Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default A Ghostly Tale

or

The Mysterious Affair of the Missing Forks

My husband and I unloaded the dishwasher this morning, a normally mundane and incident-free task. However, on this occasion, with dishwasher completely empty and all contents put away, there was a conspicuous gap in the silverware drawer. Not one, not two, but four salad forks have gone missing. This is half of our salad fork inventory!

We are both certain that two days ago when we last unloaded the dishwasher the full complement of silverware was present and accounted for. Generally pieces of dinnerware, like socks, slip away one at a time, not in packs of four. We seldom even have four salad forks in use at the same time. We have checked and double-checked counter and table surfaces, drawers and cupboards, the kitchen trash, and even the regrigerator and freezer - and we are puzzled beyond description. I can't shake the feeling that there must be some obvious answer. Can anyone help solve this mystery??

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

No kleptomaniacal cats in your household?

I'm my dishwasher, so can't speak from experience, but is it possible that they've slipped down through the slots of something into the bowels of the machine?

Are you sure you had used them in the time since you last ran the dishwasher? You didn't put them out for a meal and then eat something else?

Not in your office, under the paper? It's always possible that that could happen here. I'm doing something, and have a tool in my hand, then hear the 'new e-mail' beep, and just have to check.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Bottom of the dishwasher was the first place we looked. Occasionally we do find things down there, but generally not silverware, which is heavy enough that it stays put during the cycle, and makes a loud noise if you drop it down there while loading.

If we'd put the forks out and then not used them they would either still be on the table or back in the drawer. It's very odd because my husband never uses those forks for anything but salad. I occasionally use one while cooking to beat eggs or stab potatoes, but only one fork is required for that, not four.

Silverware really doesn't travel out of the kitchen and dining room here, even absent-mindedly (of course we would have absent-minded silverware). I can't conceive of a salad fork (or four) leaving the kitchen; we just don't carry those around much. Missing spoons would make so much more sense!

Must be poltergeists.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Must be poltergeists.
It really is very, very strange.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The Mysterious Affair of the Missing Forks
My best guess would be that they are down in that little well at the bottom, where the drain is.

Or that they never actually got into the dishwasher and slid behind or beside it somehow. Or that one of you misfiled the dessert forks in with the regular ones.

Otherwise, cannot help. Now socks I can explain. Jack hides them on me. He denies it, but it is so often the only possible explanation that I stand by it.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

If we had as much accumulated silverware as my father does I could see misfiling it, but we only have 8 of each of the pieces in this stainless set (except for extra teaspoons) and it's quite obvious when something is in the wrong slot. The dishwasher swears up and down that it has not swallowed the forks. Don't think we can blame the cats for this either. I suppose we will stumble on them one day in the Wrong Drawer ... some drawer we didn't open in our search because we thought, "They couldn't possibly be in there."

Old 04-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
… I suppose we will stumble on them one day in the Wrong Drawer ... some drawer we didn't open in our search because we thought, "They couldn't possibly be in there."
Look in the sock drawer! <g>

Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Or better yet ... on your feet. If there's a silver one on the left and a black on on the right, chances are there's a spare sock in your silver drawer and ... and ... what was the question again?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
I suppose we will stumble on them one day in the Wrong Drawer ...
Franca, dear, trust me on this: you'd know if you had forks in your drawers <gg>
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

LOL!!! Those would really be the Wrong Drawers.

As it turns out, they were indeed in the Wrong Drawer (ahem - the wooden kind, Robin). Apparently they thought they could pass for Real Silver even though we know they are only stainless steel. We are not quite sure who helped them sneak in there but considering the aging process, it could have been me or my husband or - the preferred theory - the housecleaners. In any case, they were probably on walkabout a bit longer than either of us thought. At least a week if the housecleaners were to blame.