DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Windows Help Forum

Do you have a favorite forum to get Windows help?

Many times, DTP forum members know about Windows problems, but I am sure there are specialized forums that provide more help, often just by searching.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

WUGNET is still going strong, although like us, it's outside CompuServe these days.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default WUGNET means Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
WUGNET is still going strong, although like us, it's outside CompuServe these days.
WUGNET requires Adobe Flash installed.

For me, that means switching to Internet Explorer for WUGNET. My default browser is Firefox 2.0.0.17, but I refuse to install Flash there, WUGNET seems to be using Flash for ads and pop-ups, both of which I have activated in IE 7. I only use IE when it is required by circumstances like this one.

After my rant about Flash, I must say I forgot about WUGNET, but now I am registered and have posted my first question over there.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Just for giggles, I had a look at their PowerPoint forum.

As near as I can tell from a quick look, there's no there there. All the content is siphoned from Microsoft's public newsgroup. At least they do acknowledge it.

Kinda pathetic. I'll have a look at some of the other forums but if they're all ... um ... well, stolen ... I'll pass.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default WUGNET Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post

As near as I can tell from a quick look, there's no there there. All the content is siphoned from Microsoft's public newsgroup. At least they do acknowledge it.

Kinda pathetic. I'll have a look at some of the other forums but if they're all ... um ... well, stolen ... I'll pass.
I look for answers to questions I post, not to content there, which I can find on Microsoft's web site. The difficulty lies in trying the search term needed to produce an answer. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes not. Also, I look in my reference books on Windows.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:

Goodness me! They used to have a great team of the sort of people who staffed all the CompuServe forums – knowledgeable users who would spend time researching and answering others' questions and making sure that the answers were correct and peertinent. A great community...

Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default WUGNET Forum Responses

Quote:
Goodness me! They used to have a great team of the sort of people who staffed all the CompuServe forums – knowledgeable users who would spend time researching and answering others' questions and making sure that the answers were correct and pertinent. A great community...
I have posted two questions, and we will see how they respond.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It may be that some of the forums are staffed by WUGNet members. I only looked at a couple of the forums related to Office and found mostly questions and answers from the MS newsgroups.

On the other hand, the WUGNet web view of the MS newsgroup content sucks *considerably* less than MS' own web view of things. If you don't have a newsreader or choose not to use one (or your employer bans newsgroups, which some do) WUGNet may be a more usable way to get the info that MS' web view.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
It may be that some of the forums are staffed by WUGNet members. I only looked at a couple of the forums related to Office and found mostly questions and answers from the MS newsgroups.

On the other hand, the WUGNet web view of the MS newsgroup content sucks *considerably* less than MS' own web view of things. If you don't have a newsreader or choose not to use one (or your employer bans newsgroups, which some do) WUGNet may be a more usable way to get the info that MS' web view.
Oh, so they're the newsgroup messages repackaged. Hmm, that's an interesting concept.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Oh, so they're the newsgroup messages repackaged. Hmm, that's an interesting concept.
I'm not entirely happy about the idea, considering that some of the "repackagers" are tacking ads onto what people could read with any newsreader free of distraction. There's one who appears to be selling memberships to this stuff and content "borrowed" from other web sites. Can't see any of it w/o paying. I'm told by someone with a subscription that he's ripped me off... damned if I'll pay him to find out for myself, and he doesn't respond to emails. Slimy @#$*^

www.pptools.com
and stuff