DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Bad news in a credit crunch

I'm about to upgrade our Mac and Windows CS2 to CS4, and I got the prices (gulp). Now I find that, although My Dell is easily powerful enough, my G4 just won't run the thing at all, so I have to get a new Mac, and that means a much larger gulp. Have you seen the prices of the Mac Pro? They're twice the price of a decent Dimension (mind you, the G4 was the same £1500 all those years ago.)

The irritating thing is I can't see where to buy the thing at trade price, as everywhere I've looked just gives retail prices. When I speak to them, they shave off £100 or so, but on a £2500+VAT order, that's not a lot of discount. I'm still looking...

<Big sigh>

Old 11-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Maybe you could pick up a MacBook Pro at a decent price from the place Mike got his the other day. I know it's not a desktop, but I've been working happily with a laptop for design work for 18 months and wouldn't go back.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Shane Stanley
Staff

I second Ann's suggestion -- I've been using a portable for years. Earlier this year I added a cheap 24" monitor (I needed more screen space for a particular project), and I'm even happier.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley View Post
I second Ann's suggestion -- I've been using a portable for years. Earlier this year I added a cheap 24" monitor (I needed more screen space for a particular project), and I'm even happier.
I've got an Apple 20" monitor attached to mine, and it's great. Especially now that InDesign allows me to move the palettes around.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Robin Springall

There's not much difference in price between the Macbook Pro and the Mac Pro - they're both around £1500; since I don't need to buy new monitors and I like to use two at a time, I thought I'd get the 8-core beast. The other £1000 is to upgrade to CS4 for Mac and PC (yes, it really is a grand here).

Old 11-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
There's not much difference in price between the Macbook Pro and the Mac Pro - they're both around £1500; since I don't need to buy new monitors and I like to use two at a time, I thought I'd get the 8-core beast. The other £1000 is to upgrade to CS4 for Mac and PC (yes, it really is a grand here).
The real cost of the Mac Pro is in the add-ons — it is a la carte-ish. When I costed it out last year, it came to about $4,000 for roughly what I expected to move up to.

That’s when I bought the iMac. Not even close, but less than half the money.

Apple has a hole in its product line between the Mac Pro and the next step — which is, I guess, the MacBook Pro.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Mike
Staff

I found mine at Amazon - but they only listed one at that price. Still, now they've recently launched new MacBook Pros it should be possible to find some good deals on older models.

They don't seem to be included in Apple's 1-day sale so maybe you should wait for the VAT reduction - not that that will help if you cab claim it back anyway.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
but I've been working happily with a laptop for design work for 18 months and wouldn't go back.
But then you posted you have a monitor hooked up to it. So, are you saying you can do design work or web sites happily on a laptop with its own screen or only on a laptop with an external monitor? What size laptop screen do you think one would need to be happy with web site design work?

I have to admit I am very surprised how much I like my laptop, but primarily as a writer, not for working on a web site. I have a 14" screen. It's like the old days and having a tablet of paper in front of me, and it goes anywhere I want to work or utilize resources. But I have been working only on revision for a long time now. I haven't tried voice dictation for new compositions yet. And my impression is that it just would not do for graphics or web coding.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Not a good situation, I agree.

But it could be much worse. You could have been a housewife (I'm not sure I want to visualise that...) in 1969, needing one of these!

Can't help with finding a Mac at trade price though.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Robin Springall

Ah, a computer with a built-in chopping board, eh? Just what you should buy Clef for Christmas!