DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Microsoft Office Home & Student

It appears that Microsoft allows us to update older versions of Office with the family/school edition.

It has what I want: Excel, and maybe Word. (Also PowerPoint and Entourage, but I don’t use those.)

Are these fully capable, up-to-date versions of Excel and Word? Will I be able to read files from hot shots with the professional version (whatever it is called)?

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
Will I be able to read files from hot shots with the professional version (whatever it is called)?
I've never heard of a 'family edition of Microsoft Office, so perhaps it's a Mac edition. The various versions of Office 2007 differ only in the range of programs, not in the programs' individual capabilities, so if the update caters for your needs, get it; the programs will be the same as anyone else with the same programs.

You're fortunate: the home and student edition of Office 2007 does not include Outlook, so I had to get Office Pro; the cheap edition (it's really cheap) has everything else I use.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Sorry — the correct name is MS Office Home & Student.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

KT,

Yep, the Family/School edition programs are the same as the more expensive ones and if I recall correctly, allow installation on more computers.

But I think they're not intended for commercial/business use and they may not be eligible for upgrades when a new version comes out.

If you simply need to read/do some editing to/get text from documents created in the new 2008 format, you might be able to get by with the Mac version of the Office Compatibility Pack (don't have the exact name or URL handy but I can probably find it for you).

Unless you *need* the full Office 2008, you might want to wait 'til the next version of Office comes out. This one seems not to have been given as much time in the oven as it needed to become golden brown, crusty and full o' goodness.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thank you. My basic problem is that Excel is broken. If I could find the install DVDs (and I probably can — they are in the relatively current layer, not the Jurassic!) I could fix that, then update to get the best of Office 2004.

My next problem is that my farm delivery people are using the newest version for the ordering form. For that I could look for that compatibility pack.

I was thinking that updating would be a relatively affordable ($110) solution to both problems, but think I should take your advice to wait until a better version comes along.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And of course MS can't simply call the thing the same name on both Mac and Windows sides. No, it's the "Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0" (your average users will know to search for that one, uh-huh). Anyhow, it's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...CEEE520#viewer

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
And of course MS can't simply call the thing the same name on both Mac and Windows sides. No, it's the "Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0" (your average users will know to search for that one, uh-huh). Anyhow, it's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...CEEE520#viewer
Thank you. First I need to reinstall Office. Such fun.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I wonder if those of us who not only remember floppies but also remember USING them (not by choice but because that's all there was to use) are more averse to re-installs than those who don't.

Re-installing Office used to be a half-day affair if you did other things while feeding floppies when it needed them, or an hour or two of utter boredom if you sat, watched and waited for the next "Feed me" prompt.

Now, sorting through the install options can be a little tedious, but otherwise it's mostly tell it to go and come back a bit later.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
I wonder if those of us who not only remember floppies but also remember USING them (not by choice but because that's all there was to use) are more averse to re-installs than those who don't.
Steve,

Not having to install from floppies any more is another thing to be thankful for today. Thanks for the reminder.

Gerry
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:

Re-installing Office used to be a half-day affair if you did other things while feeding floppies when it needed them, or an hour or two of utter boredom if you sat, watched and waited for the next "Feed me" prompt.

Now, sorting through the install options can be a little tedious, but otherwise it's mostly tell it to go and come back a bit later.
That’s not what slows me down — it is the updates needed for four-year-old software. Microsoft is only slightly annoying on that score. Adobe and Apple products also need updating. (Do I have to un-register the CS stuff before deleting it? Bet I do. Then re-register.)

Granted, they do seem to let you make it all in a single step these days (I can remember when you had to apply each update in order, which was a royal pain), but it still makes it a task and time-taker.

So it is not all that hard, but it is not simple and mindless, either.