DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Templates?

The problem: Avid slot car racer would like to use some custom parts on his slot car at the slot car "nationals" in Feb. 2009. The rules require that any non-standard part used must be readily available for purchase in order to be legal in the competition.

Now, said slot car racer has no real interest in manufacturing and selling these goodies - it would be virtually impossible to break even, much less make a profit on such an endeavor. So paying a pro $1000 to set up such a page would be madness, and purchasing (and learning to use) fully-featured web design software for this purpose would be only slightly less crazy. I'm told there are templates available that can make this sort of thing quick and easy ... recommendations?

Mr. Slot Car would be most grateful....

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

What about good old WordPress? Easy to set up, provision for easy image uploads, good search, etc. And lots of support from people here if you get stuck. You can even have a free site with WordPress as host, though it doesn’t let you have your own domain name (at least not a plain one).

However, while I believe it is possible to have a shopping cart sort of thing, that would be complicated.

What is he going to sell, exactly? Plans? Actual parts? Produced on demand? Assuming (hoping!) that no one will want to buy?

If he can get away with selling plans, I suppose PDFs would do.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I'll bet he's not planning on selling anything but just having a web presence would probably satisfy the rules...

Am I right Franca??? '-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'll bet he's not planning on selling anything but just having a web presence would probably satisfy the rules...

Am I right Franca??? '-}}
He is hoping not to have to sell anything. I think all he'd need is a photo of the product, a small bit of text describing it, a price, and some way for a customer to order it. I'll have to check, but it's possible that ordering could be by email contact with no shopping cart necessary.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: I'll have to check, but it's possible that ordering could be by email contact with no shopping cart necessary.
I think that's a very reasonable approach...he could even state, "email me for pricing and ordering"

I figured he didn't really want to sell anything...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I think that's a very reasonable approach...he could even state, "email me for pricing and ordering"
I'm hoping that will be sufficient unto the rules ... will ask him if that will fly. That would make everything much simpler.

Quote:
I figured he didn't really want to sell anything...'-}}
Now, whatever gave you that idea? LOL!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

OK, it's confirmed - no shopping cart required. Phew! His project is now a whole lot simpler....

Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Just a simple page advertising the item(s) with a note saying please write to me for further info and pricing should ensure nobody tries to buy anything from him.

In this click-and-buy generation nobody's going to be bothered to post a letter.

A probably equally effective ploy would be to give a price and ask for a cheque (or check) to be sent with the order. A statement to the effect that no refunds will be provided in any circumstances should deter just about everybody.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Just a simple page advertising the item(s) with a note saying please write to me for further info and pricing should ensure nobody tries to buy anything from him.

In this click-and-buy generation nobody's going to be bothered to post a letter.

A probably equally effective ploy would be to give a price and ask for a cheque (or check) to be sent with the order. A statement to the effect that no refunds will be provided in any circumstances should deter just about everybody.
LOL! Perfect.

Now, given this situation, is there a simpler way to get this done than has been mentioned so far? If not, which of the suggestions would be best for a rank newbie? A friend of Mr. Slot Car recommended a site with templates you fill out (similar to PowerPoint templates, I'm told) and, once you get it all set up as desired, supposedly you then upload it (e-mail it?? - sounds wrong, but that's what he said) somehow to the domain. I'm probably the wrong person to be helping with this project since I know so little about how all of this works. Sigh. I'm sure everything I need to know is right here on the forum and elsewhere on the internet but learning about all things Web has simply not made it to the top of my To-Do list. Yet. Not even close.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
A friend of Mr. Slot Car recommended a site with templates you fill out (similar to PowerPoint templates, I'm told) and, once you get it all set up as desired, supposedly you then upload it (e-mail it?? - sounds wrong, but that's what he said) somehow to the domain.
I now have a link to the above recommended site. Any thoughts on this idea vs. WordPress and/or Joomla! ?