW for burning.

Is there an inexpensive Mac program for burning CDs (to my external USB burner)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions ...

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Shane Stanley
Staff

Really, it's worth about what you paid for it. If you want one to use more than once or twice, consider hunting around for something of more recent vintage. I'm sure you'll be able to pick something up for around $100 or so with a writeable CD drive and a bit more memory.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
marlene
Staff

The problem is that I don't know anything at all about Macs -- the various models, etc. -- so I wouldn't even know what to look for. I've checked the local ads (craigslist, etc.) and haven't found anything for less than $300, that looked promising.

I'd really prefer a laptop since I don't really have desk space even for the blueberry. I have to keep moving stuff around.

I only need a Mac to read the Mac CD and DVDs (at the moment). I wouldn't actually do any work on it, since I can't afford to buy extra copies of Creative Suite and whatever.

Anyway, this has been pushed to the back burner by my sudden need for a scanner. It's always something ... <sigh>

mxh
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
I'd really prefer a laptop
That's going to be a more expensive option, though...

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Yeah, which is why I haven't bought one!

mxh
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Anyone know where I can find a user manual online? I did a little googling but didn't find one.

I've got a copy of O'Reilly's "Mac OS In a Nutshell" for OS9. I'll pull it out of the "For Recycling" pile pending your reply. ;-)

Might also have a copy of StuffIt around here somewhere.

>> If I buy an external drive for it, do I need to get one that's specifically for Macs?

It's got USB? If so, you shouldn't have to. Plug in an external or a thumbdrive and see what it makes of it. It may just smile and go along for the ride. Or it may offer to format it for you. Um. Decline.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
marlene
Staff

Hmmm. Not sure I need a whole O'Reilly, but those are good books, and if you really don't need it ...

Yep, the blueberry has USB -- the slow kind. Two ports. It recognized my USB external DVD drive with no prob. I'll try a thumbdrive later in the week. The blueberry is sleeping right now.

What happens if I hook it up to one of the external HDs I use on the PC? My guess is that nothing untoward will happen except it will leave footprints on the drive -- those dimmed-out files the PC doesn't know what to make of. Like "Trashes."

FvH
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Hmmm. Not sure I need a whole O'Reilly, but those are good books, and if you really don't need it ...

I can send half to you and recycle the other half. Do you want front or back (sorry, we don't do odds 'n evens)?

>> - those dimmed-out files the PC doesn't know what to make of. Like "Trashes."

The ones that succumb so easily to gentle use of the DEL key? Yep, prolly so. No harm in 'em.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Howard Allen

Marlene--

It's a while since I've used OS 9.2, and it'll be tough to get good advice, because the vast majority of Mac users have moved on to OSX. But, having said that, I've still got a 9.2 machine that I use rarely for some obsolete software that won't run or isn't available for OSX--not to mention all my SCSI peripherals that won't connect to my newer Macs. But anyway, I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

Quote:
How do I find out how much RAM it has, and the HD capacity (can't be much, because there's not much on the drive, and it's got less than 4 GB free!).
Click the little rainbow-striped Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen (the "Apple Menu") and select "About this Mac". It should tell you how much memory is installed and how big the hard drive is. There will be a button on there somewhere that says "More info" or "System Profiler" or something to that effect, which will give you lots more information (ports, buses, drives, etc.). An excellent resource for Mac users is MacTracker, a freeware database application listing stats & specs of every Mac ever made. MacTracker tells me that--assuming you really do have the "Blueberry" iMac (as opposed to the "Bondi Blue" or a few other blue coloured versions), then it has a 4 GB or 6 GB hard drive (assuming it's never been upgraded) and will take a maximum of 512 MB of RAM. It will also run Mac OSX 10.3.9 (Panther), in case you were able to find a cheap copy. You would also have to max-out the RAM and install a bigger hard drive (max 128 GB for this machine), so probably not worth your investment.

Quote:
How do I delete programs?
Depends. Usually, the best thing is to use an uninstaller program that comes on the original application disks. OS9 apps stick files all over the place, so it can be hard to track down all the components. If you don't have the original software disks, you might find uninstallers online, or maybe just leave them alone.

Quote:
Is it still possible to buy a version of Stuffit that'll run on 9.2? (I anticipate needing to Stuff files and sneakernet them for now using thumb drives.)
I don't think so--at least not from the manufacturer (SmithMicro. This is one place where an OSX upgrade would help, as OSX has built-in zip compression. It's possible that there's a copy of Stuffit hiding on that machine, as it was pretty much a "must-have" application for the older Macs.

Your CD drive won't burn disks: it's read-only. And OS9 does not have built-in CD burning software. Roxio's Toast was de rigueur for burning CDs and DVDs. Again, OSX will burn CDs and DVDs, but for you, that's pretty much moot.

Quote:
Will I be able to network this thing with my PC? FWIW, I network through my FiOS router. There's a port on the iMac that looks to be a Cat-5 port (with an inscrutable icon I can't interpret). Does that mean the iMac has a NIC?
Yes, your iMac has 10/100 base-T ethernet built-in. I think you can network with a Windows machine, but I've never tried it with OS9, and I'm not sure what protocol you would use. ISTR that AppleTalk will work, but I could be wrong. Again, OSX...

Quote:
If I buy an external drive for it, do I need to get one that's specifically for Macs?
No, but you're limited to USB1, which will be pretty poky--maybe not an issue for your purposes. You will have to format the drive for the Mac file system. For the life of me, I don't recall how to do that on OS9, though it's possible the OS will invite you to format it the first time you plug it in.

Good luck!

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Yes, your iMac has 10/100 base-T ethernet built-in. I think you can network with a Windows machine, but I've never tried it with OS9, and I'm not sure what protocol you would use. ISTR that AppleTalk will work, but I could be wrong. Again, OSX...
I think Marlene might just manage with a crossover cable, but while the Mac will probably acknowledge the PC, I'm not sure if the PC will acknowledge the Mac...