DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Google browser announced

Are the 'do no evil' guys about to become as reviled as Microsoft?

Today, after an accidental leak a day or two ago, Google announces the beta of its Chrome browser.

I already get annoyed at the various Google widgets and toolbars that many other applications want to install, and wonder if their bid for web dominance will unseat MS as the #1 evil empire? Especially if they end up killing off Firefox, which is already part-funded by them.

No link provided, as I am sure you all know where to look

[Edit: apologies for duplicating KT's post. I just discovered this morning that the forum has stopped remembering me so I hadn't spotted it as new - not logged in!)

Last edited by LoisWakeman; 09-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Are the 'do no evil' guys about to become as reviled as Microsoft?
Not sure. It is to be open source, and it is based on WebKit. But if power corrupts, Google’s size and power must have an effect!

Chrome seems to work differently from what we are all used to — wonder if many users will feel like adapting to it. Of course, if this new approach brings enough benefits, I imagine then we will see some of the changes will migrate to Firefox.

I read in the business papers this weekend that Firefox now has 19% of the browser market.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I read in the business papers this weekend that Firefox now has 19% of the browser market.
What does that mean? I have IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari, and I use all except Safari fairly often, but Firefox 2.0.0.16 is the default browser. So if I were being counted, would I be part of that 19% of the browser "market" figure? What does market mean, anyway, for software that is free to everyone?

I find the public reports and the thread here encouraging for me to try Google Chrome. Of course, a learning curve, but it doesn't sound very hard.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
What does that mean? I have IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari, and I use all except Safari fairly often, but Firefox 2.0.0.16 is the default browser. So if I were being counted, would I be part of that 19% of the browser "market" figure? What does market mean, anyway, for software that is free to everyone?
Market may have been my term, not a quote. I figure that they count number of pages viewed by browser, but it is likely I do not know. The figure, however, was comparing a recent stat with one months ago that gave Firefox 15%. So whatever they count, they counted again.
Quote:
I find the public reports and the thread here encouraging for me to try Google Chrome. Of course, a learning curve, but it doesn't sound very hard.
It does sound promising. And learning new things is supposed to keep us young!

Are you home again?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

I am posting this using Google Chrome. Boy, is it fast!!! Lovely clear interface and no issues that I have spotted after half an hour of fast browsing.

Only annoyance is that it will not import my FireFox bookmarks.

http://www.google.com/chrome/

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Kelvyn:

Quote:
Only annoyance is that it will not import my FireFox bookmarks
Eh? It did ask me if it should import the bookmarks from FireFox, I answered yes, and it has!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
I am posting this using Google Chrome. Boy, is it fast!!! Lovely clear interface and no issues that I have spotted after half an hour of fast browsing.

Only annoyance is that it will not import my FireFox bookmarks.

http://www.google.com/chrome/
OK, I give. In either Opera or Firefox:

I go to http://www.google.com/chrome/

I pick a language.

One link says "Learn more about Google Chrome"

Since there's no Download link on the page, I click that. It takes me to another page. One of the links there is a Download link. I click that.
It takes me back to the first page.

I click the X in the upper right corner. The stupid pages go away. I like the X.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
John Spragens

It seems to check your operating system and serve up somewhat different pages, depending. If I go there from my Mac, it has a button to sign up for news of a Mac release. If I go there from Windows 2000, it has a note that it's for XP or Vista. Either way, they aren't ready for me just now.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
It seems to check your operating system and serve up somewhat different pages, depending. If I go there from my Mac, it has a button to sign up for news of a Mac release. If I go there from Windows 2000, it has a note that it's for XP or Vista. Either way, they aren't ready for me just now.
It did seem to do that ... it claimed I was on Windows XP, which I am. But no download link, other than the one back to the starting page.

I guess that makes me a "go back" American, then, eh Michael?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
John Spragens

That's curious. I tried again from my work machine, which is running XP, and there was a big Download button in the upper right. So I downloaded and installed and used it for the rest of the day for my Web news reading. Worked fine, but I didn't push it or do any stressful comparisons.

One neat trick is the way you can grab a tab and pull it out to a separate window. Then you can drop that window back into the line of tabs, if you change your mind.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote